Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

426 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Seiche said:

To say nothing of the opening author's note,

I have never in my life seen someone fish for compliments harder. 

The guy must have crippling insecurity/anxiety. Goes a long way towards explaining the book three delay, IMO.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

The guy must have crippling insecurity/anxiety. Goes a long way towards explaining the book three delay, IMO.

Kind of a shitty take on both his author's note and insecurity/anxiety in general. 

But yeah Rothfuss needs to just finish this book if for no other reason than so he go on to write other, different books and actually grow as an author. Pointless to agonize over this third book so much because if he's a good enough writer, he should have conviction that he'll put out another great book one day -- even if this one (as increasingly seems to be the case) is too weighed down by having to end a trilogy written without much conception of what he was doing. 

Dude is obviously tormenting himself over this book to the point where it's suffocating his creativity, which is sad and sympathetic, but a certain point just get it over with one way or the other. 

6 minutes ago, crowganic said:

But yeah Rothfuss needs to just finish this book if for no other reason than so he go on to write other, different books and actually grow as an author. Pointless to agonize over this third book so much because if he's a good enough writer, he should have conviction that he'll put out another great book one day -- even if this one (as increasingly seems to be the case) is too weighed down by having to end a trilogy written without much conception of what he was doing. 

Dude is obviously tormenting himself over this book to the point where it's suffocating his creativity, which is sad and sympathetic, but a certain point just get it over with one way or the other. 

Kind of a shitty take on both his creativity and what he should do in general.

1 minute ago, Ninefingers said:

Kind of a shitty take on both his creativity and what he should do in general.

Diagnosing somebody with a mental illness and then implying that this mental illness leads somebody to fish for compliments is just sort of an iffy way to go about things. But I'm not all that torn up about it, by all means keep doing what you gotta do.  And sorry if my post doesn't work for you.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

What is this, 4chan?

I agree the intro to TSRoST is almost pathologically self-aggrandizing in the way that it explains to the reader why the book is supposed to be good, but are we really attacking the author now for having anxiety? Really?

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

26 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

What is this, 4chan?

I agree the intro to TSRoST is almost pathologically self-aggrandizing in the way that it explains to the reader why the book is supposed to be good, but are we really attacking the author now for having anxiety? Really?

Please point out the attack.

I like The Slow Regard of Silent Things primarily because Kvothe isn't in it. The foreword and afterword are insufferable, however.

13 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Your Majesty, there was some discussion earlier in this thread suggesting that Rothfuss had a practically completed manuscript distributed to beta readers as early as 2013. Problem was, it apparently wasn't very good. As in, bad beyond salvage and Rothfuss had no idea what to do with it. Still hasn't, by some accounts. The post two posts above what was linked suggests a manuscript that wasn't even touched between 2013 and 2016.

Even if this was 100% true, having a crappy manuscript does not equal having the book finished. Unless he doesn't mind getting the book he knows to be crappy out to his readers.

Suggestion for new thread title: A Slow Regard for Things to Come

(gonna miss fan angst live stream...)

9 hours ago, Myrddin said:

A Non-Silent Regard for Very Slow Things.

A Slow Regard of Silent Things joke thread title would be good, but can we consider something involving dragons and opioid epidemics?

12 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Don't worry, pal, I'll be livestreaming my angst like nobody's business regardless of the sweet title

I finally finished the second book.  Man did it become a slog starting with the bandit hunting section.  Feels like I read 500 pages devoted to that hand talk language.  Not sure I could make it through a third.  

I know I've been the one lecturing everybody about this turning into a Rothfuss spite thread, but I am getting a bit of a kick out of how much this tweet must have pissed him off :lmao:

1 minute ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I know I've been the one lecturing everybody about this turning into a Rothfuss spite thread, but I am getting a bit of a kick out of how much this tweet must have pissed him off :lmao:

Haha man, I needed that.

(Also he wishes Auri was even 1/10th as awesome as Luna Lovegood)

That final tweet: "Then who did?" :) 

I will give Rothfuss credit. He wrote one good book and one bad book and made enough money to never to write a third book to break the tie.

11 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Original tweet is deleted.  What did it say?