What was Lord Hightower thinking???

Canon Claude

I get that Jorah Mormont was at the very height of his fame and prowess when he asked for Lynesse's hand in marriage. He was a war hero, he just won the tourney, but all that aside, he was still a Mormont. The Mormonts are a poor house in the North on an island known for being frequently raided by the Ironborn. What convinced Lord Hightower that Jorah and Lynesse were well suited to each other, or that Jorah was of a high enough social standing to wed her?

House Hightower is a Great House of Westeros. Lynesse should have been married to someone like Stannis Baratheon or Edmure Tully. They were both sons of great houses, and in the case of the former, the once-heir to the Iron Throne. Bear Island is no place for a Hightower, and everyone knew that except Jorah, Lynesse, and Lord Hightower, apparently.

Well you have to take into consideration that Lynesse is the youngest of his six children. Not his heir or even his eldest daughter. So no, she would not be a suitable match for Stannis or Edmure. She would be a suitable match for a lord of Jorah's status: not the heir to some paramount House, but not too poor either. 

However.. I will grant you that marrying her to Jorah specifically was kind of a weird decision. Like you said, the Mormonts are not exactly rich or influential or even that important. And a rich southern House like the Hightowers should have no interest in a distant northern House like the Mormonts. 
What I think most likely happened was that Leyton was just trying to get rid of her as fast as he could. It's possible that her greedy and shallow personality was known to everybody around her and he didn't care for her too much. And a minor daughter is dispensable. It would have also given him eyes in the far north. I dunno, that's just a complete guess, though; we know nothing about Leyton's personality. 

2 hours ago, Renly's Banana said:

Well you have to take into consideration that Lynesse is the youngest of his six children. Not his heir or even his eldest daughter. So no, she would not be a suitable match for Stannis or Edmure.

I disagree.

Leyton Hightower is as rich as the Lannisters and could probably go to war with the Tyrells and have a reasonable chance at victory. A daughter of his is certainly worthy of a Great House. Maybe not the direct heir, but definitely a second son like Stannis.

Though I seriously doubt that Lynesse would have had a better time of it as Stannis' wife. Sure, she wouldn't make him as miserable as Selyse seems to, but he would still be a bitter sourpuss. Though maybe they would have had more kids? Both the Baratheons and Hightowers seem to have very fertile genes. The chance of having a healthy child as his heir would help Stannis' cause in the wars to come.

7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Maybe she was no longer a "maiden" and he felt that a "Northern savage" wouldn't care about it. Where as if she married somewhere in the South her husband would freak out on the wedding night that she wasn't a maid and the Hightowers didn't want that shame brought onto their House.

That sounds more like something the Dornish wouldn't care about. Plus the Dornish would actually provide Lynesse with some luxury that she's used to.

12 hours ago, James Steller said:

I disagree.

Leyton Hightower is as rich as the Lannisters and could probably go to war with the Tyrells and have a reasonable chance at victory. A daughter of his is certainly worthy of a Great House. Maybe not the direct heir, but definitely a second son like Stannis.

Prestige wise Lynesse is better of marrying a Lord or the heir of the Lord than a younger brother/son of a Great House. That way Leton's grandson would actually be a Lord himself and not some cousin to a Lord. 

Leyton has at least 6 daughters, one of whom is married to a Great Lord ( Tyrell) two others who are/were married to Lords (Mormont and Ambrose) two to knights (Cupps and Redwyne) and of course one who is a maid. 

Lynesse has a good match. Maybe if Leyton only had one or two daughters he would have tried better, but as he has at least 10 children and possibly some grandchildren to marry then he is not going to expect they all have top tier marriages. 

IMO its a great match for Leyton for numerous reasons but the two that really stand out to me are. 

1) Leyton has numerous daughters one who is married to Lord Tyrell, and at least two that are older then Lynnese and they married knights which means Lynnese actually has a better match then even they do since Jorah is a lord and a famous knight who was knighted by the king himself.

2) Lynnese probably cost him to much money to keep in oldtown so thus BOOM send her north lol. 

Very well, let's look at this mismatched pairing.  Finding a suitable spouse is like scouting athletes.  You're hoping for future potential.  Jorah just won the prestigious tourney.  His father is a respected man of the Night's Watch.  Lynesse is the youngest sibling.  Hightower would have to give a big dowry to get somehow of high rank to marry her.  I am talking someone who is a lord of their own castle.  Jorah is not rich by the standards of the nobility but he could keep her comfortable enough.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. 

On 5/17/2017 at 0:05 AM, James Steller said:

I disagree.

What are you basing this on? They have money, but they still have nowhere near the numbers to take on the Tyrells. There's very little in the books to indicate that the Hightowers are a huge force to be reckoned with, in fact without the Redwynes and the Tyrells they wouldn't really be able to do much other than close port and huddle. Like the Valeryons, they're not what they once were. 

A marriage to Stannis would not be impossible, I agree, but still. Marrying a sixth daughter to the lord of Riverrun or the Eyrie would not be acceptable. I also highly doubt that, had Stannis married Lynesse, Leyton Hightower would have betrayed his liege lord like the Florents did.

26 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

What are you basing this on? They have money, but they still have nowhere near the numbers to take on the Tyrells. There's very little in the books to indicate that the Hightowers are a huge force to be reckoned with,

They have three times the strength of any other Reach House https://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q="What+is+Lord+Hightower+doing%3F"+Sam+blurted.+"My+father+always+said+he+was+as+wealthy+as+the+Lannisters%2C+and+could+command+thrice+as+many+swords+as+any+of+Highgarden's+other+bannermen."+&scope[]=affc&povs[]=Samwell

They are very likely the most powerful non Great House in the realm. They could take on the Tyrells, but their success would depend on the rest of the Reach. If many of the Houses stay neutral it could be a close call.

27 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

They have three times the strength of any other Reach House 

Which is not the same as matching the strength of House Tyrell. 
When you look at Highgarden's power, you have to factor in all of their bannermen too. 

15 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

Which is not the same as matching the strength of House Tyrell. 
When you look at Highgarden's power, you have to factor in all of their bannermen too. 

Not always. For instance Lord Hightower is marred to a Florent and his heir married to a Rowan, had he rebelled then the Florents may well have joined his cause rather than the Tyrells. Some may decide to stay neutral.  

Vassals in theory are supposed to obey their Lord, but that is not always the case as we see with the Reach Houses who follow Stannis rather than Mace or the Freys in the Riverlands. Both in the Dance of the Dragons and the Blackfyre Rebellions we saw splits in the regions such as the Reach were some Houses took one side over an other. 

Hey, you guys forgot this: 

Lynesse and Jorah fell in great love at the tourney. just like Rhaegar and Lyanna. This is a love marriage. Her dad supported his daughter to pursue her love.

Lynesse is very pretty and also the youngest child, how come Leyton did not care about her? He probably did not want to marry her to jorah since he is a far and poor northern lord, but he respected his daughter's love. 

50 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Hey, you guys forgot this: 

Lynesse and Jorah fell in great love at the tourney. just like Rhaegar and Lyanna. This is a love marriage. Her dad supported his daughter to pursue her love.

Lynesse is very pretty and also the youngest child, how come Leyton did not care about her? He probably did not want to marry her to jorah since he is a far and poor northern lord, but he respected his daughter's love. 

And because of this it would be more likely that Jorah might ignore the fact that Lynesse was no longer a maid. If she was indeed no longer one.

9 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

And because of this it would be more likely that Jorah might ignore the fact that Lynesse was no longer a maid. If she was indeed no longer one.

I fail to see the point of "maid or not" discussion here. There is nothing in the book mentioning or hinting about Lynesse's maindenhead. Just because she is a great beauty and she likes luxury lifestyle (her dad should be able to provide her), we can conclude that she might have lost her maindenhead before marriage? 

Archived