do skinchangers really look like their animals?

snow is the man

If someone didn't take an animal until they were an adult then how could it be affected in terms of how they look. Or do they subtely change into looking like their animal. I undertsand jon given he was meant to find the direwolves and as a stark it is the sigil of their house (though he is a snow).

They say you forget," Haggon had told him, a few weeks before his own death. "When the man's flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains."

Once a beast's been joined to a man, any skinchanger can slip inside and ride him. Orell was withering inside his feathers, so I took the eagle for my own. But the joining works both ways, warg. Orell lives inside me now, whispering how much hehates you.

I doubt their apperance changes matches but they can take on each others traits

On 20/05/2017 at 5:43 AM, snow is the man said:

If someone didn't take an animal until they were an adult then how could it be affected in terms of how they look. Or do they subtely change into looking like their animal. I undertsand jon given he was meant to find the direwolves and as a stark it is the sigil of their house (though he is a snow).

Yes, why not? The body language at least would transfer over. Character is influenced too, according to Varymyr's teacher, which over time would appear in set of the face.

No they do not.  But you're not the first person to ask that question.  Join Roose's ancestors because he thought the same.  That's why his family skinned the Starks and their prisoners.  Extreme pain will break the skinchange connection and thus the skinchanger loses control of the prisoner.  That's the only way to know who you have captured and helps with interrogation. 

Archived