Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

A little googling found this Reddit post from five years ago.

So, he sent a completed manuscript to beta readers in 2013 (two years after the release of WMF, btw) and it's still MIA? Was it really that bad that he hasn't been able to finish a revision since then?

You can an interview with GRRM in the SSM from waaaaay back in like the 90s or something, where he says he wishes he were independently wealthy so he could take his time making sure each book he wrote was perfect.

Well guess what, GRRM is independently wealthy now and is gonna take his time, and Rothfuss is the same.

We should stop paying authors.

46 minutes ago, Ajûrbkli said:

You can an interview with GRRM in the SSM from waaaaay back in like the 90s or something, where he says he wishes he were independently wealthy so he could take his time making sure each book he wrote was perfect.

Well guess what, GRRM is independently wealthy now and is gonna take his time, and Rothfuss is the same.

We should stop paying authors.

What?  If you don't want to buy their books... don't.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, Werthead said:

* Bakker fans nod silently *

Name of the Wind was on my to read list until these last few pages, Rothfuss seems like a cross between the all the bad things about Bakker and GRRM. Definitely not touching that. 

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

"Should I play games? Circle Yes or Yes"

"Should I write instead? Circle No or No"

Yeah, that one really pissed off the fans. You have to be seriously tone-deaf to pull that kind of shit.

While I was chasing the rumor, I found his blog post where he lists the 26 changes he made in a 10 hour period to WMF. His revisions are so intense I really wonder if he edits the thing to death, then spends loads of time having to fix it, bring it back to life. I've done this with two novels of my own, and it can seriously throw your mind into a loop.

I thought WMF was 40% decent, and 60% trash, and that was after his years and years of revision. Part of the delay, I think, was the mixed reception to book 2. Easy to see a super-sensitive pretentious asshole borderline bi-polar author with several recent life traumas digging himself deeper in the hole, day by day

53 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

As a writer he has very little in common with Bakker.

Indeed. Kingkiller is the story of a preternaturally talented young man who women fall in love with at the drop of a hat and is awesome at everything he does, even if it's learning elite combat skills from some dudes he's just met or picking up sweet magic skills. You can't trust a word he says. A lot of readers despise the main character and prefer the secondary ones. The women appear to have been written by someone who's never actually met one, only heard about them from secondary sources.

Hang on.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Indeed. Kingkiller is the story of a preternaturally talented young man who women fall in love with at the drop of a hat and is awesome at everything he does, even if it's learning elite combat skills from some dudes he's just met or picking up sweet magic skills. You can't trust a word he says. A lot of readers despise the main character and prefer the secondary ones. The women appear to have been written by someone who's never actually met one, only heard about them from secondary sources.

Hang on.

Very similar, looking at it that way.

However, just for the record, the prose style and structure are completely different. Also, Bakker is very smart and he tries to display that in every paragraph; Rothfuss always (to me) feels like he's skating on thin ice whenever he gets pithy or philosophical -- woman as instruments is just one rather notorious example-- and sometimes comes off like an outright fraud coasting on the various things he learned in his 9 year college stint. The jury is still out whether he is attempting an unreliable narrator; considering how much they've hyped Kvothe as Mr. Cool in the assorted swag released over the years, I sort of doubt it, and this may be one of the underlying factors hindering book three--go for the route that Kvothe is actually a white knight goon that screws everything up due to his dishonesty and ego, or keep pandering to the wish fulfillment that propelled the first book into bestseller status.

40 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah. the question really is are the books actually filled with foreshadowing and hints at an unreliable narrator, or are fans just seeing things that arn't there.

I'd say...both?

There's definitely foreshadowing built in, but let's mine Rothfuss for easter eggs has become such a thing that people are undertaking breathtaking levels of mental gymnastics to convince themselves they discovered something.

Kingkiller brought me back to the board after several years hiatus, so I ain't gonna be mad at Rothfuss for taking his time.  I've made some wonderful friends here and some fisticuffs book debate partners.  I was NEVER mad at him for taking his time.  

19 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Kingkiller brought me back to the board after several years hiatus, so I ain't gonna be mad at Rothfuss for taking his time.  I've made some wonderful friends here and some fisticuffs book debate partners.  I was NEVER mad at him for taking his time.  

Well, there's taking your time, and there's live-streaming yourself playing video games and bragging about how you're not working on book 3.

^^^ See that's the issue I have. While Darth Richard, Lily Valley, and X-Ray are absolutely right about the issues with sexist comments and attitudes, it seems like 90% of this thread is more focused on whining about the perceived smugness with which Rothfuss goes about existing while having not yet published book 3.

EDIT: fixed typo on DR's name.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

^^^ See that's the issue I have. While Darth Dichard, Lily Valley, and X-Ray are absolutely right about the issues with sexist comments and attitudes, it seems like 90% of this thread is more focused on whining about the perceived smugness with which Rothfuss goes about existing while having not yet published book 3.

Well, he openly mocked his fans that he wasn't writing the book, I'd say that's more being an asshole then  being smug. That one particular poll he did was what broke the camels back I think. He can play games all he wants, but rubbing it fans faces is kind of not cool.

I do agree the same incident keeps getting brought up, I mean, if there's no news and no new er, fuckery, I don't see why we have to keep talking about it.

To clarify a bit, I have no problem if he wants to play games all day. What ever creative people need to do to you know, be normal creative people is fine. But the way he rubs it in fans faces is bad and I was talking to a friend today who has never read his books but knows him as "that author that mocks his fans while he plays game son twitch". That's not a good rep to have.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, he openly mocked his fans that he wasn't writing the book, I'd say that's more being an asshole then  being smug. That one particular poll he did was what broke the camels back I think. He can play games all he wants, but rubbing it fans faces is kind of not cool.

That's true, he really didn't so himself any favors with that one.

Archived