Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

16 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Just watched Mexico draw with Portugal in stoppage time. Does anyone care about Confederations Cup?

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I care about neither Confederations Cup nor U23 Euros that are going on at the moment.

Honestly, I can't wait for Premier League to start.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I care about neither Confederations Cup nor U23 Euros that are going on at the moment.

Honestly, I can't wait for Premier League to start.

Sad but true. International footballl used to be my absolute favourite thing. Now its an afterthought, an unpleasant one. Apparently the England U21s were playing somewhere? Right after the U20's won a tournament.. and some of the same players are involved. 

Somebody has to realise by this point that there is simply too much football for any of it to have even the slightest bit of importance.

Reminds me of that Mitchell and Webb skit about sky sports :

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Someone please explain the talk of de Gea and 100 million plus for a 32 year old? 

Lots of ridiculous rubbish being speculated regarding Ronaldo and United. One story says 180 odd million plus DDG for Ronaldo and Morata and another saying Real have slapped a 350 million price tag on Ronaldo. It's all garbage. In all likelihood, Ronaldo will see out his career at Real since he still has 4 years remaining on his contract. After that perhaps one last big payday in China or the US.

On 17.6.2017 at 7:04 PM, Lord Friendzone said:

Similar thing happen to him at Juventus.

Aubameyang would have been such a good fit for Arsenal, not sure for Klopp.

No idea. I am not even sure how serious United's attempts to sign him actually are, and what kinda money they would need to throw at him (and Dortmund). Bear in mind, Aubameyang had been quoted as recently as last season that he doesn't buy into the whole EPL hype, and that his dream would be playing in Spain - and I assume he wants to win some more trophies. Paris was touted as potential destination because they a.) have the resources (so do United and Liverpool) and b.) Aubameyang knows the league as he had played in France before. And c.) they are in a very good shape to provide him with some more silverware. And d.) Barca and Real are atm set with regards to their attackers.

26 minutes ago, Notone said:

No idea. I am not even sure how serious United's attempts to sign him actually are, and what kinda money they would need to throw at him (and Dortmund). Bear in mind, Aubameyang had been quoted as recently as last season that he doesn't buy into the whole EPL hype, and that his dream would be playing in Spain - and I assume he wants to win some more trophies. Paris was touted as potential destination because they a.) have the resources (so do United and Liverpool) and b.) Aubameyang knows the league as he had played in France before. And c.) they are in a very good shape to provide him with some more silverware. And d.) Barca and Real are atm set with regards to their attackers.

Players can say something but money and trophies is what will dictate. Real and Barcelona are set and Mbappe is more likely to end up at Real than Aubameyang. He might end up in EPL because PSG seems to turn their attentions elsewhere.

Yes, that's why I said, no idea how much money they would need to throw at him. While talking about EPL locations for Aubameyang, I would think that Chelsea might be the most likely, they are trying to offload Diego Costa after his China shenanigans last season. Let's just wait and see if an EPL club makes a serious bid.

As for Arsenal, if I was in charge of adding a Bundesliga player to Arsenal, I would try to get Bayern's Renato Sanches. He got almost no playing time last season, so Bayern might be open to at least send him away on a loan. He would add some physicality to Arsenal's midfield, something they lacked last season imho.

In other news, it looks like Bayern still have no idea what they actually want to do with Gnabry. Their wingers are Robben and Ribery (age is catching up with the latter though) and Coman wants more playing time than last season. So Hoffenheim still hopes they get Gnabry for next season on loan.

4 hours ago, Notone said:

In other news, it looks like Bayern still have no idea what they actually want to do with Gnabry. Their wingers are Robben and Ribery (age is catching up with the latter though) and Coman wants more playing time than last season. So Hoffenheim still hopes they get Gnabry for next season on loan.

With Costa going, they will only have as many wingers as last year if Gnabry doesn't get loaned out. Even if Robben and Ribery are fit, the two should be in the first team more regularly next year - though I doubt Ancelotti will willingly give them the chance.

4 hours ago, Notone said:

As for Arsenal, if I was in charge of adding a Bundesliga player to Arsenal, I would try to get Bayern's Renato Sanches. He got almost no playing time last season, so Bayern might be open to at least send him away on a loan. He would add some physicality to Arsenal's midfield, something they lacked last season imho.

Unlike Coman and Kimmich who deserved more of a shot, Sanches was just bad when he played. Unless he improves a lot, I doubt he will be adding much to Arsenal's midfield. Maybe Goretzka would be a good idea. Schalke can cash in on an asset instead of losing another player on a free and Arsenal get a quality and flexible midfielder. He'd make a good buy for Liverpool too, as a more realistic target than Naby Keita. 

18 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Unlike Coman and Kimmich who deserved more of a shot, Sanches was just bad when he played. Unless he improves a lot, I doubt he will be adding much to Arsenal's midfield. Maybe Goretzka would be a good idea. Schalke can cash in on an asset instead of losing another player on a free and Arsenal get a quality and flexible midfielder. He'd make a good buy for Liverpool too, as a more realistic target than Naby Keita. 

Well, with regard to Sanches I think there are some facotrs coming together. a.) It was his first year in a different country, with a different language in an overall stronger league (no offense towards the portugese league) b.) I think he is one of those players who need to play more regularly to get into a playing rhythm and c.) it's sorta of question whether you believe there's still a quality player hidden somewhere. Juventus seems to believe that, and they are rumoredly willing to get him for a two year loan with signing clause attached.

Having that said, I don't think he will get the amount of regular games he would need, at least not as long as Vidal is playing for Bayern.

Regarding Goretzka. Yes, I think he would be a good player for Liverpool, but not so much for Arsenal. I think he is a bit too similar to Xhaka as a player (who I think will enjoy a much better second season at Arsenal). Yet, there are two questions with regards to Goretzka, first whether he is ready for the next step. Personally I think he might benefit for 1-2 more seasons at Schalke (see his performance against Chile). The second question for him is, whether he wants to move now. As of now, he is in a pretty decent position to grab position on Germany's World Cup roster. Making it to the team and actually playing are still two different things with the amount of competition. 

And yes, Liverpool signing Naby Keita is a bit of a pipedream. I am more interested how that Forsberg drama there will play out. His agent (no, it's not Raiola) and Mintzlaff have thus far been up for good entertainment.

I'm really annoyed after reading Arena's roster choices for the Gold Cup.  I was glad to see that he left off Bradley, Howard, and Dempsey; they need to be phased out anyway.  However, I don't understand why he didn't pick Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Bobby Wood, or Johannsson.  That's the future of the team.  Arena's obviously not taking the tournament seriously.

It's my understanding that Yedlin and Pulisic weren't going to be named for call-up. They are on rest then return to their clubs for training.

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usa-will-likely-be-without-pulisic-and-many-other-key-players-for-the-gold-cup/

Glad to see Bill Hamid made the cut. 

21 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I'm really annoyed after reading Arena's roster choices for the Gold Cup.  I was glad to see that he left off Bradley, Howard, and Dempsey; they need to be phased out anyway.  However, I don't understand why he didn't pick Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Bobby Wood, or Johannsson.  That's the future of the team.  Arena's obviously not taking the tournament seriously.

Welcome to Salah.   With him and Mane in the team now, it made me try to think of which other African players Liverpool have had.  I can think of Bruce Grobbelaar, Djimi Traore, El Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao, Momo Sissoko, Sean Dundee and Titi Camara off the top of my head.  I would guess there's another fringe player or two from the Houllier era.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I seriously do not understand why we sold Schneiderlin only to apparently buy Matic for 40mil six months later. It's not that I think Matic is a bad player but how is that a step up?

Is that Matic stuff serious? The transfer stuff is all a bit crazy at the moment. Can you pls sell Martial to us in the meantime?

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Is that Matic stuff serious? The transfer stuff is all a bit crazy at the moment. Can you pls sell Martial to us in the meantime?

It seems to be.

Honestly, looking at it from here the summer looks to have been another complete Woodward clownshow. Once the Griezmann transfer fell through, he had no idea what to do regarding getting another forward in, and our search for another DM has been a similarly undignified scooch round every vaguely available player. Was hoping for better once we signed Lindeloff so quickly but no.

If Chelsea pull off Alex Sandro, Van Dijk, Lukaku and other targets. They want apparently CM, 2 strikers, CB and RWB on top of Bakayoko and Alex Sandro who are close. Seems like a pretty good team.

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It seems to be.

Honestly, looking at it from here the summer looks to have been another complete Woodward clownshow. Once the Griezmann transfer fell through, he had no idea what to do regarding getting another forward in, and our search for another DM has been a similarly undignified scooch round every vaguely available player. Was hoping for better once we signed Lindeloff so quickly but no.

Matic is a good option, yours third according to Telegraph and his combination with Pogba and Herrera is what you need. He'll give them room to run around while he's sweaping. But 40m is a lot for a guy who's about to be 30 and left with two years on his deal, who a bit regressed when you can have Radja or other players for around similar sum.

Archived