Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

124 posts in this topic

That's my main issue with the idea of Sanderson completing the series. He and Rothfuss are completely different types of writers. Rothfuss has a very rich, poetic style of prose that Sanderson just wouldn't be able to imitate.

Yeah, i thought Sanderson was a good fit for WoT(ducks rocks) but i certainly wouldn't pick him for this.

Sanderson also cares a lot less about quality.  A lot of the scenes in Words of Radiance and Oathbringer have been badly written with a certain two dimensionality to the characters.  Sanderson at his best can address and overcome his flaw, but I suspect his first drafts are being less and less reworked now that he has achieved such great success.  

That said, I think what Rothfuss needs is for an associate with a passion for anonymity to produce a first draft of a chapter, based on notes from him. He can then rework it to his heart's content.  Sometimes you need to make writing a cooperative exercise, to move things along.

There is a mildly interesting discussion going on in one of the Rothfuss Facebook subgroups about what D&D alignment people would slap on Kvothe.  My inital view was "Chaotic Neutral".  Kvothe is fairly unconstrained about law and rules.  He morally willing to steal from people he dislikes or who he thinks have wronged him but does seem fairly empathetic and willing to help others.  

I could be talked into True Neutral or perhaps a hybrid calling him Chaotic/Neutral-good.  What do y'all think?

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, i thought Sanderson was a good fit for WoT(ducks rocks) but i certainly wouldn't pick him for this.

Absolutely agreed. (To be overly clear, I wasn't really advocating someone come write DoS.)

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is a mildly interesting discussion going on in one of the Rothfuss Facebook subgroups about what D&D alignment people would slap on Kvothe.  My inital view was "Chaotic Neutral".  Kvothe is fairly unconstrained about law and rules.  He morally willing to steal from people he dislikes or who he thinks have wronged him but does seem fairly empathetic and willing to help others.  

I could be talked into True Neutral or perhaps a hybrid calling him Chaotic/Neutral-good.  What do y'all think?

Without being completely fresh on the source material, I'd side with Chaotic Neutral too. He acts outside (and he sees himself above) normal rules and laws.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Some of the actions he takes in the novel push me towards thinking he's more chaotic evil.

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Some of the actions he takes in the novel push me towards thinking he's more chaotic evil.

But he's not delighting in doing bad things.  He's doing bad things with good intentions.  That's why I'm on the "Chaotic Neutral" bandwagon.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But he's not delighting in doing bad things.  He's doing bad things with good intentions.  That's why I'm on the "Chaotic Neutral" bandwagon.

I am not believing Kvothe's "spin" on those actions until we get a resolution to the story. Kote may regret his past actions, but Kvothe may actually have been a rather terrible person.

10 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I am not believing Kvothe's "spin" on those actions until we get a resolution to the story. Kote may regret his past actions, but Kvothe may actually have been a rather terrible person.

I do wonder about that.  

Yeah, I always think back to that bowl of rings he left in the brothel. Recall how much emphasis was put earlier in the book on the petty viciousness and brutality of the noble class, as well as just how big a deal those rings are. I imagine some of those women are probably going to be killed over Kvothe's "prank."

Ditto the book-seller that Kvothe gives Fifty Shades of Medieval to.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

I'd go with neutral evil myself, but it's been a while since I looked at D&D alignment definitions.

8 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yeah, I always think back to that bowl of rings he left in the brothel. Recall how much emphasis was put earlier in the book on the petty viciousness and brutality of the noble class, as well as just how big a deal those rings are. I imagine some of those women are probably going to be killed over Kvothe's "prank."

Ditto the book-seller that Kvothe gives Fifty Shades of Medieval to.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it in that context.  

27 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

remind me - what was 50 shades of medieval? 

It was a memior of all the kinky secrets that Kvothe learned while serving the Maer Alveron. He sold it to someone that intended to publish it and sell it as smut.

53 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

remind me - what was 50 shades of medieval? 

Working title of the Wise Man's Fear. :P

Haha but no, what Kraken said.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

It was a memior of all the kinky secrets that Kvothe learned while serving the Maer Alveron. He sold it to someone that intended to publish it and sell it as smut.

Thanks! I remember now.  It's definitely the case that Kvothe ignores the long term consequences of his actions, pursuing his narrow self-interest.  That's pretty Walter Whiteish, I would go with chaotic evil. 

If Kvothe is "evil" (and I won't hazard a guess until the end of the series) I'd say it's more neutral evil than chaotic.

See to me neutral evil has always been people who are self obsessed while chaotic evil are more the murdering psychopath type. But I'm old and was playing D&D in 1st ed, so.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

See to me neutral evil has always been people who are self obsessed while chaotic evil are more the murdering psychopath type.

That was my understanding as well.

By whatever metric, I cannot see the series ending in such a way as to put Kvothe in the same bracket as the Joker.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken