Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don;t think Memory of Light was really Sanderson's fault, at least not completely. I honestly blame Harriet for a lot of the bullshit surrounding the last three. (And I still think Gathering Storm was one of the best Wot books since oh book 5).

I did enjoy The Gathering Storm had the story ended their I would have been delighted... it didn't.  And as I understand it Jordan wrote most of that book.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Done, but shitty, is a not a good substitute.  A Memory of Light was finished but sucked.

We have a saying in Serbian that would translate to "You can't make a pie out of shit".

If you ask me, The Wheel of Time as a whole sucked. I stopped reading after Dragon Reborn because I found it unbearable. I can't say about Jordan's books that followed but if they were anything like first three books of the series, I'm pretty sure there's not a single author in the world that could turn that pile of shit into a pie.

Every single one of Sanderson's books I've read has been so much better (which basically comes down to being more fun to read, as far as I'm concerned) than any of Jordan's books I've read that even comparing them is borderline insulting to Sanderson.

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I did enjoy The Gathering Storm had the story ended their I would have been delighted... it didn't.  And as I understand it Jordan wrote most of that book.

Weird, as I understand it I though Jordon wrote most of Towers of Midnight out of all of them. But I'm super derailing.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Myrddin,

Okay, suppose Rothfuss published a short story called "Day three" that briefly tells of Kvothe saying that he's done telling his story that he killed a king, faked his death, and then bought the Waystone and you see him as he is now and that is the end of the story.  Are you satisfied?  It ends the story and is far from perfect.  

I want the end of Rothfuss' story.  I would like the third novel.  Having Brandon Sanderson write subpar fan fiction based upon Rothfuss' notes would not complete the story in any way that is satisfactory in my opinion.  Perfect is the enemy of the good but replacing "perfect" with something that sucks is no real replacement. 

A Day Three short story is neither good nor perfect or even in anyway desirable. It's a wikipedia entry.

Rothfuss (I assume) is consumed with finishing out his trilogy perfectly. That is a barrier he needs to overcome. It's never going to be perfect. Books 1 and 2 weren't (and I still enjoyed them). Good as book 1 is good enough for me. Doesn't need to be perfect.

As far as fan fiction (sanderson/HBO) finishing out the story, that was the fault of both Jordan and Martin. I hope Rothfuss doesn't allow his quest for perfection result in the same.

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yeah, okay. I kind of see what you're saying. It's like when the restaurant is out of coke, so instead you ask them to bring you a glass of dirty mop water.

(Assuming your comment was aimed at me)

No, it's like ordering a Coke and getting a Pepsi. It may be too sweet and not to your taste, but it's still a cola.

Not Jordan's fault that he died obviously, but he let the story expand too far. He thought he could still finish in one more book. Granted it probably took Sanderson three just because he had to wrap his head around someone else's vision, it would've still taken Jordan more than one. In the end, he ran out of time. Sadly.  

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, like I have stated before I blame a lot of the fuck ups regarding the last three books on Harriet over Sanderson but thats a different discussion.

I honestly have no problem with Rothfuss taking as long as he wants, its just that he's a dick about it online and he treats his fans like shit.

I agree he treats his fans like shit and that his attitude about the whole thing has been pretty poor particularly considering his braggadocio about his ability to churn out a book a year early on.  But, that said, I think he is the only one who can properly complete this series.  I recognize "perfect is the enemy of the good" but I still want it to be "good".

Sanderson also cares a lot less about quality.  A lot of the scenes in Words of Radiance and Oathbringer have been badly written with a certain two dimensionality to the characters.  Sanderson at his best can address and overcome his flaw, but I suspect his first drafts are being less and less reworked now that he has achieved such great success.  

That said, I think what Rothfuss needs is for an associate with a passion for anonymity to produce a first draft of a chapter, based on notes from him. He can then rework it to his heart's content.  Sometimes you need to make writing a cooperative exercise, to move things along.

There is a mildly interesting discussion going on in one of the Rothfuss Facebook subgroups about what D&D alignment people would slap on Kvothe.  My inital view was "Chaotic Neutral".  Kvothe is fairly unconstrained about law and rules.  He morally willing to steal from people he dislikes or who he thinks have wronged him but does seem fairly empathetic and willing to help others.  

I could be talked into True Neutral or perhaps a hybrid calling him Chaotic/Neutral-good.  What do y'all think?

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, i thought Sanderson was a good fit for WoT(ducks rocks) but i certainly wouldn't pick him for this.

Absolutely agreed. (To be overly clear, I wasn't really advocating someone come write DoS.)

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is a mildly interesting discussion going on in one of the Rothfuss Facebook subgroups about what D&D alignment people would slap on Kvothe.  My inital view was "Chaotic Neutral".  Kvothe is fairly unconstrained about law and rules.  He morally willing to steal from people he dislikes or who he thinks have wronged him but does seem fairly empathetic and willing to help others.  

I could be talked into True Neutral or perhaps a hybrid calling him Chaotic/Neutral-good.  What do y'all think?

Without being completely fresh on the source material, I'd side with Chaotic Neutral too. He acts outside (and he sees himself above) normal rules and laws.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Some of the actions he takes in the novel push me towards thinking he's more chaotic evil.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But he's not delighting in doing bad things.  He's doing bad things with good intentions.  That's why I'm on the "Chaotic Neutral" bandwagon.

I am not believing Kvothe's "spin" on those actions until we get a resolution to the story. Kote may regret his past actions, but Kvothe may actually have been a rather terrible person.

8 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yeah, I always think back to that bowl of rings he left in the brothel. Recall how much emphasis was put earlier in the book on the petty viciousness and brutality of the noble class, as well as just how big a deal those rings are. I imagine some of those women are probably going to be killed over Kvothe's "prank."

Ditto the book-seller that Kvothe gives Fifty Shades of Medieval to.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it in that context.  

Archived