U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

Wapo:  Senior White House Official is being targeted by Russia Probe.

The law enforcement investigation into possible coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign has identified a current White House official as a significant person of interest, showing that the probe is reaching into the highest levels of government, according to people familiar with the matter.

The senior White House adviser under scrutiny by investigators is someone close to the president, according to these people, who would not further identify the official.

Hard to tell if this is a big deal or a complete nothingburger, since it is an anonymous source saying that "someone" is being targeted.  But it indicates that the trail doesn't end with Flynn and Manafort.  Although I would have been really surprised it if did. 

Speculation on who this would be?  Kushner, Tillerson and Sessions are all on record as having contact with Ambassador Kislyak, although it could be almost anyone.  The only person I would be really surprised at this point would be McMaster.

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

One big one is that during the ACA debate, he repeatedly came out in favor of more conservative (relatively) policy positions as alternatives to the more liberal ones, and whenever those more conservative options gained traction he dropped his support and moved to an even more conservative option (and a couple times a more liberal one). He never actually took a solid stance, instead just helping to drag out the debate for several extra months; basically as a way to get back at the party for primarying him back in 2006. Even though party leadership was fully with him; it was activists that dumped him.

Another big one was endorsing McCain over Obama in 2008. If that's who he believed in, that's fine, but there's no denying that it was an attempt to hurt Democratic interests and Democrats get to be angry about it. Just like Republicans who endorsed Clinton were trying to hurt Republican interests (though long-term it may be arguable that it'd have been better for the Republican party if Trump had lost; we'll see). 

During Bush's second term he also endorsed GOP donors for ambassadorships who had been involved in swiftboating Kerry in 2004; which was completely unnecessary.

What do you think his motivations were for hurting democratic interests?

And this is sort of my point.  There are politics at play here and a there are things for democrats to disagree with him over.  But it seems to me that the feelings about him are way stronger than that.  Why shouldn't he endorse McCain if that's who he believes would be a better president?  or is it your contention that he didn't really think McCain was better, and he simply endorsed him for the purpose of undermining Obama?

9 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

What do you think his motivations were for hurting democratic interests?

And this is sort of my point.  There are politics at play here and a there are things for democrats to disagree with him over.  But it seems to me that the feelings about him are way stronger than that.  Why shouldn't he endorse McCain if that's who he believes would be a better president?  or is it your contention that he didn't really think McCain was better, and he simply endorsed him for the purpose of undermining Obama?

Are you the sole and founding member of the Joe Lieberman fan club? We don't like the opportunistic, back-stabbing schlub. He's a fucking talentless hack.  

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Are you the sole and founding member of the Joe Lieberman fan club? We don't like the opportunistic, back-stabbing schlub. He's a fucking talentless hack.  

The real question is, have you ever seen me and Joe Lieberman in the same room together.........

39 minutes ago, Inigima said:

So remember when the Russian Foreign Minister was asked about the Comey firing right after that meeting and he said, "Was he fired? You're kidding"?

The current Russian regime loves trolling people. There's no way they didn't know.

I posted the story 2 minutes after it hit the site. It's since been updated and the WH has confirmed that Trump said what I quoted above.

Out of curiosity, i looked up Liebnermans speech and what he said about Obama.

Here it is:

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2008/president/conventions/videos/transcripts/20080902_LIEBERMAN_SPEEC.html

And here are the Obama parts.

Senator Barack Obama is a gifted and eloquent young man who I think can do great things for our country in the years ahead, but, my friends, eloquence is no substitute for a record, not in these tough times for America.

In the Senate, during the three-and-a-half years that Senator Obama has been a member, he has not reached across party lines to get accomplish anything significant, nor has he been willing to take on powerful interest groups in the Democratic Party to get something done.

Let me contrast Barack Obama's record to the record of the last Democratic president, Bill Clinton, who stood up to some of those same Democratic interest groups, worked with Republicans, and got some important things done, like welfare reform, free trade agreements, and a balanced budget.

Seems pretty un hate inspiring.

3 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Seems pretty un hate inspiring.

His speech was at the RNC.

His launch of "Citizens for McCain" also had plenty of shade thrown Obama's way - even if not by name.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2008/06/lieberman-announces-citizens-for-mccain-targeting-independents-democrats/

...but really, who gives a shit about Liebnerman. What a farce.

1 minute ago, Week said:

His speech was at the RNC.

His launch of "Citizens for McCain" also had plenty of shade thrown Obama's way - even if not by name.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2008/06/lieberman-announces-citizens-for-mccain-targeting-independents-democrats/

...but really, who gives a shit about Liebnerman. What a farce.

Right.  Like i said, the hate seems to come from being unwilling to carry water for the party.  I don't get that.  

Disagreement, sure.  I understand that.  But i find it pretty interesting that the vitriol seems out of scale with the offenses.  

Seems like a pretty clear indicator of the power of partisanship over critical thinking to me.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

In a weird way, he'd be an interesting addition to Team Trump. I can't imagine that the deplorables would take well to a Jewish FBI director. That bit could be fun.

For sure.  he could cause some interesting dynamics in that space.

just to be clear, i don't think he's a good choice for FBI head.  

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

Right.  Like i said, the hate seems to come from being unwilling to carry water for the party.  I don't get that.  

Disagreement, sure.  I understand that.  But i find it pretty interesting that the vitriol seems out of scale with the offenses.  

Seems like a pretty clear indicator of the power of partisanship over critical thinking to me.

Supporting McCain and PALIN - is not an issue of carrying water. Critical thinking is decidedly not on the side of McCain and Palin.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not a big fan of Salon, but this article from 2010 lays out some pretty good reasons to dislike the guy.

http://www.salon.com/2010/12/16/still_ok_to_hate_lieberman/

It's hilarious that in 2010 they thought they had to define the word 'troll'

Which party efforts are you talking about here?

From where I;m sitting it appears that he was basically Sandersed by the party before Sanders was Sandersed.

There is no valid comparability between the vile Lieberman and Sanders.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Wapo:  Senior White House Official is being targeted by Russia Probe.

Hard to tell if this is a big deal or a complete nothingburger, since it is an anonymous source saying that "someone" is being targeted.  But it indicates that the trail doesn't end with Flynn and Manafort.  Although I would have been really surprised it if did. 

Speculation on who this would be?  Kushner, Tillerson and Sessions are all on record as having contact with Ambassador Kislyak, although it could be almost anyone.  The only person I would be really surprised at this point would be McMaster.

Word along the rumor mill is it's Kushner. 

Archived