Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drawkcabi

Reboot Bug Now Infecting Television Shows

17 posts in this topic

We know that the bulk of big tent films of the 21st century has been a wasteland of retooled, reused, cash grab ideas. In other words, unoriginal. Along with a handful of actually original or almost all original films like Inception, again, speaking of big studio movies here, there has been some really excellent retreads of old ideas, but for every Fury Road or Dark Knight or Force Awakens, there's a Kingdom of the Crystal skull, Batman V Superman, Fant4stic, Transformers age of this sequel sucks, etc. YMMV on all this, of course, but it has been a common held opinion that Hollywood is a vast wasteland of sequels, reboots, adaptations, and comic book movie after comic book movie, with good original ideas few and far between.

It's not been all bad, every year there are some movies to get excited about. But compare that to the television landscape, it's been like a new golden age of quality programs. With HBO, AMC, FX, Netflix, and Amazon all producing great stuff. The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

First though the comic book adaptation infected television with CW's DC Universe, ABC and Netflix's Marvel Universe. There seemed enough room for all the good, bad and mediocre. But now the trend has come to bringing back old sitcoms either direct spin-offs or reboots like Fuller House, Gilmore Girls, and One Day At A Time.

Now we are getting new seasons of Will & Grace and Roseanne.

It's an alarming trend. I blame Jaxom, just like the Cubs winning the World Series, he had to have his Girl Meets World Show that started it all. :P 

Edited by drawkcabi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that Fuller House is netflix most watched show and that #2 isn't even close.

How about the American Idol reboot after like only one year of absence.

I'm pretty excited for Roseanne though.

Edited by DunderMifflin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twin Peaks is coming back too. That one actually has a good reason to though. 

The only thing I have to say regarding a Roseanne reboot is its a huge waste of a very talented actor in John Goodman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gronzag said:

The X-Files is also back, with Andreson and Duchovny.

Yeah and it was dreadful. Also didn't they do a soft reboot of 24? And they are doing a reboot of Ben 10 apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always get reboots, remakes and relaunches mixed up. I don't really have an issue with whichever one means "a continuation from the old show" while I'm usually more hesitant over "complete do over and pretending the original never happened".

There seems to be so much programming around these days that there's probably room for all these shows too. As long as they are on streaming services they aren't fighting over airtime. They might be fighting over money but that doesn't seem to be an issue yet for Amazon and netflix.

It's more of a concern when it happens on regular channels that only have an allotted amount of time in a week to air programs. I can remember when reality tv was at its height and scripted dramas had hardly anywhere to screen. It's an issue I think CW needs to be careful with in the sense it's almost the DC comics channel - they probably air more SFF than the syfy channel these days (if you include superheroes which you should).

In general I get the impression reboots aren't a guaranteed hit. 24 and prison break haven't really caught on. Heroes failed miserably. Comedies appear to be a safer bet in general.

Wonder when Friends comes back for 12 episodes with the cast getting several million per episode? The world would lose its shit over that.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

 

The only thing I have to say regarding a Roseanne reboot is its a huge waste of a very talented actor in John Goodman.

Every episode of Roseanne he's in is a quarter of a film we could have seen him being mindblowing in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned they can do as many reboots or re do's as they want, it just gives us the viewers options and a chance to see something that might be good. If not we all tune out and it goes away. There are a million ways to view entertainment now so they need to fill it with something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

 

It's an alarming trend. I blame Jaxom, just like the Cubs winning the World Series, he had to have his Girl Meets World Show that started it all. :P 

Bah.

It's still raw that they let go of Girl Meets World...total mistake...

But the remake bug has been on television for a while. Hawaii Five-0 is about to go into it's eight season, for example.

The problem isn't the Cubs, the problem is cable is too big. Too many hours to fill on too many stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

 

The only thing I have to say regarding a Roseanne reboot is its a huge waste of a very talented actor in John Goodman.

Dan Conner is the reason we know who John Goodman is though.

Edited by DunderMifflin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Dan Conner is the reason we know who John Goodman is though.

Doesn't mean he should reprise the role. He's gone on to bigger and (much) better things. Hopefully this won't take too much time away from his movie career. 

Edited by Nictarion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Doesn't mean he should reprise the role. He's gone on to bigger and (much) better things. Hopefully this won't take too much time away from his movie career. 

I'm offended by your lack of respect for how great of a show Roseanne is.

That reminds me, I thought Dan died of a heart attack on the show???

Edited by DunderMifflin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

It's an alarming trend. I blame Jaxom, just like the Cubs winning the World Series, he had to have his Girl Meets World Show that started it all. :P 

You can also blame @Jaxom 1974 for Trump winning. He's 100% responsible for that, and he won't even deny it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

We know that the bulk of big tent films of the 21st century has been a wasteland of retooled, reused, cash grab ideas. In other words, unoriginal. Along with a handful of actually original or almost all original films like Inception, again, speaking of big studio movies here, there has been some really excellent retreads of old ideas, but for every Fury Road or Dark Knight or Force Awakens, there's a Kingdom of the Crystal skull, Batman V Superman, Fant4stic, Transformers age of this sequel sucks, etc. YMMV on all this, of course, but it has been a common held opinion that Hollywood is a vast wasteland of sequels, reboots, adaptations, and comic book movie after comic book movie, with good original ideas few and far between.

It's not been all bad, every year there are some movies to get excited about. But compare that to the television landscape, it's been like a new golden age of quality programs. With HBO, AMC, FX, Netflix, and Amazon all producing great stuff. The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

First though the comic book adaptation infected television with CW's DC Universe, ABC and Netflix's Marvel Universe. There seemed enough room for all the good, bad and mediocre. But now the trend has come to bringing back old sitcoms either direct spin-offs or reboots like Fuller House, Gilmore Girls, and One Day At A Time.

Now we are getting new seasons of Will & Grace and Roseanne.

It's an alarming trend. I blame Jaxom, just like the Cubs winning the World Series, he had to have his Girl Meets World Show that started it all. :P 

As I never watched any of this stuff the first time around, I'm sure as heck not bothering now. 

O well, as television devolves back into its previous state, that will leave us all more time for political actions. :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can also blame @Jaxom 1974 for Trump winning. He's 100% responsible for that, and he won't even deny it. 

I apologized.  More than 45 ever did for the people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm offended by your lack of respect for how great of a show Roseanne is.

That reminds me, I thought Dan died of a heart attack on the show???

Roseanne says she has a workaround for that:

Spoiler

She finds out that Dan faked his death and now he's come back after the twenty-odd years the show's been over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I apologized.  More than 45 ever did for the people. 

Did you? I recall you trying to blame it on alcohol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did you? I recall you trying to blame it on alcohol. 

Which is an apology. Of the Hollywood sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.