The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

On 21.05.2017 at 2:21 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

She's not even close to 35 in TW3 either. About the only thing Natalie Dormer fits for as Ciri is similarity of accent.

Right. Don't think Natalie Dormer, Emma Watson or Imogen Potts, but rather Millie Bobby Brown or Dafne Keen - they're more-or-less the right age. (And both have essentially played the part already: especially Logan and Laura are just Geralt and Ciri in different decorations).

Geralt could be fifty, or hundred and twenty, his age is never specified. He has decades of experience, and is in unnaturally good shape, that's all we know for sure.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Right. Don't think Natalie Dormer, Emma Watson or Imogen Potts, but rather Millie Bobby Brown or Dafne Keen - they're more-or-less the right age. (And both have essentially played the part already: especially Logan and Laura are just Geralt and Ciri in different decorations).

Geralt could be fifty, or hundred and twenty, his age is never specified. He has decades of experience, and is in unnaturally good shape, that's all we know for sure.

In the Blood and Wine expansion to TW3 it is suggested that Geralt is at least a couple of hundred years old ("remember that event in [the year] 924?" and TW3 is set in the mid 13th century). But that may be well off canon, and if the book series implies something closer to a normal human lifespan for witchers then I would prefer it to stick with that. 

I think either of those girls would be good for young Ciri. Imogen Poots would be pretty good as Ciri in the TW3 game timeline. 

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In the Blood and Wine expansion to TW3 it is suggested that Geralt is at least a couple of hundred years old ("remember that event in [the year] 924?" and TW3 is set in the mid 13th century). But that may be well off canon, and if the book series implies something closer to a normal human lifespan for witchers then I would prefer it to stick with that. 

That seems to contradict what's even said in the base game. In that scene at Kaer Morhen where everyone's drinking there's several lines suggesting Vesemir is around 200 years old, and he's supposed to be quite a bit older than Geralt or the other Wolf Witchers.

Also, I think Yennefer is about 100 years old and while I could see them being roughly the same age, or Geralt being younger, I can't see him being significantly older than her.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

That seems to contradict what's even said in the base game. In that scene at Kaer Morhen where everyone's drinking there's several lines suggesting Vesemir is around 200 years old, and he's supposed to be quite a bit older than Geralt or the other Wolf Witchers.

Also, I think Yennefer is about 100 years old and while I could see them being roughly the same age, or Geralt being younger, I can't see him being significantly older than her.

I could easily be mis-remembering the line, and that perhaps "remember event X" is not talking about personal memory but just an historical event that is widely known. He is talking to someone who is that old, or older, who was there.

• 6 months later...

Looking over her credits, she wrote one pretty good episode of DD, two rather poor. The Defenders was all right, but I'm guessing that was a show with a lot of hands in the pie.

Yeah, not sure about it just from what she's done so far. But she's never been the show runner before, so perhaps it's best to wait and see.

Good news is that something is happening and this means the show is a step closer. Bad news is the showrunner doesn't necessarily scream "yay" more a "huh" but Ran's right in that maybe she's ideal for this project and maybe when running a show she'll shine. It's not like The Witcher and Marvel netflix shows have a lot in common.

And it's not Scott Buck so there's a plus.

She was also a writer and story-editor on The West Wing. No idea if her episodes were good ones.

I'd be interested to see if they follow the books - where Geralt is sidelined after a while and isn't really the protagonist in later books - or if they will continue following the games and have Geralt front-and-centre the whole time.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

She was also a writer and story-editor on The West Wing. No idea if her episodes were good ones.

I'd be interested to see if they follow the books - where Geralt is sidelined after a while and isn't really the protagonist in later books - or if they will continue following the games and have Geralt front-and-centre the whole time.

The game approach makes more sense. It's not usually wise to abandon your main character in a show - unless you have a Kevin Spacey incident or the actor doesn't work in the part.

I tend to get the impression the wider appeal is via the games so would think that's the template over the books but I'm just making stabs in the dark.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The game approach makes more sense. It's not usually wise to abandon your main character in a show - unless you have a Kevin Spacey incident or the actor doesn't work in the part.

I tend to get the impression the wider appeal is via the games so would think that's the template over the books but I'm just making stabs in the dark.

The games are sequels to the books, so it'd be tricky to just do the game storylines as they - especially the first one - assume an existing familiarity with the previous book narratives.

OTOH, some of the team behind the games involved with the TV show and the same CGI team are involved, so it's a bit unclear at the moment what direction they're going to take.

They already announced previously that they're adapting the books. And given that the author is part of the team (as consultant), I don't see him agreeing if it wasn't about the books. Anyway, Geralt is still the protagonist (with Ciri) throughout the books, it's fairly normal to have several protagonists and parallel journeys in TV shows, I don't see the issue.

I also don't see how they could adapt the games, they're "sequels" yes, but also part of their own canon that contradicts heavily the book canon (with the flash forwards of the books, and the established setting and ending). The games also betray the spirit of the books or misinterpret certain situations on several occasions.

Quite a few shows start out in Season 1 with all the narrative being around one central character, but then the shows find the need to branch out and spend time with other main / supporting characters, with their own story arcs. So long as the show routinely cycles back to Geralt and Ciri I don't see a problem with the show spending a decent amount of time from Season 2 onwards with other characters without either Geralt or Ciri being on screen for maybe and episode or maybe two consecutive episodes. I would think 1/3 of the episodes in any season after season 1 having no Geralt or Ciri at all would be fine. And if they get as far as season 4 and above half of all episodes could be without Ciri or Geralt.

Also I think Ciri and Geralt should be co-leads with intertwining stories.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

The games are sequels to the books, so it'd be tricky to just do the game storylines as they - especially the first one - assume an existing familiarity with the previous book narratives.

OTOH, some of the team behind the games involved with the TV show and the same CGI team are involved, so it's a bit unclear at the moment what direction they're going to take.

That's interesting that the games team are involved in the show. I guess it suggests a potential inclination towards the plots there. Given the success of the games I guess the books are such that they translate well into open storytelling/gaming. Which gives the show developers more leeway. I think it's wise to have a clear protagonist and stick with them though unless the show sets out with several leads, i which case there's more flexibility.

Archived