Myrddin

Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

201 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Just want to say that I love this thread title so hard

:D 

He does sound so unhappy you really feel sorry for the guy, but then he goes and says things like:

But if you can help, you should help. And if you should help and you don’t help, you’re an asshole.

And I’m constantly trying to find that line in my life between taking care of myself and taking care of the world. And I’m bad at it so far.

His story is pretty common, if you think about it. Fame and fortune doesn't bring happiness. 

And I admire his passion for causes. He is just too honest for print. :)

The next Rothfuss thread should have "The Caretaker of the World" in the title.

Still wouldn't be as great a title as this one's is, of course.

Truth be told, I can see him hosting a show like this and doing well at it.

With luck, the "investigations" into the myths will energize his writing.

36 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Prequel series will follow Kvothe's parents and their adventures, I presume?

For all we know it could focus on the adventures of a young Manet, but I suspect you're probably right.

I seem to have completely forgotten about everything that happened in The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (other than there being a crap dragon on drugs and Kvothe has sex with two ninjas whilst having trouble paying off his student loan). I can't remember anything that they could make a decent prequel out of, because the worldbuilding bordered on the non-existent.

Sometimes when I'm closing down the bar at 2am, listlessly cleaning our liquor bottles, I daydream that in a past life I was a totally badass guitar player in college who was taught my boundless sexual prowess by an ultra sexy professor. Also, that one time I ran from an overly territorial poodle, it was actually a dragon. I need to get to writing my autobiography. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.

48 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I seem to have completely forgotten about everything that happened in The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (other than there being a crap dragon on drugs and Kvothe has sex with two ninjas whilst having trouble paying off his student loan). I can't remember anything that they could make a decent prequel out of, because the worldbuilding bordered on the non-existent.

Kvothe's parents adventures as Edema Ruh.  Kvothe's dad wooing his mom.  Maybe the story of Elodin's tenure as the Chancellor of the University?

Hopefully it deals with the Chandrian and the Amyr.

Not by any means a spoiler, since nobody knows, but hypothesizing and using spoiler tags in case fellow boarders don't want the thought put in their head . . .

Spoiler

Speaking of the Edema Ruh, I find the similarities in pronunciation of that and the Ademre much too similar to be coincidence. Wondering if Rothfuss used the Aiel and Tinkers as inspiration.

Edited by Astromech

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Prequel series will follow Kvothe's parents and their adventures, I presume?

It follows the journey of the charming young Ambrose as he tries to convince his domineering father to send him to the University. Hijinks ensue. 

Or it's actually the story of drifter/serial killer Deena who aimlessly drifts through the world leaving a trail of murdered would-be suitors in her wake. 

"A pair of wandering performers on their adventures."

His parents then, starting with pops stealing his mom away from her noble family (Kvothe is a Lackless confirmed). His parents will no doubt coincidentally be in town when other important things are happening. They'll witness Illodin becoming the youngest chancellor ever and travel back in time to the fall of Mir Tariniel or however you spell that and probably help Jax steal the moon or something. :P 

Edited by KiDisaster

Patrick Rothfuss Is About to Be Fantasy’s Next Superstar

As for the unavoidable question of when, if ever, the third book will come out, that too remains unanswerable. Rothfuss, of course, is far from the first scribe of an epic fantasy series to take longer than fans would like to finish. When I asked him if there was something about the genre itself that made the story difficult to conclude, Rothfuss shook his head. “It’s me. It’s my process. It’s my life.” “He is very hard on himself,” Bialer told me later. “He is always deconstructing and putting his books back together.”

On 30/10/2017 at 10:26 PM, Jussi said:

“They don’t realize this is so wearying,” he said with a sigh when we spoke a few weeks ago. “It’s like asking, ‘When are you going to get married? When are you going to go to law school?’

It’s like, just fuck off. Just die. I don’t need any more of that in my life.”

I can understand that being badgered incessantly can be aggravating, but I'm still surprised to see an author referring to his fans in this way.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I can understand that being badgered incessantly can be aggravating, but I'm still surprised to see an author referring to his fans in this way.

I'd be surprised if it was anyone but Rothfuss.