Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

121 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Done is better than perfect*. ;) 

*And it's an extremely long shot that Rothfuss is writing a perfect book.

Done, but shitty, is a not a good substitute.  A Memory of Light was finished but sucked.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

At some point, I rather see an official ending to the story rather than wait for a perfect ending that will never happen.

Sucked that Jordan couldn't finish WoT, but I was glad to have Sanderson step in. Sucks that Martin can't seem to finish ASOIAF, but I'm ok with HBO finishing it off. Sucks that Rothfuss can't seem to squeeze more out of his muses, or maybe just get them to sing exactly how he wants.

There was a saying my old company (online training development): Perfect is the enemy of good. 

If perfection is your goal, you'll never finish.

Edited by Myrddin

Yeah, okay. I kind of see what you're saying. It's like when the restaurant is out of coke, so instead you ask them to bring you a glass of dirty mop water.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

The only time I've ever read a series finale written by a different author was And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer and I've been pretty against them ever since :P

Also I just don't like Sanderson's work in general. I'd rather have no official ending than an "official" ending written by someone else personally. Though at the current rate we'll have Lin Manuel Miranda writing the ending, Benioff & Weiss style. 

20 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

At some point, I rather see an official ending to the story rather than wait for a perfect ending that will never happen.

Sucked that Jordan couldn't finish WoT, but I was glad to have Sanderson step in. Sucks that Martin can't seem to finish ASOIAF, but I'm ok with HBO finishing it off. Sucks that Rothfuss can't seem to squeeze more out of his muses, or maybe just get them to sing exactly how he wants.

There was a saying my old company (online training development): Perfect is the enemy of good. 

If perfection is your goal, you'll never finish.

Myrddin,

Okay, suppose Rothfuss published a short story called "Day three" that briefly tells of Kvothe saying that he's done telling his story that he killed a king, faked his death, and then bought the Waystone and you see him as he is now and that is the end of the story.  Are you satisfied?  It ends the story and is far from perfect.  

I want the end of Rothfuss' story.  I would like the third novel.  Having Brandon Sanderson write subpar fan fiction based upon Rothfuss' notes would not complete the story in any way that is satisfactory in my opinion.  Perfect is the enemy of the good but replacing "perfect" with something that sucks is no real replacement. 

I just want to say that most of us have read plenty of Christopher Tolkien fanfiction. :leaving:

2 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I just want to say that most of us have read plenty of Christopher Tolkien fanfiction. :leaving:

That was quite good.

44 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Though at the current rate we'll have Lin Manuel Miranda writing the ending, Benioff & Weiss style. 

Yeah but in that case we still eventually get the real version. Not so if another author writes the last novel.

I don;t think Memory of Light was really Sanderson's fault, at least not completely. I honestly blame Harriet for a lot of the bullshit surrounding the last three. (And I still think Gathering Storm was one of the best Wot books since oh book 5).

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don;t think Memory of Light was really Sanderson's fault, at least not completely. I honestly blame Harriet for a lot of the bullshit surrounding the last three. (And I still think Gathering Storm was one of the best Wot books since oh book 5).

I did enjoy The Gathering Storm had the story ended their I would have been delighted... it didn't.  And as I understand it Jordan wrote most of that book.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Done, but shitty, is a not a good substitute.  A Memory of Light was finished but sucked.

We have a saying in Serbian that would translate to "You can't make a pie out of shit".

If you ask me, The Wheel of Time as a whole sucked. I stopped reading after Dragon Reborn because I found it unbearable. I can't say about Jordan's books that followed but if they were anything like first three books of the series, I'm pretty sure there's not a single author in the world that could turn that pile of shit into a pie.

Every single one of Sanderson's books I've read has been so much better (which basically comes down to being more fun to read, as far as I'm concerned) than any of Jordan's books I've read that even comparing them is borderline insulting to Sanderson.

Edited by baxus

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I did enjoy The Gathering Storm had the story ended their I would have been delighted... it didn't.  And as I understand it Jordan wrote most of that book.

Weird, as I understand it I though Jordon wrote most of Towers of Midnight out of all of them. But I'm super derailing.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Myrddin,

Okay, suppose Rothfuss published a short story called "Day three" that briefly tells of Kvothe saying that he's done telling his story that he killed a king, faked his death, and then bought the Waystone and you see him as he is now and that is the end of the story.  Are you satisfied?  It ends the story and is far from perfect.  

I want the end of Rothfuss' story.  I would like the third novel.  Having Brandon Sanderson write subpar fan fiction based upon Rothfuss' notes would not complete the story in any way that is satisfactory in my opinion.  Perfect is the enemy of the good but replacing "perfect" with something that sucks is no real replacement. 

A Day Three short story is neither good nor perfect or even in anyway desirable. It's a wikipedia entry.

Rothfuss (I assume) is consumed with finishing out his trilogy perfectly. That is a barrier he needs to overcome. It's never going to be perfect. Books 1 and 2 weren't (and I still enjoyed them). Good as book 1 is good enough for me. Doesn't need to be perfect.

As far as fan fiction (sanderson/HBO) finishing out the story, that was the fault of both Jordan and Martin. I hope Rothfuss doesn't allow his quest for perfection result in the same.

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yeah, okay. I kind of see what you're saying. It's like when the restaurant is out of coke, so instead you ask them to bring you a glass of dirty mop water.

(Assuming your comment was aimed at me)

No, it's like ordering a Coke and getting a Pepsi. It may be too sweet and not to your taste, but it's still a cola.

As an aside, I was under the impression Jordon worked backwards from the end of the story so A Memory of Light is most likely to contain the most Jordon.

3 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

(Assuming your comment was aimed at me)

No, it's like ordering a Coke and getting a Pepsi. It may be too sweet and not to your taste, but it's still a cola.

/shrug Like I said, if you don't care who writes it, go read some KKC fanfiction.

Not Jordan's fault that he died obviously, but he let the story expand too far. He thought he could still finish in one more book. Granted it probably took Sanderson three just because he had to wrap his head around someone else's vision, it would've still taken Jordan more than one. In the end, he ran out of time. Sadly.  

Well, like I have stated before I blame a lot of the fuck ups regarding the last three books on Harriet over Sanderson but thats a different discussion.

I honestly have no problem with Rothfuss taking as long as he wants, its just that he's a dick about it online and he treats his fans like shit.

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, like I have stated before I blame a lot of the fuck ups regarding the last three books on Harriet over Sanderson but thats a different discussion.

I honestly have no problem with Rothfuss taking as long as he wants, its just that he's a dick about it online and he treats his fans like shit.

I agree he treats his fans like shit and that his attitude about the whole thing has been pretty poor particularly considering his braggadocio about his ability to churn out a book a year early on.  But, that said, I think he is the only one who can properly complete this series.  I recognize "perfect is the enemy of the good" but I still want it to be "good".