Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Wonder why no one seems to be in for Aubemayang 

I wondered that too.  It was reported that he was off to China for really silly money, but I thought the new tax keeping Costa out of China would apply to Aubemayang too.  

Lukaku would be good for Utd with Mourinho playing a defensive counter-attacking style.  Mikhitaryan and Mata would feed his runs well.  But what happens when opponents sit deep at OT?

Lacazette looks even more of a bargain. 

Definitely did not see that one happening and was surprised that Lukaku would choose reuniting with Mourinho over rejoining Chelsea. I suppose things will be different now that Lukaku is an established player. Mou doesn't seem to have the patience to nurture young and upcoming talent.

Lukaku and Mourinho's split was never acrimonious (unlike Mata and they managed to make it work the second time), he has a record of bringing back players he's worked with before, and apparently he's best mates with Pogba. So it's not that big of a shock.

Although I'm half-convinced that the only reason we did get him in the end is that he's already on holiday in LA (with Pogba) so there's no problem him linking up with the squad there on Monday for the pre-season tour.

There's also the fact that Rooney comes without a fee, but is valued at £10m, so that Lukaku plus add-ons plus Rooney equals £100m...

Think that when this goes through, we're making a profit on transfers again. Hope it will be put to good use.

I think Everton should pass on Rooney.  It's not that he's useless as a player or perhaps even a mentor but that's a lot of wages, ego, ball-hogging and blocking opportunities of younger players.  I was impressed by Everton's decisiveness this summer but now it feels more like they are consolidating seventh place and can move higher only if another team collapses.   Although it's not as if they're finished yet.  Rebuilding takes time. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not quite sure about that. It sounds like a very nominal valuation to me. Was anyone actually going to pay cash money for Rooney's services?

Think it's mostly an exercise in PR, tbh. Rooney had a year left on his contract, so United could in theory claim a fee. Can't say I think they would have, though. Ando Rooney had tried to paint himself into a corner with his claims about us being the only other PL club he would play for. Still, we have seen how much stock Rooney puts in such statements..

39 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think Everton should pass on Rooney.  It's not that he's useless as a player or perhaps even a mentor but that's a lot of wages, ego, ball-hogging and blocking opportunities of younger players.  I was impressed by Everton's decisiveness this summer but now it feels more like they are consolidating seventh place and can move higher only if another team collapses.   Although it's not as if they're finished yet.  Rebuilding takes time. 

Would prefer if we had passed on him, but it seems the publicity of the lost son coming home is too much to pass. Hope he can accept being a bit part player if he can't raise his level. Otherwise, he will be a major waste of space.

I think the Rooney situation was very much like the Schweinsteiger one with United willing to waive a transfer fee (unless a Chinese club came in for him and he agreed to move to China) in order to get the huge wages off the books. Plus, apparently, Rooney's contract included a clause for an extension for a further year which could have been triggered by him. If true that could have cost United at least £26m in wages for a bench-warmer. Had it not been for the World Cup next year, I think Rooney would stayed.

On 7/6/2017 at 10:56 AM, Consigliere said:

These fees for strikers makes Arsenal's signing of Lacazette look better and better. Getting him in for that price was an excellent piece of business.

Yea, I'm pretty happy with it. Outside of the Sanchez shit and the need for a new CM, I'm pretty happy with Arsenal's business so far, both on the field and off.

13 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yea, I'm pretty happy with it. Outside of the Sanchez shit and the need for a new CM, I'm pretty happy with Arsenal's business so far, both on the field and off.

If we hold onto Sanchez and sign another midfielder (Lemar or Mahrez) then it'll be the best transfer window Arsenal have had in years.

Previously we've managed the one big signing (Ozil, Sanchez) but there hasn't been enough attention to all areas of the squad, which this window looks like it could be. I expect we'll see some more departures too.

9 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Chelsea signing of Rudiger is kinda weird. Guess Zouma has no future at the club and is Rudiger much better than Christensen? Theyre pretty loaded at CB now.

Check my rambling four pages ago.

Yes, it's weird. No, I don't think Rüdiger is any better than Christensen. I would rather make the case for Christensen being the better centre back. It's just one those situations when a manager simply loves a player, that's about the logic of this transfer. Well, at least Rüdiger can also cover as RB if Conte decides to switch back to a back four.

Rüdiger is not a bad defender or anything, especially his athleticism is a great feat, but he is a bit too error prone for my liking. Well, whoever lands Christensen will get a very decent young centreback.

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

That doesnt seem hyperbolic at all :D

Call that hyperbolic if you want but it happens that all the words I used to describe Rooney are accurate. He was Manchester United's captain, he was a hero because of all he gives to the team on the pitch, he is obviously a legend as the all-time MU top scorer, and yeah, the day you'll meet his equal as a player, please tell me.

22 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

his equal as a player, please tell me.

Not his equal but better - Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez.

Rooney will certainly be considered a United legend but lets not kid ourselves here. There are many players of his generation who surpassed him.

Archived