"My Family's Slave"

8 hours ago, HouseVelaryon said:

Of course agree with you in that ISIS wives are definitely slaves but their situation is very different from Lola Eudocias. There are numerous examples of captured ISIS members themselves admitting that their "wives" were bought and sold and referring to them as "slave girls". It's clear that they considered them property which is the essence of slavery. 

And to be clear I'm not using cultural relativism as a blanket defense or saying this is something who someone from a different culture can never understand, however, studying the culture is required in order to see the underlying problem of the way she was treated which is a culturally flawed and systemic power dynamic between employer and employee. Just referring to the problem under the blanket definition of slavery and leaving it at that would end the conversation and wouldn't fairly illustrate how deeply rooted the problem that Lola Eudocia and many Filipinos who are put in similar situations overseas face.

I feel very strongly about the word slavery because, similar to the South of the United States, we're no stranger to slavery in the Philippines. We were a Spanish colony for 300 years ending only when we were, as an entire country, literally purchased from Spain by the United States for $20 million in 1898 which was decades after slavery in the US was officially abolished in 1865. We then continued as a colony of the US until just 1946. 

re: the bolded-- sorry but that's bullshit. the 'essence' of slavery is surely the bondage and servitude. not convinced commodification needs to enter into it at all. just because the tizon's may not have viewed eudocia as chattel (and who knows, it don't really matter because there is a noticeable lack of such a market, generally), that the word 'slavery' is apt here should not be in dispute

18 hours ago, HouseVelaryon said:

Of course agree with you in that ISIS wives are definitely slaves but their situation is very different from Lola Eudocias. There are numerous examples of captured ISIS members themselves admitting that their "wives" were bought and sold and referring to them as "slave girls". It's clear that they considered them property which is the essence of slavery. 

And to be clear I'm not using cultural relativism as a blanket defense or saying this is something who someone from a different culture can never understand, however, studying the culture is required in order to see the underlying problem of the way she was treated which is a culturally flawed and systemic power dynamic between employer and employee. Just referring to the problem under the blanket definition of slavery and leaving it at that would end the conversation and wouldn't fairly illustrate how deeply rooted the problem that Lola Eudocia and many Filipinos who are put in similar situations overseas face.

I feel very strongly about the word slavery because, similar to the South of the United States, we're no stranger to slavery in the Philippines. We were a Spanish colony for 300 years ending only when we were, as an entire country, literally purchased from Spain by the United States for $20 million in 1898 which was decades after slavery in the US was officially abolished in 1865. We then continued as a colony of the US until just 1946. 

The essence of slavery isn't whether or not the slave master considers the slave their property.  It's one of those where if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck even if you call it a horse.  Eudocia was a de facto slave.  The author is clear that Eudocia was the family slave.  

It's already been discussed that the slavery of today is different than the slavery of yesterday.  I think that's why it's difficult to use the words 'slave' and 'slavery' these days.  We hear slave and we imagine things from the history books, not our friend's domestic.  Slavery continues to exist the world over.  

Alex's wife with some insight on those 20 years and the accusation of Alex not trying to help.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/human-interest/wife-writer-alex-tizon-family-secret-slave-speaks-out/amp/

Melissa says her late husband and his four siblings offered time and time again to take her back to the Philippines.

“They tried so hard when they were old enough to help her get out of the situation she was in with their parents,” says Melissa. “They gave her ways to move in with them or help her get back to the Philippines, but at that stage in life she had so much devotion to Alex’s mom, that she always wanted to stay and it wasn’t until Alex’s mom died in 1999, that she was finally free. And when we gave her options again saying ‘You can live with any of the siblings or go back to Philippines, we’ll take care of you.’ She finally felt like she could take one of those options, so chose to live with Alex and I.”

• 8 months later...

Tangentially and miserably related to this thread in that slavery still exists and maybe even thrives in this country, an article from Cracked. of all sites, who I have to give major kudos on their reporting and bringing this to light. This is actually part of a series, amazing they are the ones putting forth such sober journalism, but thank goodness someone is doing so. But know that this is heart wrenching reading, disgusting and rage inducing and it will wear you out to read this.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1440-5-things-i-learned-as-sex-slave-in-modern-america.html

When you hear about modern-day slavery, you probably picture some third-world brutality occurring in Africa or Southeast Asia (and if you just muttered something about your unpaid office internship, go ahead and slap yourself right now). When you hear about sex trafficking, you imagine a gang of Eastern European thugs kidnapping women and getting chased down by Liam Neeson.

But, incredibly, human trafficking is a multi-billion-dollar industry in the United States today. Statistically, Liam Neeson is more likely to sell his own daughter into slavery than have her stolen by some mysteriously brown Parisians. Cracked wanted to know how the hell this was possible, so we sat down with "Jane," a former sex slave, and asked her about her life.

NOTE: We don't have a policy of putting trigger warnings on articles, but if there exists anywhere on Earth an article that needs such a warning, here it fucking is. In fact, if this doesn't disturb you, there is a good chance you are a crazy person.

With the article in OP of this thread and with what's come to light with the monster Nassar and US Gymnastics, and everything, this is all so horrible, unthinkable, and at the same time important to be made aware of.

Children being treated like this, living in these conditions, and they could be our next door neighbors, not in some far off country, wherever it is it is horrible, but to possibly be under our noses...I've been in situations before where I've hesitated with a senior neighbor suffering from dementia and not being looked after right where I was "Should I call social services, or should I call someone else, how should I be involved" eventually I did make some calls. But if I see signs of children being abused like this, I never thought I'd hesitate to call in help and make reports before, now I know I must not dare.

ETA:

Someone brought it to my attention just recently, now i see this article was from 2014, but I guess with Nassar in the news right now and just the our entire culture just ripped raw over the last year with all the stories of abuse, I can see why it's resurfaced and maybe more will take a look at it now.

Archived