NBA Playoffs 2017: Kawhi Did You Injure Me?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

He was solid in the second half, but he was terrible in the first. And worse, he looked lethargic. 

I didn't get to see any of the first half as I was driving home from work. I think maybe we're taking something away from the Celt's effort here. I had the game on the radio, so I can't speak with 100% confidence here, but the announcers were really impressed with their ball movement and patience as far as working for the open shot and whatnot.

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Nice. Keep up the good work. As an ex-degenerate sports gambler I will continue to live vicariously through you. Keep us updated. I love hearing stuff like this. 

Heh, I am also a total degenerate.  I truly believe that if I had the discipline to only play the games where I believed the betting lines were incorrect I could grind out a profit. Problem is, I have no discipline and will just bet to bet. My only saving grace is that I will only buy in once a season, so I don't have to worry about jeopardizing my finances. I put in my couple hundred bucks every year, knowing that I will inevitably lose it all, but I enjoy it so it's well worth it.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Heh, I am also a total degenerate.  I truly believe that if I had the discipline to only play the games where I believed the betting lines were incorrect I could grind out a profit. Problem is, I have no discipline and will just bet to bet. My only saving grace is that I will only buy in once a season, so I don't have to worry about jeopardizing my finances. I put in my couple hundred bucks every year, knowing that I will inevitably lose it all, but I enjoy it so it's well worth it.

Yeah, it was almost like an addiction on top of an already existing addiction for me. It just adds that extra measure of excitement to watching a game, for sure. 

Okay, quick disclaimer here. I know this sort of thing isn't LeBron's fault per say, but is this type of fellating that adds to my sportshatred of him...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-shows-us-yet-again-how-dumb-we-look-not-making-him-top-3-mvp-candidate/

Really? Who do you displace in the top 3 then? San Antonio and Houston had better records in a tougher conference. Westbrook put up insane numbers all year. And roughly 80% of the examples the writer provides to bolster his argument are culled from the fucking playoffs which don't count towards the MVP voting. This is not the way this works.

Just another garbage hot take. LeBron was not the MVP of the regular season. He mailed in the second half of the season and his team was legitimately not good over that period. There have almost certainly been seasons where LeBron should have won the MVP and didn't (2014 being the most glaring example of this), but this isn't one of them.

But you're right, this isn't LeBron's fault. This is the internet's fault, where zero-cost distribution has made it so that the only way that you can stand out in the sports media crowd is by providing brilliant analysis (like Zach Lowe), being objectively funny and entertaining (like Bill Simmons), or just being an asshat saying ridiculous shit that will get people riled up. Since the overwhelming majority of people in the field don't have the talents of the first two categories, that only leaves #3.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I didn't get to see any of the first half as I was driving home from work. I think maybe we're taking something away from the Celt's effort here. I had the game on the radio, so I can't speak with 100% confidence here, but the announcers were really impressed with their ball movement and patience as far as working for the open shot and whatnot.

That makes a lot of sense. In the first half LeBron was really sloppy, picking up silly fools out of laziness and unwilling to finish with force at the rim. That all changed after half time. 

As for the Celtics, yes, they were really impressive in the first half and had great ball movement. However they can't shoot. They had so many wide open shots that turned into absolute bricks. They could have easily been up by 20 at half time. 

I feel like maybe they should rename the award "regular season MVP".  Even though everyone ought to know it's a regular season award, they still keep bringing up the postseason as somehow relevant in whether voters "got it right". 

Lebron was not the MVP of the regular season.  I don't blame him for taking it easy in the regular season, because his legacy is built on postseason success.  MVP awards are almost held against him in the greatness rankings, because when he wins the MVP and fails to win the championship it is like a personal failing.  So Lebron is happy to let Westbrook and Harden exhaust themselves for their paltry MVP award.  He wants something more. 

16 minutes ago, sperry said:

Just another garbage hot take. LeBron was not the MVP of the regular season. He mailed in the second half of the season and his team was legitimately not good over that period. There have almost certainly been seasons where LeBron should have won the MVP and didn't (2014 being the most glaring example of this), but this isn't one of them.

But you're right, this isn't LeBron's fault. This is the internet's fault, where zero-cost distribution has made it so that the only way that you can stand out in the sports media crowd is by providing brilliant analysis (like Zach Lowe), being objectively funny and entertaining (like Bill Simmons), or just being an asshat saying ridiculous shit that will get people riled up. Since the overwhelming majority of people in the field don't have the talents of the first two categories, that only leaves #3.

I honestly don't know how these hacks manage to hold jobs. Writing is supposed to be an extremely competitive field. I don't know anything about the writer of that piece other than he should find a new field of work.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Can anyone else not wait for the LaVar and Lonzo Ball falling out?  It will be the TMZ sports media story of all-time.

I doubt it will happen.

That said, LaVar can be so frustrating. I actually support what he's doing, but he's such a flawed messenger and now he's turning into a total clown.

On 5/21/2017 at 7:40 PM, Triskan said:

Surely they're not better with Isaiah Thomas gone, right?

Just to get back to this for a second, Tyronn Lue said something that I initially thought was really stupid, but the more I think about it, it kind of makes sense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavs-tyronn-lue-celtics-without-isaiah-thomas-harder-to-game-plan-for-than-warriors/

Archived