Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

9 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Also, Puel was sacked by Southampton. I wonder whom they got in line to replace him.

This was quite a surprise move. Puel did about as well as could be expected given that Southampton keep selling their best players and looking for bargain replacements which doesn't always work out. I doubt another manager is going to suddenly have them competing for European places. The only way that happens is if you have a situation like in 2015/2016 where two of the big six (Liverpool and Chelsea) had really poor league campaigns. 

Why?

With Raiola clubs know exactly who they are dealing with. He is quite happy to move his clients, but it's still down to the player whether they stay or move. And he is quite good at getting the max payments for his clients out of the market.

With regards to Donnarumma what I can tell, this is more a United-Real Madrid issue.

Madrid's interest in de Gea has reportedly cooled off, and they are now favoring Donnarumma as their new #1 goalkeeper, either 2017/18 for a fee, or 18/19 on a free. While United apparently would like to see off de Gea to Madrid for a fee to put an end to that transfer saga and sign Donnarumma as a replacement. So just lean back, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

No need for Real to come in for DDG now where they will have to pay a massive fee and considering the apparent difficulties between the two clubs on agreeing a fee for Morata, I'm sure United will play hardball should Real come in for DDG. They just need to wait until Donnarumma enters the last 6 months of his contract (January 2018 I assume) and do a deal directly with him then and there would be nothing AC Milan can do about it. In the meantime, Navas has been doing a decent enough job between the sticks for Real so their GK situation is far from desperate. 

Disappointing to see Donnarumma leaving. Great as he is for an 18 year old, there are a few technical flaws in his game that would be better ironed out in Milan. Beyond the dispiriting sight of a player leaving the club he supports for money at such a young age, he'd probably be better off where he is to maximise his potential.

The Football League managed to screw up the League Cup first round draw. Charlton given two fixtures and two non-seeds playing each other. Karma for hosting it in Bangkok for sponsorship reasons.

I doubt Conte will be going anywhere but you never know with Abramovich as the manager position has been a revolving door. Ronaldo is most definitely not leaving Real. He must be angling for more money again. Probably going to need that extra dough to pay back all the taxes he owes. Ever since the story broke, I've been having a good laugh at all the deluded United fans who think he will ever play for us again.

Looks like Aubameyang is still on the market. Reports indicate that PSG has decided that they prefer a more traditional striker.

Which in turn has rumoredly resulted in United becoming more interested in him, since the Morata talks with Real are not really going that well.

On 16. 6. 2017 at 4:36 PM, Consigliere said:

I doubt Conte will be going anywhere but you never know with Abramovich as the manager position has been a revolving door.

Similar thing happen to him at Juventus.

23 hours ago, Notone said:

Looks like Aubameyang is still on the market. Reports indicate that PSG has decided that they prefer a more traditional striker.

Which in turn has rumoredly resulted in United becoming more interested in him, since the Morata talks with Real are not really going that well.

Aubameyang would have been such a good fit for Arsenal, not sure for Klopp.

It seems Salah to pool is done. Sucks, but even though he is probably better than all of them Lamela, Pjanic and Benatia (in that order) all felt worse. I hope we at least keep the defensive core intact. Oh wait, Sczezny won't stay...

Cameroon v. Chile has been mostly one way traffic so far. Amazing that the score is still 0-0. Chile should be a few goals up already as they have been battering Cameroon.

ETA. Chile with a goal ruled out in first half stoppage time. Pretty shocking decision from the video ref imo. Vargas looked to be level in the replays.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. Chile with a goal ruled out in first half stoppage time. Pretty shocking decision from the video ref imo. Vargas looked to be level in the replays.

Looked, but he wasn't. When they set the offside line on the screen, it showed both his shoulder and knee were passed it. Chile's 2nd goal was more controversial in that regard, imo, but in the end the VAR did not screw over the more deserving team.

Congratulations to the world of football for finally deciding to evolve. When Portugal's first goal was cancelled thanks to the VAR, I actually applauded. There are still kinks to work out, especially regarding the time it takes to review stuff - you have a team going thru the full motions of celebration, only to have it turned back, but other than that, I like it.

The conversation between the ref and the VAR team needs to be broadcast on tv and to the crowd. Worked pretty well, but for too long it was uncertain what was being checked and those at the game are probably still wondering.

Archived