The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Don't know nuthin' about the books, but for Geralt's ultimate love I chose Triss. So that's where I want the show to go.

Yeah, well, that's probably one of the things gamers will be disappointed about, since book!Triss is irrelevant for book!Geralt. There is only Yennefer.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Yeah, well, that's probably one of the things gamers will be disappointed about, since book!Triss is irrelevant for book!Geralt. There is only Yennefer.

I think that probably needs to be something the adaptation changes. The whole romance side of things is a bit boring without some kind of tension going on. Would be lame if it would be just a Triss vs Yen cat fight for the affections of "their man". Love triangles can be done really badly or done well.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think that probably needs to be something the adaptation changes. The whole romance side of things is a bit boring without some kind of tension going on. Would be lame if it would be just a Triss vs Yen cat fight for the affections of "their man". Love triangles can be done really badly or done well.

Well, that's the thing, there is no love triangle. Geralt has several affairs (Yennefer too) which often brings tension, but Triss is just one of them. She doesn't mean anything more than the others.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The game took an interesting route with Triss, and if you read the books and understand her relationship with Geralt before the games, it almost makes the Triss/Geralt thing feel manipulative. I thought I'd stick with Triss too, though, after the second Witcher, but the third one did a good job of shifting me back to Yennifer. It feels wrong, after the books, not to stick with her, though the games do give a nice way out of all that.

Either way, Yennifer and Geralt are at the core of the book's "love story,"--if you can even call it that--and I think the show will probably be adaptations of the books. I do think Triss will have a bigger role written for the show than she has in the books.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

The game took an interesting route with Triss, and if you read the books and understand her relationship with Geralt before the games, it almost makes the Triss/Geralt thing feel manipulative. I thought I'd stick with Triss too, though, after the second Witcher, but the third one did a good job of shifting me back to Yennifer. It feels wrong, after the books, not to stick with her, though the games do give a nice way out of all that.

Either way, Yennifer and Geralt are at the core of the book's "love story,"--if you can even call it that--and I think the show will probably be adaptations of the books. I do think Triss will have a bigger role written for the show than she has in the books.

Interesting. I felt that in TW3 There was a level of abusiveness in the Yen-Geralt relationship. In that Yen was occasionally abusies their relationship for her own purposes, and some of the stuff Yen does in the game really goes against the grain for Geralt. Whereas I think Triss and Geralt saw each other as genuine equals and partners. They have a bond of affection, Yen and Geralt have a bond of raw passion. Having only played TW3 I didn't have a sense of the history of the relationships. But I quickly caught on to the fact that Geralt and Yen were a hot thing so I felt that I should choose that relationship because that's kind of what the game suggests, so I did. But by the end of the game I thought I'd made the wrong decision.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Interesting. I felt that in TW3 There was a level of abusiveness in the Yen-Geralt relationship. In that Yen was occasionally abusies their relationship for her own purposes, and some of the stuff Yen does in the game really goes against the grain for Geralt. Whereas I think Triss and Geralt saw each other as genuine equals and partners. They have a bond of affection, Yen and Geralt have a bond of raw passion. Having only played TW3 I didn't have a sense of the history of the relationships. But I quickly caught on to the fact that Geralt and Yen were a hot thing so I felt that I should choose that relationship because that's kind of what the game suggests, so I did. But by the end of the game I thought I'd made the wrong decision.

Haha, yeah you got me, Geralt and Yen are about the MOST dysfunctional--leave it to them to make the Triss situation seem sweet and the good option. But I really do like Triss's character and relationship with Geralt in the games. Maybe my point of view is really influenced by the books in terms of Geralt and Yen ending up together. 

Edit: I mean, the short story A Shard of Ice--that just kills me every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Lauren Hissrich has been Tweeting about the development process. She and the writing team broke the pilot today and she's been putting together a series bible. They've even been pouring over maps to make the geography for the show consistent. She's also been confirming that there will be "no watering down" of the series.

Best casting suggestion so far - at least for physicality - I think is Zach McGowan, from The 100. Alas, Doug Cockle (who voiced all three games) hasn't quite got what it takes as a physical actor to do the role.

14 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

She could tweet something about the dates, because so far we know nothing about when the filming starts, not to speak about the premiere date.

Well, we wouldn't. That's far down the road.

If they've just started in the writing room now, and assuming a 13-episode season, that's at least 3-4 months of writing. Then there'll be production meetings to discuss filming locations, casting requirements, vfx etc. My guess is that shooting will not start until next summer. Airdate likely first half of 2019, based on the standard Netflix production model.

4 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I agree with the McGowan nomination for Geralt. Perfect look, physique, and growl of a voice for the character. Is Joseph Fiennes too old to play Dandelion?

Probably about 10 years too old, yes. He may also be too busy working on The Handmaid's Tale. If it's renewed for a third season it'll likely be filming next autumn, which is also likely when The Witcher is filming.

Character/actor ages will be interesting. Yenn and Triss are much older, but they look like they're in their thirties and twenties, respectively. Geralt looks like he's in his forties, although again he's a lot older. I've never worked out how old Dandelion is. In his twenties when he met Geralt, so in his thirties by the end of the books?

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yenn and Triss are much older, but they look like they're in their thirties and twenties, respectively.

No, that's a misconception from the games. Yennefer looks very young too. Late teen or early twenty.

The male wizards basically take a middle-aged appearance (forty/fifty), while the sorceresses choose to look very young. Which is pretty much what you would expect from societal archetypes.

39 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

No, that's a misconception from the games. Yennefer looks very young too. Late teen or early twenty.

The male wizards basically take a middle-aged appearance (forty/fifty), while the sorceresses choose to look very young. Which is pretty much what you would expect from societal archetypes.

"Societal archetypes" meaning "weirdly outdated viewpoints". I think we can safely say that they're not going to cast teenagers as Yenn and Triss in the TV show, they'll probably follow the example from the games there. Amongst other things, they'll be looking for a certain amount of experience (which is the same reason they're not casting teenagers as the rich people in Altered Carbon, even though logically they should be).

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

"Societal archetypes" meaning "weirdly outdated viewpoints".

But that's precisely the kind of things addressed on the twitter thread you linked. Given that she's saying nothing will be toned down and that it will stay true to the medieval context, I tend to believe they might cast early twenty actresses. And I don't see why not.

The sexualized storyline of Ciri is a much bigger issue. I really don't know how they will handle it. But GoT got away with it pretty well, by aging up the characters just a bit.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Probably about 10 years too old, yes. He may also be too busy working on The Handmaid's Tale. If it's renewed for a third season it'll likely be filming next autumn, which is also likely when The Witcher is filming.

Character/actor ages will be interesting. Yenn and Triss are much older, but they look like they're in their thirties and twenties, respectively. Geralt looks like he's in his forties, although again he's a lot older. I've never worked out how old Dandelion is. In his twenties when he met Geralt, so in his thirties by the end of the books?

Yeah I was figuring about the same for Fiennes. Him around the time of Enemy at the Gate and Shakespeare in Love would be perfect for the character in my mind. Of course thats about 20 or so years old now.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Geralt looks like he's in his forties, although again he's a lot older. I've never worked out how old Dandelion is. In his twenties when he met Geralt, so in his thirties by the end of the books?

Not a lot older, no. Sapkowski says Geralt was "above fifty" in the Baptism of Fire. As for Dandelion, his age is pretty much known. In Blood of Elves Dijkstra says to him something in the lines: you're almost forty, you look like almost thirty, you think you're a bit above twenty and you act like you're less than ten. So he's 35-40.

And I confirm both sorceresses look like in their early twenties, though we know Yennefer is in fact 95 years old.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

But that's precisely the kind of things addressed on the twitter thread you linked. Given that she's saying nothing will be toned down and that it will stay true to the medieval context, I tend to believe they might cast early twenty actresses. And I don't see why not.

The sexualized storyline of Ciri is a much bigger issue. I really don't know how they will handle it. But GoT got away with it pretty well, by aging up the characters just a bit.

I was taking that to mean that violence, blood, gore and, where appropriate, nudity and sex will be on-screen. I don't think they're going to cast a thirty or forty-something dude and have him sleeping with teenage girls on screen, no matter that's how it kind of looks in the books. The actresses being older (mid twenties or thirties) I think will be the way they go. Netflix generally don't go for casting really young actresses anyway (I believe the Riverdale cast are all a good 5-10 years older than they should be anyway, and even the Stranger Things kids are all a good couple of years older than they should be).

Anyway, one of the repeated fan-favourite casting choices for Yenn is Eliza Dushku and she's 37 (I'm assuming people realise she has aged since appearing in Buffy but you never know), so clearly it's an area which is open to interpretation.

I frankly do not even differentiate between mid and early twenty. Teen shows almost always cast teen looking mid twenty actors anyway. And did someone complain and find it weird that a 25 years old (or so) actress played a 15 years old or so TV Daenerys? Nope. It was believable enough. And they had her have sex with Drogo, didn't stir that much of an outrage.

Like the character, the actress just has to look like young. And that's important for the setting and the sorceresses way of life. It's glossed over in the games (but frankly, in games, 2D or 3D, the only possible distinction is between young and wrinkled, so...), but in the books, it's a pretty important point. The exact age of the actress on the other hand is irrelevant.

As for experienced actors, I don't think GoT had to cast any significant names for its young (and main) characters: Jon, Dany, etc.

Archived