Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pardon my ignorance, but do authors ever get a say on cover art and/or fight against a publishing company's choice on cover art?

If I'd labored over a book and they produced that as the cover I would be despondent at best.  

Generally, you get what you're given as far as covers are concerned. At least for the major publishers.

Small publishers can be more flexible.

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s not worth the very limited new information we get, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. I'm mystified why people buy things like this. But then again, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I buy that causes others to scratch their heads. 

3 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm mystified why people buy things like this. But then again, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I buy that causes others to scratch their heads. 

Actually, some of the information provided creates a lot more questions than it answers.  For example Simmon's dad is the Aturan Duke of Daloninir.  But in the new map provided Daoninir is in the Ceald not in Atur.  How does that work?

Actually Terry Goodkind.

"There are those who focus exclusively on this least important element -magic - simply because people I don't know, despite my strenuous objections at the time, insisted on placing a red dragon on the cover of my work, and because of that, and who published the book, I was racked in bookstores as fantasy."

I didn't participate much in the Goodkind threads, but this quote is everything.

17 hours ago, Triskele said:

So let me make sure that I understand:

If someone actually gets through the task of writing a publishable book in this genre and they (usually) need to sign with a publisher for a chance at commercial success there's a very solid chance that they could have to go with something like that as the cover and, if they want to get published, there's almost fuck all that they can do?

Do people understand this when they set out to write?

I don't know if you're seen it, but GRRM recently posted about him trying to protest the whitewashing on his Nightflyers cover in the mid-80s and getting nowhere.

On 2017-12-12 at 11:59 PM, AverageGuy said:

Actually Terry Goodkind.

"There are those who focus exclusively on this least important element -magic - simply because people I don't know, despite my strenuous objections at the time, insisted on placing a red dragon on the cover of my work, and because of that, and who published the book, I was racked in bookstores as fantasy."

I didn't participate much in the Goodkind threads, but this quote is everything.

Yeah, those pesky unknown people didn't know he writes about Important Human Themes. With dragons, magic swords and the like. 

I participated way too much in the Goodkind threads...

Archived