NBA Playoffs 2017: Kawhi Did You Injure Me?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

9 hours ago, Fez said:

I did not realize there were CBA contractual components to the All-NBA awards; that's pretty nuts. I'd assumed players sometimes have incentive clauses in their contracts, but to have specific extensions and exemptions only available on the basis of the results of outside voting seems real weird.

Indeed. I'd never heard of anything like this before. Some of the other articles I've seen on the topic righly point out, that is a lot of power over players' careers, in the hands of 100 writers.

Those provisions are new, as of last year. Anthony Davis took it on the chin last year because of it. In a major conflict of interest, it set up the head of the players side of things, Chris Paul, to receive the largest contract in NBA history this offseason.

44 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It's intriguing what Boston will do with that number 1 pick.

As good as he is, I would not mind the idea of them trading Thomas, if it nets them George or Butler.

Fultz looks excellent, and I just don't see how the combination Fultz/Thomas works. And I'd really like to keep Fultz if I'm the Celtics.

As for Hayward, good player but to me slightly less valuable than George or Butler. Supposing that they can lure him, keep Fultz and Thomas, that is an obvious improvement but I'd rather have George or Butler with Fultz, mid term. This due to the size of Thomas' massive next contract and I think he will decline in two seasons.

In theory, you could have IT at the 1, Fultz at the 2, Hayward at the 3, George at the 4 and Horford at the 5. Not a bad starting line up, and they'd have a super deep bench. 

But that won't happen. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In theory, you could have IT at the 1, Fultz at the 2, Hayward at the 3, George at the 4 and Horford at the 5. Not a bad starting line up, and they'd have a super deep bench. 

But that won't happen. 

Maybe Jaylen Brown (after he puts on a few pounds of muscle) at the 4. I don't see Paul George happening. Maybe trade Isaiah, as suggested, put Fultz at the 1 and Bradley at the 2.

50 minutes ago, sperry said:

Those provisions are new, as of last year. Anthony Davis took it on the chin last year because of it. In a major conflict of interest, it set up the head of the players side of things, Chris Paul, to receive the largest contract in NBA history this offseason.

Waste of money, that is. 

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Maybe Jaylen Brown (after he puts on a few pounds of muscle) at the 4. I don't see Paul George happening. Maybe trade Isaiah, as suggested, put Fultz at the 1 and Bradley at the 2.

Brown might not be tall enough to play extended time at the 4 though. And I can't see the Celtics trading IT, nor can I see any team wanting to trade for him. 

15 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The All-NBA Team lists have been released today. The most salient point to me is that Gordon Hayward did not make any of the teams. If he had, the Jazz would have been able to offer him way more money on an extension than any other team.  Paul George was also left off the list, but he can still get on the list next year. The numbers for these Designated Player Veteran extensions are ludicrous -- John Wall, by making the third team, is eligible for a 4-year, $168 million extension. Jesus Christ!

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/18/all-nba-team-awards-lebron-james-stephen-curry-paul-george-gordon-hayward

In what world is Rudy Gobert ahead of KAT. Towns' stats were significantly better, and there isn't a single GM on the planet that would take Gobert over Towns. 

8 minutes ago, sperry said:

There is no scenario with George + Fultz.

Maybe in some dream world you could trade IT + next year's Nets first rounder for George, but that's still highway robbery for a player like PG-13.  In addition, I don't see how the Celtics could possibly pay George and Haywood, both those guys are going to need max deals, and the Celtics only have ~20 million free. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In what world is Rudy Gobert ahead of KAT. Towns' stats were significantly better, and there isn't a single GM on the planet that would take Gobert over Towns. 

I tend to agree, but Gobert is worthy of being considered one of the best big men in the league. His team game is pretty damn schweet. 

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

KAT has the better upside is why. He's much better offensively than Gobert. But as of this year Gobert is still miles ahead of KAT on the defensive end, particularly team defense. His style is very Bill Russell like.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It is really unfortunate that being a rude, abrasive asshole is sufficient to make someone a celebrity.  I don't know why Lonzo Ball puts up with it. 

It's also sufficient to make someone the president, apparently.

Archived