U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

9! NINE! days he 's going to be gone, he who can't stand not to sleep in his own bed in his own properties (HATES the WH). 

In any case this is a long jaunt for any new POTUS. For a guy who hates not coming home at night, who has no attention span, is ignorant and cannot be prepped, who has been whining about having to go at all and tried to get the length of time reduced to reduced -- what are his handlers thinking? 

Is the idea to get him OUT OF THE US and maybe then his flapping finger and mouth can be better policed as they try to keep him from drowning in the flood of scandals of his own making?

Does anyone know what the book is that he has a major public meltdown while on this trip?

This made me laugh...

It's not only Democrats who think it's a terrible idea for President Trump to make the former Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman his next FBI director to replace Jim Comey. 

Lieberman works at the same law firm as Trump's longtime lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, and an administration source tells me that connection — which could make it look like Trump is trying to install an ally at the top of the bureau — has become a matter of concern within the White House. 

Curious footnote: The Daily Beast's White House reporter Lachlan Markay found that somebody edited Wikipedia to remove Trump from Lieberman's law firm's list of clients. As Markay pointed out, the IP used to make those edits previously edited the page for White House senior advisor Stephen Miller.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The Senate has just issued a press release announcing Comey will be testifying in public before their Intel Committee, some time after the Memorial Day weekend. So when Trump is back.

That's going to be some good television.  Seems pretty clear that Trump is extremely worried about what Comey knows and might disclose.  Trump has been shitting on Comey the past week.  Time for some payback.

9 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

That's going to be some good television.  Seems pretty clear that Trump is extremely worried about what Comey knows and might disclose.  Trump has been shitting on Comey the past week.  Time for some payback.

Likely.  I do wonder though how the left will react if there's nothing to the testimony that we don't already know.

Acceptance in that unlikely event would probably prove difficult for many.

4 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Likely.  I do wonder though how the left will react if there's nothing to the testimony that we don't already know.

Acceptance in that unlikely event would probably prove difficult for many.

I'm not really expecting anything new.  Just a confirmation of some of the recent bombshell allegations, such as Trump trying to pressure Comey into dropping the investigation of Flynn and the existence of his Trump memos.  Right now, there are a lot of allegations that Trump has outright denied.  Comey's testimony can back up the recent reporting.  Or if the reporting was inaccurate, he can set the record straight to exactly what happened between him and Trump.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

I'm not really expecting anything new.  Just a confirmation of some of the recent bombshell allegations, such as Trump trying to pressure Comey into dropping the investigation of Flynn and the existence of his Trump memos.  Right now, there are a lot of allegations that Trump has outright denied.  Comey's testimony can back up the recent reporting.  Or if the reporting was inaccurate, he can set the record straight to exactly what happened between him and Trump.

Sure.  I'm in the same boat.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

You know what you are seeing there? Trump the man who bragged he was such a successful business man, who didn't pay taxes, because he was smart, very smart, smart like a fox. Who knows his section of the tax laws better than a lawyer.

And guess what, maybe he does read all those executive orders after all.

Btw, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that WH lawyers are reported to be researching the laws on impeachment. Not that they are expecting that to happen, but they don't want to be caught off guard.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

9! NINE! days he 's going to be gone, he who can't stand not to sleep in his own bed in his own properties (HATES the WH). 

In any case this is a long jaunt for any new POTUS. For a guy who hates not coming home at night, who has no attention span, is ignorant and cannot be prepped, who has been whining about having to go at all and tried to get the length of time reduced to reduced -- what are his handlers thinking? 

Is the idea to get him OUT OF THE US and maybe then his flapping finger and mouth can be better policed as they try to keep him from drowning in the flood of scandals of his own making?

Does anyone know what the book is that he has a major public meltdown while on this trip?

OK. So I've been told by people in a far better position to know these things than I that this trip was planned long ago, like right at the beginning.  The idea being the victory lap that showed him triumphantly telling everyone to do, they all falling in line and he'd be the toast of the world for solving All the Problems in a minute, like the the Great Business Man he is, making government run like a business.  All done, thank you, I'm happy to have fixed it for ya, when over centuries nobody else could!  Kiss my ring.  Give me money here.  Or else you'll all be fired.

Yah, that's going to work out so very very very very well. . . . 

40 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

The thing is there are thousands of people now living who have had dealings with this joker.  They all know there's fire where the smoke is.  They've smelled it, choked on it, up close and personal.  Heck, there's a whole city -- NYC -- who knows him.  Which is why it didn't vote for him . . . .

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Presumably Rosenstein provided or will provide Mueller with a waiver when he appointed him special counsel.  Luckily, Sessions doesn't get to make the call.

Trump can still cry that Mueller is biased though, and he can point to all the Democrats that are making similar arguments with respect to Lieberman.  That's why I don't like hearing about the arguments that Lieberman should be conflicted out of the FBI director's job because his firm working on Trump matters even if Lieberman himself didn't handle Trump matters.  The same argument can be applied to Mueller, if you believe in that type of argument.  

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

Presumably Rosenstein provided or will provide Mueller with a waiver when he appointed him special counsel.  Luckily, Sessions doesn't get to make the call.

Trump can still cry that Mueller is biased though, and he can point to all the Democrats that are making similar arguments with respect to Lieberman.  That's why I don't like hearing about the arguments that Lieberman should be conflicted out of the FBI director's job because his firm working on Trump matters even if Lieberman himself didn't handle Trump matters.  The same argument can be applied to Mueller, if you believe in that type of argument.  

Yea maybe but it'll be less effective on Mueller then Lieberman since Mueller is well respected and seen as independent whereas Lieberman is not.

Something I keep meaning to mention, after Special Counsel was hired (geez...when was that? Monday? Tuesday? Weeks ago?) the WH issued a plain vanilla, rational, press release, just a couple of sentences.

Someone on CNN, Carl Bernstein maybe, maybe their legal commentator, Jeffrey Toobin, mentioned that the big surprise about the letter was that it did not include the usual language about "and the White House will fully cooperate with any investigation", which they found significant. Some Trump talking head was very angry and insulted by the comment. "Of course the WH will cooperate, that goes without saying" she said. "There's no there, there, the President has no fears about any investigation".

Uh huh.

Archived