R.I.P. Chris Cornell

3CityApache

he was a singer with a very distinct voice which was apparent with Audioslave where he transformed what was essentially rage against the machine into an entirely different thing.

I remember walking to record shop across from campus in the fall my freshman year to dig through the used CD bins. They had a Sony Discman taped down to the front counter. The guy at the counter told me to put on the attached headphones and listen. They had a copy of the just released Badmotorfinger playing. "Rusty Cage" began pounding its way into my brain.

Whoa.

The guy said they had already sold a bunch of copies just by putting the CD player and headphones on the counter.  I totally understood.

I didn't have enough cash to buy a new CD that day, but I did pick up the album at some point. It's loud, it's dark, it's fast, it's sludgy.  It's the sound of college wrapped up in one killer album.

I'm fortunate I was able to see them that next summer when they were part of the killer 1992 Lollapalooza lineup. It was loud and great.

Chris Cornell had a singular voice and it's a shame he is gone too soon.

Just read an text message from my wife saying Chris is dead. My favourite singer from my favourite band.

I never forget the day I first heard Jesus Christ Pose, to me their best song and the embodiment of their name.

God this sucks.

Archived