Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

Well done to Real. Yeah, they did have some good fortune along the way but there was also some really good play mixed in as well together with the brilliance of Ronaldo. He should be adding another Ballon d'Or to his collection.

Scoring goals is a rather big deal though isn't it? And there is no player at Real Madrid who is better at it than Ronaldo. Without Ronaldo those four or five other supposedly better players would have ended the season trophyless.

A striker of Isco, Marcelo, etc.'s quality who pulls his weight for the team and gets the luck with deflections and refereeing decisions Ronaldo does and they would have won just as easily. If Ronaldo showed that same spirit this Real Madrid would be one of the greatest sides ever.

Seriously doubt it...but whatever floats your boat.

Ronaldo deserves winning the Ballon d'Or given that Real won the two big prizes and Ronaldo was top scorer for the team in both competitions. Him and Messi still stand head and shoulders above every other player in world football.

I hope we don't end up getting hammered by Real in the Super Cup. At this stage they are streets ahead of us so I'm expecting Mourinho to well and truly park the bus hoping to keep the scoreline down.

I swear this idea that Ronaldo doesn't do anything apart from score dodgy tap-ins had died a death a long, long time ago. But apparently not.

Ronaldo might not track back or press the way some other players do but his constant movement on and off the ball is a huge part of Madrid's attack. It's not just his own contribution, he makes loads of space for others. Without him all those other players you mention wouldn't find it half as easy to find room in and around the box.

Does he track back? No

Does he actively create chances for teammates using his considerable skill? No

Does he press the opposition defence? No

Does he hinder the team by demanding responsibilities such as free-kick taking that he is poor at? Yes

Of course he does not stand around doing literally nothing all game, but a player of his ability should be doing far, far more for the team as a whole as he did earlier in his career. Scraping minimum expectations for a 21st century forward should not be enough for the second best player in the world.

11 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Four or five better players than Ronaldo for this Real Madrid team in my opinion. Adds little to the team other than poaching goals.

I'll be the first one to admit I don't like Ronaldo, that I find some of his behavior (sulking when not getting the ball, not cheering when his teammates score etc.) despicable and all that, but saying he adds little to the team other than "poaching" goals is ridiculous.

The guy's been the CL top scorer for 5 seasons straight, has more than a goal per game average in close to 400 matches for Real Madrid and even if he did "add little to the team" other than that, it would be more than enough.

EDIT:

There seem to have been some problems in Turin, where people were watching the match on one of the town squares, when a stampede started. Serbian media report several hundreds of people injured, mostly light injuries with only a handful of major injuries.

Hope everyone gets well soon.

Clearly his role has changed at the age of 32. He doesn't cover as much ground as he used to. Besides, Ronaldo was never the type of player who would track back and for the most part he was not expected to. His work is in the final third and he is exceptional at it. The only point I agree on is the free-kicks. If averaging more than a goal per game for Real and finishing top scorer in the CL six times is considered "scraping minimum expectations" then, yeah, I don't know what to say to that except that is one of the dumbest things I've read recently.

Shocking and tragic.

Is there a higher incidence of sudden death among soccer players than the general population?  I wonder if the years of strenuous training, and possible undetected PED use, put too much strain on the heart for people with underlying congenital weakness.

It's horrible to hear about Tiote. :( 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Shocking and tragic.

Is there a higher incidence of sudden death among soccer players than the general population?  I wonder if the years of strenuous training, and possible undetected PED use, put too much strain on the heart for people with underlying congenital weakness.

Without having any kind of data to back up this claim, I don't think that's the case. It's more likely that we'd hear about Tiote having a fatal heart attack than about some guy working at some factory.

As for the PED abuse, that could bring up an interesting discussion - what are people's takes on PED testing in football? I, for one, think it's laughable. For all the years of watching football, off the top of my head I can remember Maradona and Mutu getting busted for cocaine (with a decade and a half between their cases) and Rio Ferdinand being suspended for 8-9 months for not showing up for testing. There probably are some other cases, but I can't think of any at the moment. Are football players really such an ethical bunch that no one is using anything they shouldn't be using, is testing so poor (next to) no one is ever caught or are there some cover ups like "oh, he was busted for doping so we'll say he's injured for as long as his suspension lasts" (if that's the case, Sturridge must be juicing like crazy :lol: )?

1 hour ago, baxus said:

It's horrible to hear about Tiote. :( 

Without having any kind of data to back up this claim, I don't think that's the case. It's more likely that we'd hear about Tiote having a fatal heart attack than about some guy working at some factory.

As for the PED abuse, that could bring up an interesting discussion - what are people's takes on PED testing in football? I, for one, think it's laughable. For all the years of watching football, off the top of my head I can remember Maradona and Mutu getting busted for cocaine (with a decade and a half between their cases) and Rio Ferdinand being suspended for 8-9 months for not showing up for testing. There probably are some other cases, but I can't think of any at the moment. Are football players really such an ethical bunch that no one is using anything they shouldn't be using, is testing so poor (next to) no one is ever caught or are there some cover ups like "oh, he was busted for doping so we'll say he's injured for as long as his suspension lasts" (if that's the case, Sturridge must be juicing like crazy :lol: )?

Any professional sportsperson with an undiagnosed condition is at extremely high risk. :(

Re. cocaine, the big thing a few years ago was alleged cover-ups with multiple players busted but their names being kept out of the media (and presumably being put on injured lists till bans were completed or appeals heard). I wondered at the time, and wonder now, whether the use of such a perceived white-collar drug (as opposed to, say, anabolic steroids) was - in the age of big salaries - being treated non- seriously.  It's a phenomenon noted in other areas of society, e.g. City workers.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/sports-and-the-heart/sudden-cardiac-death-in-athletes

An estimated 1 to 3/100,000 apparently healthy young athletes develop abrupt-onset ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation and die suddenly during exercise. Males are affected 10 times more often than females. Basketball and football players in the US and soccer players in Europe may be at highest risk.

Terrible news about Tiote.

Recreational drug bans being put down as injuries certainly is still happening. Berahino's ban was only revealed when someone at West Brom leaked it after he had left.

Archived