Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

You know the funny thing about this thread? You can spend like 45 seconds reading it from any given page, and more or less be caught up on the conversation.

Anyway, yeah Spiderman 3 flopping wasn't really Raimi's fault. Nor was it the fault of there being too many villains. The Dark Knight came out a year later, had just as many (if not more) villains, and is widely considered to be the best comic book movie ever made. The issue, as others have pointed out, was that the studio bullied him into a direction he didn't want. Plus Toby M. had more or less checked out by that point.

Joker is the focus of “the Dark Knight”.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

? Eh, I don't think that's how movies work.

Eh, the back and forth between producers who want X product and the directors who want to do it their way is as old as time and not always something on the artist's side.

Famously, Spiderman the Musical was an enormous cluster**** because the directors wanted....a musical about Spiderman and they wanted to do an artistic story about the medium of storytelling where Spiderman meditates on being a fictional character.

On 31/01/2018 at 6:05 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

The movie just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/29/sam-raimi-to-direct-kingkiller-chronicles

My first thought was to connect the Cthaeh and a certain tree scene from the Evil Dead.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

You know, last night I was thinking. What if this came out feeling more like a classic Sam Raimi movie than the straight adaptation that most are expecting. Deliberately cheesy and self-referential story about a washed up bartender who spends his nights regaling customers with stories about how much of a heroic, lady-killing badass he used to be. I'm not saying Elodin should be played by Bruce Campbell . . . but he should be and that's also how they should do the movie.

OMG.  Dying.  I just died.  Who is Lucy Lawless going to play?

• 4 weeks later...

That is a bummer to hear. I had not heard of Cyclothemia, but the internet tells me it's like bipolar, but perhaps somewhat less severe.

Link below provides some notes from a recent Rothfuss appearance at a Con:

When asked if he’s “a DM [Dungeon Master] taking us on a journey where the bard is the hero of the story?”, Rothfuss responded, “It’s way worse than that. I am an author who has tricked you into reading a trilogy that is a million-word prologue.”

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-prologue-the-doors-of-stone-book-3/

Seem like there is a legit disconnect between what Rothfuss hopes to achieve, and what he has/will achieve. That quote suggests that Rothfuss, at least in that moment, is thinking of the trilogy as already complete.

Archived