Football: Showdown Sunday

AncalagonTheBlack

57 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Agree. Jose doesn't even rate him from what I heard. Seems an odd buy to me. Lukaku is a goal machine but if you watch him hes not exactly a defensive forward, more of a big poacher.

I don't know, a big lone poacher sort of fits the Drogba mould. Mourinho might yet find a use for him.

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I don't know, a big lone poacher sort of fits the Drogba mould. Mourinho might yet find a use for him.

I think Drogba did a lot more than just goal hang and bang them in though, he had a lot to his game. Lukaku I don't think is that sort of player. Every time I see him he's just lazily wandering around waiting for an opportunity for the ball to come to him.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think Drogba did a lot more than just goal hang and bang them in though, he had a lot to his game. Lukaku I don't think is that sort of player. Every time I see him he's just lazily wandering around waiting for an opportunity for the ball to come to him.

True enough. Still, with people like Drogba and Zlatan being successful in Mourinho systems, you think he'd find a way to make Lukaku work. Especially if they're paying that much for him.

4 minutes ago, Jeor said:

True enough. Still, with people like Drogba and Zlatan being successful in Mourinho systems, you think he'd find a way to make Lukaku work. Especially if they're paying that much for him.

Yeah I was thinking about Zlatan actually because hes quite similar in that hes quite lazy but can just turn it on when needed.  However last season Utd relied on him massively to get the goals, too much. There needs to be more goals throughout the team. Zlatan is also a much better player than Lukaku.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Agree. Jose doesn't even rate him from what I heard. Seems an odd buy to me. Lukaku is a goal machine but if you watch him hes not exactly a defensive forward, more of a big poacher.

Lukaku a poacher? Lol - anything but.

It's best to just wait until there is official confirmation from the clubs. These so called 'journalists' just like to throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks. That's why there are conflicting reports.

If this Lukaku deal does happen though then I'd be quite happy. Certainly didn't see this one coming. 75 mil might seem alot but in this market it looks to be a decent buy. We certainly were not going to get Morata or Belotti or Aubameyang for less than that. Plus, Lukaku would pose less of a risk given his league experience and having already settled into life in England.

Conte should go all in for Belotti if Lukaku is United bound. Belotti reminds me of Suarez. Relentless player.

Liverpools transfer situation so far has been pretty damn frustrating. Happy we wrapped Salah up but the clubs of the two other players who Klopp wants (and both seem want to join Pool) are playing hardball. Keita from RB Leipzig and VVD from Southampton.

Yeah, I like Belotti too but triggering his release clause (apparently Torino won't accept anything less) is a bit risky for a player who has had only one good season. Maybe patching things up with Costa would be best for the short term as it appears that interest from China has cooled due to the 100% tax imposed by the league and Costa apparently preferring an Atletico return who currently have a transfer ban. If Belotti is able to kick on next season then paying £87m next year becomes a bit more justifiable. Plus, I think United still fancy signing Griezmann so Atleti would have the funds to pay the 50-60 odd million for Costa next year.

If you're going to pay £75m for a striker it probably makes more sense to pay it for Lukaka than Morata.

Lukaku's often compared to Drogba but I don't think that's a fair comparison to either player. I think it owes more to the fact that they're both physically big players of African descent with connections to Chelsea, than to similarities in playing style. I'll be interested to see if he and Mourinho get along...

Yes, compared to 75m pounds for Lukaku, 47m for Lacazette looks like a pretty good bit of business. I know Lukaku is two years younger than Lacazette, and obviously has the Premier League track record and experience that Lacazette lacks, but it's still a good comparison.

There are of course similarities between Drogba and Lukaku, like power, pace, inclination to drift wide and so on, but I happen to think the differences are moreally important.

In particular, Drogba was an excellent hold-up player, and shielded the ball well, whereason Lukaku is far more comfortable playing off the shoulder of the defender and chase through-balls. 

Seems also that United are trying to force the deal through by going public ahead of agreement being reached. May be a wrong interpretation, though. Think Chelsea would suit him better than that grumpy dude in Manchester.

Also not sold on the return of Rooney.

Very very happy with the Lukaku signing if that is indeed confirmed, which the bbc at least have done.

Certainly didn't see that coming. With Zlatan injured and Griezmann staying in Spain they were looking at options and I certainly much prefer Lukaku over Morata. In fact, this is as good as it gets isn't it, who else would you rather have had? Top signing. A player fo great class, good scorer, strong and entering his prime football years. 

Lacazette also a good signing for Arsenal, finally they land their striker.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

In particular, Drogba was an excellent hold-up player, and shielded the ball well, whereason Lukaku is far more comfortable playing off the shoulder of the defender and chase through-balls.

Also, for a man his size, Lukaku is shite in the air.

But yeah, generally speaking comparing him to Drogba is in the same vein of lazy as comparing Pogba to Yaya Toure. Really not that similar and never has been.

I'd be quite happy with getting him.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Also, for a man his size, Lukaku is shite in the air.

But yeah, generally speaking comparing him to Drogba is in the same vein of lazy as comparing Pogba to Yaya Toure. Really not that similar and never has been.

I'd be quite happy with getting him.

Yeah people make a lot of assumptions on Lukaku because of his build and nationality, he's not a Drogba at all. 

Chelsea's hunt for a striker is getting nauseating. Agree with the other posters that Arsenal is the true winner here with signing Lacazette. Makes me wonder why we weren't looking at him the whole time. I think Chelsea buy stuff the way someone who just got paid their annual bonus buy stuff. They pay for the flashy toy when a slightly less flashy one would do the trick at a far lower price. 

Archived