NBA Playoffs 2017: Kawhi Did You Injure Me?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

While I'm not a Cavs Homer, I definitely inhale Bron-Bron farts. I agree with @Manhole Eunuchsbane that this is likely to go 7. As I said before, I have no hate for GS, they play beautiful bball. I will continue to go back to the fact that the Cavs own the greatest player of this generation. And that will count for something. When LeBron is on his game you see and feel the life-blood sucked from the other team. They are in just as much awe as everyone else. Now, I don't believe for one second that the Dubs will be cowed by Lebron, but if things go rough for them and Bron is putting up magical numbers and games, I give a huge advantage to the Cavs.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think the key point you all are missing here is defense. The Warriors can win games when their offense is off. Not sure you can say the same thing about the Cavs.

Cavs are second only to the Warriors in points per game in the playoffs. I don't buy that argument. LeBron is an unselfish player surrounded by shooters. They actually average more 3's than GS during playoffs. They can go toe to toe in a shootout. But, I agree, that's not the type of game I would suggest them playing. All that I said, I would probably give the edge to the DUBs in a shootout.

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Cavs are second only to the Warriors in points per game in the playoffs. I don't buy that argument. LeBron is an unselfish player surrounded by shooters. They actually average more 3's than GS during playoffs. They can go toe to toe in a shootout. But, I agree, that's not the type of game I would suggest them playing. All that I said, I would probably give the edge to the DUBs in a shootout.

I'm not talking about a shootout, I'm talking about the opposite. I think the Warriors are the better defensive team. The Cavs are better rebounders, but overall defense goes to the Dubs. They can win when the offense is cold if they're playing shutdown defense.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm not talking about a shootout, I'm talking about the opposite. I think the Warriors are the better defensive team. The Cavs are better rebounders, but overall defense goes to the Dubs. They can win when the offense is cold if they're playing shutdown defense.

Ok, gotcha. But, Cavs have looked better at times during these playoffs. Suprisingly.

Cavs will be fine defensively. LeBron will be the defensive monster that he is capable of being. Thompson is probably the best suited big man in the entire NBA to defend the Warriors. Shumpert is a good perimeter defender and will play. Warriors are the better defensive team for sure, but Cleveland is significantly better than their pitiful regular season performances would indicate.

To be fair, it's not as if the Warriors have played an offense anywhere close to the Cavs' offense yet either.  Utah is a team that struggles to break 100.  The closest the Warriors came to a Cavs-like offense was the Spurs, who were absolutely steamrolling them until Kawhi got taken out.  

@Manhole Eunuchsbane, but your assuming that the Dubs will be full throttle, all guns blazing. And if anything we've seen that the Cavs tend to not stop, but certainly slowdown the Dubs. As for adding Durant, there is only one ball and I have a feeling that he might not perform in this biggest stage like he is capable. LeBron is certainly capable of not stopping, but slowing down Durant.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

To be fair, it's not as if the Warriors have played an offense anywhere close to the Cavs' offense yet either.  Utah is a team that struggles to break 100.  The closest the Warriors came to a Cavs-like offense was the Spurs, who were absolutely steamrolling them until Kawhi got taken out.  

Very true. That logic works both ways, for sure. I just hope this series is going to be good.

3 hours ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

It's a weird feeling not having any idea what's going to happen going into this series. Like I wouldn't be surprised if GS won in 5 and dominated two or three games, and conversely could easily see the Cavs winning in 6 or 7.

I said the same last year and it applies again, a short series favors the Dubs and a long one favors the Cavs. I got the Warriors in 6.

Also one key difference between this year and last year's final is Curry's ability to drive. Last year he couldn't after the knee injury, but he's been mercing people at the rim this postseason. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

As I said, if I am Lue, I go small ball. Let LeBron roam on defense where he creates nightmares for teams. Kyrie, Uncle Drew, the Flat-Earther needs to show up on offense.

TT is the key player for the Cavs. If they can keep him on the floor with LeBron and Love, he'll create a ton of problems for the Dubs. Green will guard LeBron and Durant can guard Love, but who are they going to put on TT? McGee? 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

TT is the key player for the Cavs. If they can keep him on the floor with LeBron and Love, he'll create a ton of problems for the Dubs. Green will guard LeBron and Durant can guard Love, but who are they going to put on TT? McGee? 

Green can try and guard LeBron. Love is an issue, I agree. Though, if he breaks his woes vs the Dubs, the Cavs will waltz through these finals. I think this years Cavs is the best team LeBron has ever had. And, if they all come to play, I don't see them losing. And, that will be great for the league. GS adding the 2nd best player in the league and still being outed by the Cavs.

It's certainly the best offensive team LeBron has ever had.  I believe they are currently the team holding the best playoff offensive efficiency in league history.  His Miami teams were a lot better defensively, especially early on before Wade started to fall off.

It's also a complete disaster for the NBA if Golden State blows out the Cavs. They lucked into compelling storylines during the regular season because of the transcendent performances of Harden and Russ, but the regular season was awful overall. This is the worst playoffs I can ever remember, and unless Boston adds a star, you're looking at another horrible regular season and playoffs next year.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

It's also a complete disaster for the NBA if Golden State blows out the Cavs. They lucked into compelling storylines during the regular season because of the transcendent performances of Harden and Russ, but the regular season was awful overall. This is the worst playoffs I can ever remember, and unless Boston adds a star, you're looking at another horrible regular season and playoffs next year.

Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge, I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have a good to great team in 2-3 years. When James inevitably starts to wane I suspect the Celticss will be a perennial power. I think Gordan Hayward to be the perfect fit.

22 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge, I suspect this is just the beginning. They will have a good to great team in 2-3 years. When James inevitably starts to wane I suspect the Celticss will be a perennial power. I think Gordan Hayward to be the perfect fit.

Celtics have a ton of assets, but I think they're so talent deficient at the moment that it's hard to project where they'll end up. I don't think they have a single anchor piece, in a league where you need minimum 3. If they can add Hayward and Fultz is a star, they're looking great, but neither of those is a given.

Archived