Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

What about Lukaku? Is he going or you'd keep him with 2 years on his deal. I've seen 100m figure being quoted but nobody gonna pay that or anywhere close to it, then you're risking losing him for half of that or free.

From what I've read, he seems determined to leave, and we haven't made any noises about keeping him. Think it's a question of when, not if, he leaves, and who he leaves for. Think the fee may be not too far off £ 100m, mostly owing to a crazy market and the need for statement signings. He is, after all, a proven PL striker, who has been banging in goals for two different clubs outside the top four.

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

From what I've read, he seems determined to leave, and we haven't made any noises about keeping him. Think it's a question of when, not if, he leaves, and who he leaves for. Think the fee may be not too far off £ 100m, mostly owing to a crazy market and the need for statement signings. He is, after all, a proven PL striker, who has been banging in goals for two different clubs outside the top four.

I can't see Chelsea spending it and Man Utd seems to be heading towards Morata. Other that there is not much of interest and then he would have to remain with Everton. Unhappy player is not always a good thing and his value will not be higher than this transfer window.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I don't see us agreeing to pay Real money plus DDG for Morata, no matter how desperate we are for a CF. That would be a terrible deal for us. In that case we might as well just pay Bellotti's release clause or 100mil for Lukaku because DDG is worth at least 80mil in this market. You might be right concerning Zidane and Navas though. Thus far I haven't seen anything to suggest that Real intend to make a bid or ask that DDG be included in a deal for Morata.

Re: Lukaku. Everton are not going to get 100mil so I don't see it as them 'losing 50mil'. If Lukaku does leave then I expect the fee to be quite a bit less than what is being rumored.

I think Zidane ha a big say and might just have Navas and do just Morata transfer. This is as the most likely scenario and Morata would cost around 70m or what they want. DDG is along with Neuer the best goalkeeper in the world, so their prices should be the highest among goalkeepers which would be 60m to 70m or even more if some team really wants him.

If Lukaku will be with Everton beyond this transfr window, not signing a new deal because that would mean Everton will be in complete control over his future. Then his value even with a good season would be lesser around 50m or 60m at best. Sanchez price is rumoured to be around that with one year left on his deal, so Lukaku might be leaving for that amount.

26 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I can't see Chelsea spending it and Man Utd seems to be heading towards Morata. Other that there is not much of interest and then he would have to remain with Everton. Unhappy player is not always a good thing and his value will not be higher than this transfer window.

That's a given, but even unhappy with the situation, I don't think Lukaku would drop his level. All I've seen of him is him getting about his job in a professional manner, even if it has always been an open secret that he wants to play for higher stakes than Everton can offer (for the time being..). So if he has to stay, I can't see the problem.

From what was rumoured ahead of this window, and judging from the fact that we've already spent around £70m (we have sold Deulofeu and Cleverly), I do not think Lukaku's sale has been a part of our budgeting thus far. He leaves, he leaves. He doesn't, we're stronger. I see no reason to worry about Lukaku.

6 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

That's a given, but even unhappy with the situation, I don't think Lukaku would drop his level. All I've seen of him is him getting about his job in a professional manner, even if it has always been an open secret that he wants to play for higher stakes than Everton can offer (for the time being..). So if he has to stay, I can't see the problem.

From what was rumoured ahead of this window, and judging from the fact that we've already spent around £70m (we have sold Deulofeu and Cleverly), I do not think Lukaku's sale has been a part of our budgeting thus far. He leaves, he leaves. He doesn't, we're stronger. I see no reason to worry about Lukaku.

Although, Lukaku never went as far as this to make it that public by saying he wants to go. He had some interviews in the past but these seems a bit more determined, Also rejecting a new deal, while previously agreed to it. I hope for the sake of Everton and his that he'll be professional and do his job.

Lukaku might be thinking about how Everton is strenghtening and how they can improve. Might be that Sanchez along with Lukaku will be with their respective clubs.

Lacazette is a great signing for Arsenal, especially if the mooted 40m is accurate -- which seems a low price for a player sought by so many teams over the past couple of years, and in a market light on top strikers.  Similarly it's shocking that Sanchez doesn't have more avid suitors but perhaps when you're targeting only the elite teams for your next destination, a lot depends on who is ready to displace an existing star forward.  I know there are rumors of him going to City but do they even need another forward?  His workrate would improve them, no doubt, but does it make sense for Pep to buy a starter to take the spot of one of the expensive stars he only just bought?  He's already struggling to find room for what he has.

I expect Zidane will triumph in the choice of GK this time.  He successfully eased out James this past season and demonstrated that it's better to win than play a galactico who doesn't fit.  I'm sure DDG could fit fine, but if Zidane prefers Navas and prioritizes a different signing then I think he'll get his way. 

11 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Although, Lukaku never went as far as this to make it that public by saying he wants to go. He had some interviews in the past but these seems a bit more determined, Also rejecting a new deal, while previously agreed to it. I hope for the sake of Everton and his that he'll be professional and do his job.

Lukaku might be thinking about how Everton is strenghtening and how they can improve. Might be that Sanchez along with Lukaku will be with their respective clubs.

Thing is, his interviews indicating his desire to move on have always been (and continue to be) in the Belgian press. All he has said to the English press is that he "knows where he will play next year" or something like that. 

The contract talk was always Raiola, and my attitude towards him and his utterances is that I never pay attention to them. They may come true, but if so they will be corroborated by someone else. If no-one backs his sayings up, they aren't to be taken at face value. 

I do know people took him seriously when he claimed a deal was 99% done, but I don't think there's much of a difference (if any difference at all) between him claiming a deal is 0,01% done and 99,99% done. 

41 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Thing is, his interviews indicating his desire to move on have always been (and continue to be) in the Belgian press. All he has said to the English press is that he "knows where he will play next year" or something like that. 

The contract talk was always Raiola, and my attitude towards him and his utterances is that I never pay attention to them. They may come true, but if so they will be corroborated by someone else. If no-one backs his sayings up, they aren't to be taken at face value. 

I do know people took him seriously when he claimed a deal was 99% done, but I don't think there's much of a difference (if any difference at all) between him claiming a deal is 0,01% done and 99,99% done. 

Raiola did wanted him to sign this deal because that means more money to him. Lukaku did u-turn and rejected it or at least that's how English media sees it. He also apparently wants him to go to Man Utd, no surprise since he got Pogba there and made a lot of money out of it.

These Belgian players always have tendencies to talks rubbish to media in Belgium because I do remember Courtois, Hazard and other doing that. Lukaku always had sneaky hints that maybe he'll go, his ambitions but this season much more concrete. I do wondr who will get if anyone.

The Rooney to Everton rumors seems to have ramped up. Everton look to mean business this season but I'm not so convinced about this signing. Rooney has been a great servant to United though so if this does happen, I hope it works out well for him and he rediscovers some form. It would be a shame if his career ended with a whimper.

Lacazette confirmed. I'm excited. Love that they got such a big signing finished before the pre-season trip. He should be ready for opening game.

I don't think Sanchez is going anywhere this season.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I don't think Sanchez is going anywhere this season.

Hmmm - I don't know man, I feel like City might take him. IF we keep Sanchez - then I'm pretty happy with the summer already (would gladly swap the ox for Mahrez) s

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Two really good signings for Arsenal so far. If they can get a quality CB as well then it would be an excellent window.

There's no way we're buying a CB with - Kos, Per, Monreal, Chambers, Holding and Gabriel in the same team.

40 minutes ago, Raja said:

Hmmm - I don't know man, I feel like City might take him. IF we keep Sanchez - then I'm pretty happy with the summer already (would gladly swap the ox for Mahrez) s

There's no way we're buying a CB with - Kos, Per, Monreal, Chambers, Holding and Gabriel in the same team.

I don't see Arsenal selling Sanchez to a direct rival. We haven't done something like that since we had to. If he goes, it'll be out of the PL and those destinations are limited.

Agreed with the latter statement.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be getting another CB, we've got plenty of bodies there even if we don't technically have the star power (Koscielny maybe). Hopefully that Bellerin to Barca story has died down too. The back line actually looks pretty bloated with bodies (LB: Kolasinac/Monreal/Gibbs, CB: Mertesacker/Koscielny/Mustafi/Gabriel/Holding/Chambers, RB: Bellerin/Jenkinson/Debuchy). Lacazette boosts the forward line, which really leaves the midfield as the last piece of the puzzle. Getting a back-to-his-best Mahrez would be a great replacement for an unreliable (health-wise) Cazorla.

All of that being said, the Arsenal squad probably needs some trimming. There's no way of getting enough playing time for all those bodies, even if we suffer the usual injury crisis. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of Gibbs/Jenkinson/Chambers go on loan again and Debuchy is sold. One or two of Giroud/Walcott/Perez will probably go since Lacazette has come in. And if we hold onto Ozil and Sanchez, I expect at least one of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere to be sold. And I didn't even realise Joel Campbell was still on the books.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Been a terrible week for Newco, hasn't it? Went out of the Europa League to the fourth-best team in Luxembourg yesterday, nailed for tax avoidance today.

The tax avoidance case won't have much impact on Rangers, I think. The talk of stripping titles likely won't go anywhere, and the club is, as noted, a new company, so no financial consequences.

As for the Europa League... look, normally I would be worried about the impact on the Scottish coefficient and so on. But the people in charge of Rangers have been behaving like a bunch of five year olds for years now so it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

i know he seems like a 25 goals a season type of player, i'm just not sure he is in any JM team.  

Agree. Jose doesn't even rate him from what I heard. Seems an odd buy to me. Lukaku is a goal machine but if you watch him hes not exactly a defensive forward, more of a big poacher.

Archived