Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

182 posts in this topic

Pat150 was the blogger that runs Pat's Fantasy Hotlist, he now posts as Lord Patrek, and was one of the first bloggers talking about how great tNotW was.  He also had an early interview with Rothfuss that I believe had the first discussion of the trilogy being completed.  I don't recall Rothfuss ever posting here other than that ama, and there was zero discussion about him being a poster here when tNotW was released.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Pat150 was the blogger that runs Pat's Fantasy Hotlist, he now posts as Lord Patrek, and was one of the first bloggers talking about how great tNotW was.  He also had an early interview with Rothfuss that I believe had the first discussion of the trilogy being completed.  I don't recall Rothfuss ever posting here other than that ama, and there was zero discussion about him being a poster here when tNotW was released.

I was thinking someone had mixed up there Pats.

13 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

Rothfuss was Pat and some numbers iirc

I really had no idea he posted here before his explosion onto the SpecFic scene.  No wonder he wanted to hang out and have drinks with BWB folks in Montreal.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really had no idea he posted here before his explosion onto the SpecFic scene.  No wonder he wanted to hang out and have drinks with BWB folks in Montreal.

I'm not sure he did post here. See above about confusing our Pat with Pat R. 

3 minutes ago, unJon said:

I'm not sure he did post here. See above about confusing our Pat with Pat R. 

I saw that after I made my post.  He was very happy to have drinks with BWB folks in Montreal.  I missed it because I had to get to the airport to discover my plane had already left.

I'm still pretty sure he was on the board at some point, but I could be mistaken on the screen name. Scott is one of the only current boarders I can identify now as it is

Edited by Kelli Fury

Well I've been here for 15+ years, including the ezboard, and do not recall him posting here other that one time.  But the more telling thing is that lack of discussion of him being a board member when the book was released, had he been, then that's all everybody would have talked about.

ETA:  Here's the book's first thread.  I searched the first two pages and saw nothing indicating he was a member here, and I got the other Pat's user name wrong, it was pat5150.

Edited by RedEyedGhost

So I've been thinking about a disagreement I had a while back with a few peeps in this thread about Rothfuss and Mark Lawrence.

I said something along the lines that while Lawrence might be a better writer, he and Rothfuss are writing different types of stories. That Rothfuss's work, in addition to being longer, is more multi-layered, has more worldbuilding, etc. A lot of people took issue with this, in particular with the stance that Rothfuss's story is more multi-layered than Lawrence's, with more stuff going on beneath the surface.

Now that Lawrence has begun a trilogy that is somewhat more similar to the KKC than his previous work, what do we think of the comparison between the two authors? Those who've checked out Red Sister, how do you think it holds up next to TNotW?

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

LGK,

I continue to hold the opinion that Rothfuss writes better prose than almost anyone in SpecFic today.  But his rate of production and the arrogance he holds out to fans is pretty terrible.

Why doesnt he hire sanderson to finish the book and be done with it?

Well, I don't think Red Sister is comparable to TNOTW at all. Other than fantasy school, there's really nothing similar. Heck, even the schools aren't alike.

I will also remain unconvinced that Rothfuss work is multi layered til the third book actually comes out. I think people are seeing things that aren't there or that they want to see to justify some of the tropeyness.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Well, I don't think Red Sister is comparable to TNOTW at all. Other than fantasy school, there's really nothing similar. Heck, even the schools aren't alike.

I will also remain unconvinced that Rothfuss work is multi layered til the third book actually comes out. I think people are seeing things that aren't there or that they want to see to justify some of the tropeyness.

I tend to agree. 

It's less "multi layered" and more, "he hid some cool easter eggs and foreshadowing".

Well, my initial point, IIRC, was that Rothfuss and Lawrence are completely different types of writers, and using Lawrence's speed to attack Rothfuss's lack of progress is kind of unfair.

But set the multi-layered thing aside for a moment, and let's consider the areas that Rothfuss's work clearly does go more in depth into certain things. For example, Naming aside, magic in Rothfuss's work is an actual system with rules, whereas Lawrence kind of hand-waves magic in the Broken Empire as everything being the product of willpower. Worldbuilding is another one. Lawrence had some interesting worldbuilding in Emperor of Thorns, but otherwise he more or less just made a few minor changes to certain European belief systems for the mythology, and brought every region back to it's standard fantasy association. Western Europeans to medieval feudalism, Scandinavians are Vikings, etc. There's also currency, language, politics, etc.

Now, in Red Sister, Lawrence actually does do a bit more with the worldbuilding, magic, things of that nature. So my question is, how would you guys say these things compare with the KKC?

On 9/1/2017 at 11:24 AM, Kelli Fury said:

I'm still pretty sure he was on the board at some point, but I could be mistaken on the screen name. Scott is one of the only current boarders I can identify now as it is

Maybe if boarders would stop changing or adjusting their screen names... :P 

(I needed your sig to confirm you were who I thought you were)

Edited by Myrddin

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Maybe if boarders would stop changing or adjusting their screen names... :P 

(I needed your sig to confirm you were who I thought you were)

Kay was actually K., which was always short for Kelli *gasp*

I figured. Was just funny to see Kelli instead of Kay and have that moment of wonder whether there was more than one phone booth knife fighter. :) (that is one of my favorite sigs on the whole forum)

On 9/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, koudoulis said:

Why doesnt he hire sanderson to finish the book and be done with it?

Probably doesn't want book 3 to be unreadable :P 

8 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Indeed.  I'd rather wait for Rothfuss to finish than give it to Sanderson.  A Memory of Light was just boring.

54 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Done is better than perfect*. ;) 

*And it's an extremely long shot that Rothfuss is writing a perfect book.

Why would you even want it if Rothfuss isn't doing the writing? Just go dig up some fan-fiction if you're not discerning about whose crafting the story.

I mean, there might not be as much gratuitous sex...