NBA Playoffs 2017: Kawhi Did You Injure Me?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

41 minutes ago, sperry said:

Cavs have to be the favorites at this point.

Also, if we end up with the double sweep, which seems likely, there is a 9 day break before the first finals game. I mean I guess they can try to set up some Super Bowl style events, but still, what a terrible schedule.

I think the issue is that, since the Finals are on ABC during primetime, they have to set the date ahead of time since they have to schedule the series around their regular primetime programming.  

One, I absolutely find it hilarious James was left off MVP ballot. But, we all know as with Jordan it just gets boring voting for the same guy every year. Two, this has nothing to do with the competition. What you're seeing is one of the greatest to ever play at peak level of play. I've said it before on this very forum, but LeBron is nowhere near falling off, he is still on the up. And to think of the comments about how shitty the Cavs were 2 months ago...

Yea, the Dubs won't be a cake walk. But, as a basketball fan, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for them. Reminds me of the Suns stacking a team to compete with Peak Jordan. I think the Dubs will have to compete with Peak LeBron and its gonna be tough to knock off a "Peak" top 5 guy All-Time. They had to beat him 2 years ago all by his lonesome.

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

One, I absolutely find it hilarious James was left off MVP ballot. But, we all know as with Jordan it just gets boring voting for the same guy every year. Two, this has nothing to do with the competition. What you're seeing is one of the greatest to ever play at peak level of play. I've said it before on this very forum, but LeBron is nowhere near falling off, he is still on the up. And to think of the comments about how shitty the Cavs were 2 months ago...

One. He wasn't left off. He just finished fourth. Two, half the argument of the MVP is defining the criteria. He is the consensus best player currently, but that's not quite what the voters are looking for. It seems more of a pageant, and in that case, its hard to argue against Westbrook or Harden's flashy numbers and story. 

And the Cavs were shitty then. Whatever the reason was, I don't think that's arguable and it probably affected the MVP voting as well.

25 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

One. He wasn't left off. He just finished fourth. Two, half the argument of the MVP is defining the criteria. He is the consensus best player currently, but that's not quite what the voters are looking for. It seems more of a pageant, and in that case, its hard to argue against Westbrook or Harden's flashy numbers and story. 

And the Cavs were shitty then. Whatever the reason was, I don't think that's arguable and it probably affected the MVP voting as well.

Oh, you don't have to explain anything to me, I understand it well. But, the Cavs weren't shitty then, they were just putting through the regular season. I don't see how that would make them shitty... Its just a failure of people to understand what they're seeing and what is important to that team. And, I knew that they would play at a different level when the playoffs begun. Its all that matters. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh, you don't have to explain anything to me, I understand it well. But, the Cavs weren't shitty then, they were just putting through the regular season. I don't see how that would make them shitty... Its just a failure of people to understand what they're seeing and what is important to that team. And, I knew that they would play at a different level when the playoffs begun. Its all that matters. 

Well, you were pretty indignant about it. Anyway, as I said, whatever the reason was, they were not performing. Whether they were sandbagging or conserving energy or holding their cards or developing chemistry is besides the point. It shows in their record and it shows in the stats. They were bad.

11 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Well, you were pretty indignant about it. Anyway, as I said, whatever the reason was, they were not performing. Whether they were sandbagging or conserving energy or holding their cards or developing chemistry is besides the point. It shows in their record and it shows in the stats. They were bad.

Yes, it's besides the point. They're 13-0 and steamrolling through the playoffs. James is showing why it's laughable he's not the MVP every year. How they play in January really doesn't matter, was my point. Anyone who understands the NBA would not even concern themselves with it. And, I said as much here on this forum, while everyone was saying they was washed up.

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yes, it's besides the point. They're 13-0 and steamrolling through the playoffs. James is showing why it's laughable he's not the MVP every year. How they play in January really doesn't matter, was my point. Anyone who understands the NBA would not even concern themselves with it. And, I said as much here on this forum, while everyone was saying they was washed up.

You know what? I'm not going to bother circling this with you. We're right back where we started.

So these top 3 finalists for each award are a bit fuzzy to me.

What I've found out for sure is that these top 3 are based on votes from sportswriters and media ppl and whatnot. And that they were all submitted before the playoffs began. So anything that happened in the playoffs had no effect.

Now I don't know what that means next. As in, are they going to now have a new vote only between those top 3 or has each award already been voted on and they are just unveiling the top 3 for suspense?

Also LOL Kawhi Leonard has finished ahead of Lebron for mvp 2 years in a row.

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

The bolded is just silly. Of course it has to do with the competition. Who you play is half the equation, every night. He is one of the greatest, no doubt, but you can't discount the level of competition. That's ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, the Dubs won't be a cake walk. But, as a basketball fan, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for them. Reminds me of the Suns stacking a team to compete with Peak Jordan. I think the Dubs will have to compete with Peak LeBron and its gonna be tough to knock off a "Peak" top 5 guy All-Time. They had to beat him 2 years ago all by his lonesome.

You must be huffing Bron-Bron farts. None of those teams took Jordan to a Game 7. None of those teams had him down 3-1. I don't believe any of those teams had home court. If Draymond doesn't self-destruct, the Cavs are going down. This is going to be glorious.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You must be huffing Bron-Bron farts. None of those teams took Jordan to a Game 7. None of those teams had him down 3-1. I don't believe any of those teams had home court. If Draymond doesn't self-destruct, the Cavs are going down. This is going to be glorious.

Yeah, but LeBron looks even better this year than he did last year.  It's like winning that title for Cleveland took the monkey off his back and now he's fully seeing the matrix.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Yeah, but LeBron looks even better this year than he did last year.  It's like winning that title for Cleveland took the monkey off his back and now he's fully seeing the matrix.

Yes! He's clearly not human. He's better, a year older, despite being in his 30's. Someone earlier posted that he's somehow faster now than he was at 25. 

You guys might want to consider the lack of competition here. The past two games he's walked into the paint and been given layups like they were blocks of gubmnint cheese. This is not going to happen against Golden State.  

The real question is where the Celtics go from here.  I thought this would be either a sweep or a 4-1 win for the Cavs, but I thought the games would generally be close.  I don't think anyone was prepared for that all-time great ass whooping the Cavs laid down in game two.  Like, I halfway expect the Celtics to just forfeit the series after that.  And I now question where they go from here.  

That Horford contract is looking every bit as bad as I thought it would when they signed him, too.  Just seemed really dumb to sign a guy who gets his ass kicked by Thompson and Love like it's his job to a long-term, superstar contract when the East will likely go through a team with Thompson and Love for the duration of the contract.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ouch. And Kawhi is out tonight. Looks like we're going to get that 9 day layoff between series. Boo. 

Honestly, this Celtics/Cavs series was over already.  I actually expect the Celtics to be a bit better without Thomas against the Cavs.  I mean, they can't be any worse than last night, right? 

Right?

By the way, if I were a team playing LeBron in the playoffs and the media asked me a question about it, I think I'd just decline to answer.  It seems like other teams keep giving him bulletin board material and it seems insane to me that people keep doing that.  I know people want to look tough and say they aren't afraid of LeBron, but maybe just keeping your mouth shut and hoping he goes easy on you is the better option at this point.

Archived