U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

Just now, Balefont said:

The thread title takes on a whole new dimension.

James Comey tried to blend in with curtains to avoid Trump's attention

LOL.

Trump told those in the room that the FBI director had "become more famous" than him. Comey then walked up to Trump, who tried to hug Comey. Wittes said Comey was determined to not engage in such an embrace.

Please, I don't want any orange swamp slime on my new suit. I'll take a pass on the hug.

I've pulled up the lyrics to that song a couple of times now to try and work them into a post, but nothing really seems to fit. You've got "I'm a man without conviction" which of course works for the Trumpinator, but then the next line goes "I'm a man who doesn't know how to sell a contradiction" which just blows the whole thing out of the water. Ah well, I tried.

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

There's a belief that when people dedicate their life to a cause and are forced to retire, their life loses it's purpose and they simply give up and die. So it's possible that Ailes' little black heart gave out when he was no longer able to sexually assault women and project evil onto the entire world. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's a belief that when people dedicate their life to a cause and are forced to retire, their life loses it's purpose and they simply give up and die. So it's possible that Ailes' little black heart gave out when he was no longer able to sexually assault women and project evil onto the entire world. 

I keep hearing that he slipped and fell in the shower and banged his noodle. 

Lol, the language used by Nixon in the day ('it's a witch hunt!') and his referring to enemies is getting a lot of play. As is his historic trip to Moscow, two months before his resignation in August, 1974.

They say history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme, right?

17 hours ago, commiedore said:

supporting and actively cheerleading the iraq war, and withdrawing his (would have been 60th) vote to keep single payer in aca, just off the top of my head

Ahhh... i see.  So essentially the answer for you to why Liebnerman is a terrible person is 'because he disagreed with me on a couple things'?

I assume you also think HRC is terrible? I eman, she supported the war as well, as did just about everyone else ni congress at the time.

12 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Ahhh... i see.  So essentially the answer for you to why Liebnerman is a terrible person is 'because he disagreed with me on a couple things'?

I assume you also think HRC is terrible? I eman, she supported the war as well, as did just about everyone else ni congress at the time.

Well, in context, I don't want her as Director of the FBI...

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well, in context, I don't want her as Director of the FBI...

Would you describe her as terrible?

I mean... i would...  I'd just be surprised if some of you guys would.

Just now, Swordfish said:

Quite frankly, one of my biggest issues with HRC is that she hasn't met a military intervention that she doesn't like.

But, as far as I know, she has at least admitted that Iraq was an error.

Lieberman on the other hand, as far as I know doesn't think it was.

I would submit that having a fundamental disagreement over the neo-con view of foreign policy isn't exactly a small thing.

6 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Would you describe her as terrible?

I mean... i would...  I'd just be surprised if some of you guys would.

Terrible is strong. I'm not a fan. 

Again, I think context is kind of important here. In comparison to Trump, I think she'd be wonderful.

24 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Also,

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/joe-lieberman-is-donald-trumps-ideal-patsy.html

Lieberman’s speech at the Republican National Convention that summer dismissed Barack Obama as too partisan and too unprepared to take office, while heartily endorsing Sarah Palin as well qualified and eager to reach across the aisle. Palin, he said, “reached across party lines to get things done. The truth is, she is a leader we can count on …”

I don't think that he's gotten any sharper now that he's 75.

50 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

The problem with Lieberman is that he became essentially Zell Miller 2.0; a guy who switched parties without officially doing so and used the fact that he hadn't switched parties to sabotage various party efforts. If he was just a conservative Democratic he'd be mostly forgotten at this point, its the party sabotage he engaged in that still infuriates.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

The problem with Lieberman is that he became essentially Zell Miller 2.0; a guy who switched parties without officially doing so and used the fact that he hadn't switched parties to sabotage various party efforts. If he was just a conservative Democratic he'd be mostly forgotten at this point, its the party sabotage he engaged in that still infuriates.

Which party efforts are you talking about here?

From where I;m sitting it appears that he was basically Sandersed by the party before Sanders was Sandersed.

He committed the high crime of not carrying DNC water and being critical of the Clintons, and so he had to be hated, and they set out to make it so.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Anthony Weiner has just pleaded guilty to transferring obscene material to a minor.

He will now be a registered sex offender.

Also in breaking news, Huma has filed for divorce from Weiner. Im frikn amazed she hasnt done this earlier. 

On 5/17/2017 at 10:19 AM, dmc515 said:

Just like Nixon, nothing about Trump's personality suggests he would step down for any other reason than impeachment and conviction were imminent.

Well, yes and no.

On the one hand, Trump's narcissism will make it very difficult for him to decide to resign unless he can somehow spin that in his mind as a "win." I think he is much more likely to actually force the Senate to have a trial than Nixon was, no matter what the evidence against him.

On the other hand, Trump is so incredibly impulsive I think there's about a 10% chance he would resign during a temper tantrum without even realizing he couldn't just go back into office the next week. 

44 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Which party efforts are you talking about here?

From where I;m sitting it appears that he was basically Sandersed by the party before Sanders was Sandersed.

He committed the high crime of not carrying DNC water and being critical of the Clintons, and so he had to be hated, and they set out to make it so.

One big one is that during the ACA debate, he repeatedly came out in favor of more conservative (relatively) policy positions as alternatives to the more liberal ones, and whenever those more conservative options gained traction he dropped his support and moved to an even more conservative option (and a couple times a more liberal one). He never actually took a solid stance, instead just helping to drag out the debate for several extra months; basically as a way to get back at the party for primarying him back in 2006. Even though party leadership was fully with him; it was activists that dumped him.

Another big one was endorsing McCain over Obama in 2008. If that's who he believed in, that's fine, but there's no denying that it was an attempt to hurt Democratic interests and Democrats get to be angry about it. Just like Republicans who endorsed Clinton were trying to hurt Republican interests (though long-term it may be arguable that it'd have been better for the Republican party if Trump had lost; we'll see). 

During Bush's second term he also endorsed GOP donors for ambassadorships who had been involved in swiftboating Kerry in 2004; which was completely unnecessary.

33 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Also in breaking news, Huma has filed for divorce from Weiner. Im frikn amazed she hasnt done this earlier. 

IIRC, they've been separated for awhile. Also, everyone should check out the documentary on him. He really is a huge scumbag. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html

Must read!

President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Archived