Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

124 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, baxus said:

If he "continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years" the way he's been doing in recent years, he has a better shot at becoming a pro PC/console gamer than being talked about in the same breath as Tolkien, Asimov and Martin.

To be fair, he might end up being talked about in the same breath as Martin (though I would place money on Winds coming out before Doors of Stone). 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

To be fair, he might end up being talked about in the same breath as Martin (though I would place money on Winds coming out before Doors of Stone). 

Martin has a very substantial body of work though, outside of ASOIAF. There's Dreamsongs, Haviland Tuf, Wildcards, etc. etc. And the show is already the most successful show in television today.  Rothfuss doesn't have any of that, and even with Manuel Lin Miranda attached, I don't think the Kingkiller chronicles has what it takes to be as successful in television format as GOT.  Inspired no doubt by Martin's career in television,  ASOIAF is very cinematic in terms of its writing. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

On 07/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, baxus said:

If he "continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years" the way he's been doing in recent years, he has a better shot at becoming a pro PC/console gamer than being talked about in the same breath as Tolkien, Asimov and Martin.

And that is also a goal worth working towards, but then he needs to stop this whole charade of continuing as an author.

Having seen his game streams, I can assure you that that even if he does nothing but play games for the next decade, he will probably still be closer to being a great author than a pro gamer. 

He could aspire to be a successful game streamer I guess. You don't actually have to be good at playing games to be popular while you absolutely need to if you want to be a pro gamer.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:47 PM, Proudfeet said:

Having seen his game streams, I can assure you that that even if he does nothing but play games for the next decade, he will probably still be closer to being a great author than a pro gamer. 

He could aspire to be a successful game streamer I guess. You don't actually have to be good at playing games to be popular while you absolutely need to if you want to be a pro gamer.

That says a lot about the odds I'd give Rothfuss for ending up in the same group with Tolkien and Martin. ;) 

I don't really care when or if it gets published, tbh. They were perfectly readable books on par with eating candy for dinner. I like Pat a lot, I remember when he was a semi regular poster, and there's lots of fun stuff in there. But Kvothe is a little too much for me. He's a gypsy and he's a talented fighter and he's a genius and he's the best at magic and he's a top level musician and a conman and he outfucks the fairies and he joins a vaguely Scandinavian elite ninja squad. His one major flaw? He's a ginger and not considered handsome (though somehow still manages to be up to his ears in the poon) It gets a little eyerolly in that regard. It's not as relatable that he's so unreachably good at so many things. If/when it comes out I will read it, but I'm in no rush at all.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pat used to post here?

Ja, he held a small AMA here once, IIRC.

In the olden times of EZboard he was one of us. As were many young nerds who grew to be celebrated authors in their own right. It was a magical age when this was a board full almost exclusively of people who were into fantasy novels and books in general, not HBO subscribers. There was also a time several years back (but on this iteration of the board) when R Scott Bakker defended himself in a thread about his series and feminism by pretending to be just another fan joining the discussion and of the mind that Baker's works are very feminist. It has been my sacred duty ever since to ensure knowledge of this hilarious gaffe is not lost.

1 hour ago, Kelli Fury said:

In the olden times of EZboard he was one of us. As were many young nerds who grew to be celebrated authors in their own right. It was a magical age when this was a board full almost exclusively of people who were into fantasy novels and books in general, not HBO subscribers. There was also a time several years back (but on this iteration of the board) when R Scott Bakker defended himself in a thread about his series and feminism by pretending to be just another fan joining the discussion and of the mind that Baker's works are very feminist. It has been my sacred duty ever since to ensure knowledge of this hilarious gaffe is not lost.

Oh, I'm WELL aware of THAT.

8 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

To be fair to him, he came back to this board to answer all sorts of questions after the release of The Great Ordeal last year.

Was quite informative and fun to read.

9 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

What was Pat's handle?  I didn't realize he was a boarder before he was a big time fantasy author.

he outfucks the fairies

Holy shit, this made me snort tea at my desk...

I had no idea Pat posted back then... I was mostly a lurker on the EZboard, but I remember it well.

Every time this thread gets bumped I am filled with a foolish hope that something has happened, and inevitably cast back into despair. 

15 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

There was also a time several years back (but on this iteration of the board) when R Scott Bakker defended himself in a thread about his series and feminism by pretending to be just another fan joining the discussion and of the mind that Baker's works are very feminist. It has been my sacred duty ever since to ensure knowledge of this hilarious gaffe is not lost.

That is amazing :lol: 

R. Scott Bakker's screen name was "Reece Inverity" I think?

I think the Bakker stuff is still archived here, but I warn you, that path leads to madness.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

R. Scott Bakker's screen name was "Reece Inverity" I think?

Pierce Inverarity -- it's a reference to The Crying of Lot 49

8 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Pierce Inverarity -- it's a reference to The Crying of Lot 49

I was close, but no cigar.

20 hours ago, redeagl said:

Ja, he held a small AMA here once, IIRC.

Rothfuss was Pat and some numbers iirc