Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

Well, at least the British Media will have their story next season with that Klopp vs. Wagner thing. Prepare to hear ad nauseam that Wagner was his old teammate, served as his best man etc.

Anyway, it's true the new season starts right after the old one ends. New season ticket for me, 160 € for my club. Fair deal. Both parties were satisfied with that transaction. :)

14 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I have this crazy idea to replace penalties, every 5 minutes both teams have to take a player off, until someone scores. There are clearly many problems with it, but I think it'd be a more enjoyable alternative to penalties.

how mls used to end games. sadly Americans were slow to adopt a draw. all our games needed a clear winner. we did shootouts with style. 

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

During a penalty shoot out involving a team I care about I think it's the shittiest way to end the game, ever. However in all reality I do think it's the best and quite frankly safest way to declare a winner. I think back to some of the longest overtime games in the NHL and remember how incredible it was to watch teams playing into the equivalent of the their third game of the night. But the truth is, the play gets worse as everyone is exhausted, the risk for injury is greatly increased and the game often ends on a blunder or play that wouldn't have happened 60 minutes earlier. So yeah, it's not awesome but neither is running or skating players into the ground.

Meanwhile Wolfsburg is really playing with fire. They are betting on Braunschweig's inability to convert one of their chances. Oh and the audience at Braunschweig is classy as always (Mario Gomez is the son of a wh... chants), well at least they are not going full neanderthal right wing chants.

13 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I have this crazy idea to replace penalties, every 5 minutes both teams have to take a player off, until someone scores. There are clearly many problems with it, but I think it'd be a more enjoyable alternative to penalties.

In theory, less crowded pitch would allow players more space to attack but it would also give them more space they'd need to defend. They'd be pretty drained rather quickly. Playing 5 on 5 on the big pitch would be insanely boring. Hell, even 7 on 7 would be.

And let's not forget that both teams remaining with 0 players really is an option. What would happen then?

12 hours ago, kairparavel said:

During a penalty shoot out involving a team I care about I think it's the shittiest way to end the game, ever. However in all reality I do think it's the best and quite frankly safest way to declare a winner. I think back to some of the longest overtime games in the NHL and remember how incredible it was to watch teams playing into the equivalent of the their third game of the night. But the truth is, the play gets worse as everyone is exhausted, the risk for injury is greatly increased and the game often ends on a blunder or play that wouldn't have happened 60 minutes earlier. So yeah, it's not awesome but neither is running or skating players into the ground.

I still think NHL playoffs have the best way of dealing with draws. That's the fairest way of all of determining who the better team is.

Sure, fatigue plays a part, but everyone can play well in the first period when well rested. It's in overtime that fitness and focus can break, so whoever can maintain it longer and not make those blunders you're talking about is clearly a better team on the night.

Taking player off would be useless: Since you don't want to lose the teams get "shorter" and no one attacks. There are two ways to avoid penalties, both already seen in the past: Repetition of the match or coin toss. Coin toss would be the next best thing, since it's already contemplated in the rulebook in case of desperate situations (lights off).

I think that penalties is the best solution at the moment. Afterall, penalty kicks are not really a lottery and doesn't come down to just good luck. It takes skill and a good technique, mental toughness and confidence to be a good penalty taker. A coin toss is a terrible solution and I hope to never see a result come down to the toss of a coin.

New two year deal for Wenger.

He's earned a lot of respect for all he's done for Arsenal over the years and he's been a very good manager but this strikes me as a bad idea. There just doesn't look like much chance he's going to be able to turn Arsenal into genuine title contenders anymore. It was probably time to make a change.

I fully expected Wenger to be kept on although I thought it would be a one year rolling contract. A new manager would have presumably expected a significant transfer kitty to overhaul the squad which would have excited the fans but not the owners. While not competing for the league is disappointing to fans, Wenger has been great for the owners - keeping Arsenal just competitive enough while not spending massive sums of money.

Archived