‘The Alienist’: Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans & Dakota Fanning tv series

AncalagonTheBlack

first trailer for The Alienist, the anticipated psychological thriller based on the Anthony Award-winning bestseller by Caleb Carr. Set in 1896 amidst the vast wealth, extreme poverty and technological innovation of New York during the Gilded Age, the series follows the hunt for a serial killer responsible for the gruesome murders of boy prostitutes. Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans, Dakota Fanning and Brian Geraghty star. The trailer was first played today during Turner’s upfront presentation in New York City.

The series, currently shooting in Budapest, is helmed by BAFTA-nominated director Jakob Verbruggen (Black Mirror). Douglas Smith, Matthew Shear, Matt Lintz, Robert Wisdom and Q’orianka Kilcher also star.

The series is is a co-production of Paramount Television and Turner’s Studio T, with Verbruggen, Cary Fukunaga, Eric Roth, Hossein Amini,, E. Max Frye and Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Rosal ie Swedlin serving as executive producers

I didn't know about this either (no surprise, me being me).

It makes sense to make a film of this novel -- a darker Murdoch Mysteries, a more enclosed Ripper Street. These sorts of dark shows from this era are currently popular on screen, for sure, and even more popular in fiction than they were when The Alienist was published.  it's still the best written book Carr has presented.  His latest novel is a fairly ridiculous and overlong mess.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I didn't know about this either (no surprise, me being me).

It makes sense to make a film of this novel -- a darker Murdoch Mysteries, a more enclosed Ripper Street. These sorts of dark shows from this era are currently popular on screen, for sure, and even more popular in fiction than they were when The Alienist was published.  it's still the best written book Carr has presented.  His latest novel is a fairly ridiculous and overlong mess.

Yeah, the last novel I read of his was Killing Time. Pretty meh. I wish he'd get back to his Alienist characters. Good stuff. 

Filming in Budapest? Hmmmm, strange. I guess I can see how small portions of that city might resemble NYC at the start of the century. Maybe... If you squint.. 

33 minutes ago, Richard Writhen said:

The Alienist was good and The Angel of Darkness was even better ...

Surrender, New York (2016) s a pile of steaming overlong, pretentious, overstuffed, implausible (because of how he chose to present his plot of the intersections among politics, policing and child sex trafficking).  It's like he took lessons in author embarrassing himself with self-identification of dream protag from Greg Iles.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Premieres January 22

New trailer:

Wow... I'm surprised... they've been plugging this for so long that I figured it would have been much sooner... as in "any day now"... LOL... still this looks really interesting... and I'm glad that Dakota Fanning is getting roles... so many child stars don't make the transition into adulthood.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked it. I read the novel years ago, which was very good. I therefore know what to expect pace and story-wise. I could imagine the premiere seeming a bit on the slower side for viewers who haven't read the novel. I felt the three leads (Bruhl, Evans, Fanning) were good. It landed the tone and captured the setting of 1896 New York. I haven't read any reviews, so can't comment on any complaints.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

I liked it. I read the novel years ago, which was very good. I therefore know what to expect pace and story-wise. I could imagine the premiere seeming a bit on the slower side for viewers who haven't read the novel. I felt the three leads (Bruhl, Evans, Fanning) were good. It landed the tone and captured the setting of 1896 New York. I haven't read any reviews, so can't comment on any complaints.

I liked it as well. I haven't read the book. So, I found it dragged a little here and there, but, attributed it to the need for exposition. The sets and costumes and the three leads were amazing and, as you say, seemed to really capture the tone. Looking forward to the next ep.

Archived