Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

Matic is better than what you have. When it comes to other options Bakayoko has rejected you, Radja don't know but AS Roma might not want to sell him after selling Manolas and the other guy to Zenit.

EDIT:I meant Matic is better than Carrick and Fellaini.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Matic is better than what you have. When it comes to other options Bakayoko has rejected you, Radja don't know but AS Roma might not want to sell him after selling Manolas and the other guy to Zenit.

EDIT:I meant Matic is better than Carrick and Fellaini.

Yeah, but he's not better than Schneiderlin. No idea why we sold him if we were going to make this move. Utter stupidity by Jose imo.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but he's not better than Schneiderlin. No idea why we sold him if we were going to make this move. Utter stupidity by Jose imo.

Height or perhaps Jose trusts Matic more? Matic to me seems also someone who is a bit more creative than Schneiderlin, but then with Pogba and Herrera around no need for him to be creative. Just to make sure that he protects back four and speeds up attack. Fluidity of tempo.

I said it at the time and my opinion hasn't changed. Selling Schneiderlin was a big mistake and letting him go without even affording him a decent run in the team was just stupid. For some reason Mourinho likes or perhaps trusted Fellaini more even though Schneiderlin is the all round better player. While Fellaini can be useful, he is no more than a squad player.

I can see why Mourinho wants Matic. A dedicated DM to do the dirty work would theoretically free up our creative players. While Herrera did a great job in the DM role, it came at the expense of his creative ability and he is more of a box-to-box player anyway. £40m is an awful lot for Matic though. As for Bakayoko, I'm glad that transfer isn't going to happen. Fabinho would be a much better fit for us. I only hope it isn't going to be one of those transfer windows for us. Our transfer business has largely been a shitshow since Woodward came in.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I might be a bit biased, but given that Matic was a rather important player in the team that won two titles in the last three years while Schneiderlin wasn't anywhere near that level of success, I'd say that Matic actually is better than Schneiderlin.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

I might be a bit biased, but given that Matic was a rather important player in the team that won two titles in the last three years while Schneiderlin wasn't anywhere near that level of success, I'd say that Matic actually is better than Schneiderlin.

For sure.. Could see Matic being great at United.

Looks like Liverpools interest in Oxlaide Chamberlain is real. Think it would be a cool depth signing. Not sure why he'd want to move to Liverpools bench though.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

For sure.. Could see Matic being great at United.

Looks like Liverpools interest in Oxlaide Chamberlain is real. Think it would be a cool depth signing. Not sure why he'd want to move to Liverpools bench though.

Me either. I hope Arsenal sells one of Ox or Walcott though.

I am not sure, but is there are market for Walcott?

Anyway, the U21-Euro's semi-final Germany - England is quite entertaining (and at quite a decent quality, too), as extra time is about to start.

Though, I think that whoever wins the other semi-final (Spain - Italy) is way more likely to win this tournament.

22 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I agree with this.  Matic improves upon what they have right now, but was it the best use of $40m and the available DM spot to upgrade him over Schneiderlin?  The best I could offer is that he has experience of winning a title and knows the Mourinho tactics already.  Matic was a great DM in 2014/15, regressed badly as DM in 2015/16 and then improved dramatically (or regained prior form) as CM in 2016/7 with Kante alongside him giving him license to get forward more.  Does that mean Matic will be great as the DM anchor with Pogba and Herrara roaming?  There's a big risk that without Kante you'll get the 2015/6 version of Matic.  Plus he's 29 at the start of next season, so he's approaching the peak of his game management but waning pace. 

Similar to Zlatan last year, it feels like a win-now purchase while the team is still in a transitional phase.  There may be better signings to come that will make it all coherent but so far Bailly remains the only real improvement signing by Mourinho (jury out on Lindelof).  The fact that Chelsea are willing to sell him at this point says a lot too: I bet they feel they've already got the best out of him and could find an upgrade -- a mix of Matic and Fabregas -- to play alongside Kante.

It looks like Mourinho will continue to build a solid, physical team that defends a lot, is safe with possession and relies on counter-attacks for goals.  It is his football style and it was always a vain wish from the Utd fans that he would play an expansive attacking style now that he's at Utd.

It has gone largely unreported but their is a soft wage cap coming into effect in the PL this season under the FFP rules.  I won't explain all the details -- feel free to Google -- but clubs with large wage bills have limits on how much those can increase next season unless the increase is covered by an increase in revenue.

Liverpool qualifying for the CL helps them because they will have new revenue that allows the wage bill to increase.  Utd don't have CL revenue but dropping Zlatan's huge wages means they can add new wages without it being an aggregate increase (a possible additional reason for signing Zlatan last year; last year was not the year to reduce the wage bill ahead of this new constraint on increasing it again).  Arsenal without CL this year, will struggle to offer big increases to Ozil and Sanchez and possibly others, unless they shed some wages.  City may have loaded up on new players last season, including the January window, so that this summer won't be such large increase.  Overall, Arsenal look to be the most constrained by this.

Too conservative from England U21s at 2-2. Germany's midfield was unbalanced, but they were allowed to dominate the play, which was their strength, and not tested defensively. England really rattled them for the first fifteen minutes by taking control of possession and running at the rather makeshift backline. Not sure why they did not persist with that tactic, or at least return to it if Boothroyd thought it was unsustainable for 90 mins towards the end. Admittedly it was a good backs to the wall performance but everyone knew how the penalties were going to go. Would have been fitting for Southgate to still be in charge for Kuntz to beat him again in the same manner.

18 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It has gone largely unreported but their is a soft wage cap coming into effect in the PL this season under the FFP rules.  I won't explain all the details -- feel free to Google -- but clubs with large wage bills have limits on how much those can increase next season unless the increase is covered by an increase in revenue.

I googled it, and only found that something like this has been going on for at least three seasons now.

But I hadn't heard about it and it does seem like one of those rules that pretends to be evening the playing field but will only actually benefit... well, us.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool qualifying for the CL helps them because they will have new revenue that allows the wage bill to increase.  Utd don't have CL revenue but dropping Zlatan's huge wages means they can add new wages without it being an aggregate increase (a possible additional reason for signing Zlatan last year; last year was not the year to reduce the wage bill ahead of this new constraint on increasing it again).

Err...we do have CL revenue guaranteed while Liverpool still need to get through a qualifier (they probably will but with Liverpool you never know).

57 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Err...we do have CL revenue guaranteed while Liverpool still need to get through a qualifier (they probably will but with Liverpool you never know).

I completely forgot about Utd sneaking in to the CL.  Point-taken that Liverpool's CL revenue is not yet guaranteed, although my superficial reading of the FFP rule suggests it's sufficient for Liverpool to expect that revenue when they are negotiating contracts this summer.

Archived