U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's so annoying to watch the press fawn over Trump's speech. It was truly awful and it felt like it was written by a college freshman. But hey, because Trump didn't vomit mid way through, piss his pants, and insult Muslims too much, it's viewed as a tremendous success.

Fucking idiots. It's mind blowing how low the bar is for this man.......

Well the press does want to find ways to give praise when it can, so they can appear to be somewhat neutral.

I don't know how significant of a hit this is to Murdoch. Some here might find it encouraging:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/rupert-murdochs-net-worth-drops-dollar16-billion-amid-string-of-fox-news-scandals/ar-BBBkqxr?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=msnclassic

Since the revelation on April 1 that longtime Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly had been repeatedly accused of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior during his time at the network, the net worth of Murdoch and his family has declined by more than $1.6 billion. 

51 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You have to give the Saudi's credit for knowing how to properly kiss this baby's ass. Giant billboards with his image posted all over the city, his image projected onto the front of the hotel he's staying at, ornate gold necklaces hung about his neck, etc, etc. He's clearly eating this shit up.

Yep. It's absurdly easy to make Trump your friend; as David Brin says a leading Dem really needs to take one for the team and do the same. 

Not to be outdone by the Saudis   "span data-node-flag="true">a

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has reportedly been forced to order his ministers to attend the airport reception for Donald Trump on Monday, after discovering that a number had planned not to attend.

According to reports in the Israeli media, an angry Netanyahu was informed on Sunday that party heads and a number of ministers planned to skip the reception after the White House had asked for the meet and greet to be shortened to the two countries’ anthems and handshakes only between Netanyahu and Trump."

span data-node-flag="true">ahttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/21/angry-netanyahu-orders-ministers-attend-trump-israeli-arrival

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep. It's absurdly easy to make Trump your friend; as David Brin says a leading Dem really needs to take one for the team and do the same. 

However, the obverse is at least equally true -- it's absurdly easy for Trump to turn from friend to enemy.  So, why bother?

Just now, Zorral said:

However, the obverse is at least equally true -- it's absurdly easy for Trump to turn from friend to enemy.  So, why bother?

It's actually a lot harder, it seems. He holds on  to friendships for a bizarre amount of time. Look at how he behaved towards Ailes and O'Reilly, even after it was not profitable for him to do so. Or Flynn for that matter. 

4 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Some graduating seniors at the University of Notre Dame walked out of their own graduation ceremony to protest Vice President Pence when he began to deliver the commencement speech on Sunday morning.

Do they think this comes off as anything other than childish?

Is it supposed to be persuasive in some way?

It's a transparent attempt to virtue signal, to draw attention to one's self.

Does walking out on a speech about retreating from unpopular speech to safe spaces qualify as irony? 

To their credit, it's a step up in decency from Middlebury-style disruption. 

Just now, Commodore said:

Well hey at leas they didn't show up with a bunch of guns and were like:

"Did ya know I was a gun owner! Bet ya didn't know I had guns! Seriously, I like guns!  Betchya, didn't know that!"

More seriously, I don't know what the problem here is. Seems a reasonable way to me to voice one's displeasure with Pence and the Republican Party generally.

9 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Sorry about the double post, buggy site is buggy.

Ironic.

Twitter co-founder sorry if Twitter helped get Trump elected.

https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-cofounder-sorry-if-site-helped-elect-trump-evan-willaims/

Seems to me that while Trump used twitter a lot during the campaign, it's a very long way down the list of reasons why Trump got elected. Somewhat higher up the list is the MSM giving Trump a lot of free air time and publishing his tweets for an audience who would otherwise never have seen them.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I shudder to think what "taking one for the team" entails.

In all seriousness, there was a lot of chatter during the transition that Trump was closer to Schumer than any GOP leader.  That obviously didn't work out.  I don't think anyone of the Democratic leadership should be "friendly" anyway, it strains credibility.  Now, maybe a "bipartisan" group of some sort to reach out to him, I could get behind.

18 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I shudder to think what "taking one for the team" entails.

In all seriousness, there was a lot of chatter during the transition that Trump was closer to Schumer than any GOP leader.  That obviously didn't work out.  I don't think anyone of the Democratic leadership should be "friendly" anyway, it strains credibility.  Now, maybe a "bipartisan" group of some sort to reach out to him, I could get behind.

Yep. It could've though. If Trump was smart though he would've pushed an infrastructure bill first, working with Schumer to make a bill he likes, and jam the Democrats. He'd have gotten a political win and split the opposition, and then he could've turned to tax cuts and deregulation. And after that maybe start on repealing and replacing the ACA.

Fortunately, it turned out that Trump's a complete idiot when it comes to congressional dealmaking.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Yep. It could've though. If Trump was smart though he would've pushed an infrastructure bill first, working with Schumer to make a bill he likes, and jam the Democrats. He'd have gotten a political win and split the opposition, and then he could've turned to tax cuts and deregulation. And after that maybe start on repealing and replacing the ACA.

Fortunately, it turned out that Trump's a complete idiot when it comes to congressional dealmaking.

Yeah.  To be fair Ryan is just as responsible for the ill-advised roll out of the agenda by making the tax plan dependent on the money they'd save on the cuts in the AHCA.

2 hours ago, Commodore said:

Does walking out on a speech about retreating from unpopular speech to safe spaces qualify as irony? 

To their credit, it's a step up in decency from Middlebury-style disruption. 

Is there anyway of showing disagreement with some position you would find acceptable or do you just expect total submission? Because this is pretty much as polite as it gets.

1 minute ago, TrueMetis said:

Is there anyway of showing disagreement with some position you would find acceptable or do you just expect total submission? Because this is pretty much as polite as it gets.

Its pretty telling that he uses "virtue signaling" as some kind of complaint.  Its basically "you're being a good person because you think it makes you look good, you monster!" as some kind of attempt at a persuasive argument.  You can't win.  If you try and be polite and signal displeasure, you're just virtue-signaling your goodness.  If you do anything else, you're a thug and a hooligan and nobody will take you seriously until you're polite.  He automatically assumes, and states, that the students' displeasure is disingenuous from the outset, so why even engage with him?  Its stupid as fuck.   

Unrelatedly, can anyone else imagine the shitstorm that would have popped up if Obama had been photographed with al-Sissi and Salman all holding a glowing white globe together while standing in the middle of a Deus Ex command center?  Alex Jones would die from the force of his orgasm, but apparently, Trump and this imagery is fine:

http://i.imgur.com/pzUe8G5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Kv4lCqm.jpg

Screaming at Fox News

Watch us be nutty another day

Hopeless situation

Endless price we all have to pay

Sanity it's beyond the Republican Party

There’s no choice

Diary of a Mad Party…………….

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/05/newt-gingrich-swan-dives-fever-swamps

Have you heard of Seth Rich? He's a DNC staffer who was murdered at four in the morning last July in the Washington DC neighborhood where he lived. For no good reason except his vague proximity to Hillary Clinton, Rich became the subject of conspiracy theories suggesting that he, not the Russians, had hacked thousands of emails from the DNC's email server and passed them along to WikiLeaks. When Hillary found out about this, she presumably gave the order to have him rubbed out.

Needless to say, this is completely ridiculous. Dave Weigel explains it all here if this is new to you.

Drudge and Rush Limbaugh were talking about it, and Sean Hannity devoted three nights to the Rich murder. Now Newt Gingrich has weighed in:

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

Thus...a protest?  To draw attention to to one's cause?

Considering your calling leaving the speech childish yet a speaker deriding the culture one of the various campuses he is visiting is not I find your entire position laughable.  Did Pence not get his safe space to comfortably deride campus safe spaces?

Archived