Euron's Heir: Worthy of Whom?

hiemal

"They are of your body."

"So are the contents of my chamber pot. None is fit to sit the Seastone Chair, much less the Iron Throne. No, to make an heir that's worthy of him, I need a different woman. When the kraken weds the dragon, brother, let all the world beware."... AFFC

Who?! My only guess is the Storm God, whose champion I suspect Euron is, but I would love to hear some other ideas.

35 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I think Euron is  speaking about himself . 

I considered that, but I don't recall him using the third person about himself anywhere else. It could be just bad grammar, I guess.

20 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

Going with the whole eldritch theme, I wonder if Euron now serves an Elder God? Tentacles are never good, and the mention of Deep Ones even less so.  

Could be. I'm unclear on the details, but I provisionally link the Storm God with the Merling King. I wish we knew more about the Manderly's relationship with the Ironborn, both while on the Mander and as guardians of the White Knife.

32 minutes ago, hiemal said:

I considered that, but I don't recall him using the third person about himself anywhere else. It could be just bad grammar, I guess.

Anyway I wonder if Euron wants Dany to make this heir with him ? A child that is half Euron - half Targaryen might the worthy heir he 's speaking off. 

4 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Anyway I wonder if Euron wants Dany to make this heir with him ? A child that is half Euron - half Targaryen might the worthy heir he 's speaking off. 

I think he is definitely planning that, as the next line indicates- " When the kraken weds the dragon, brother, let all the world beware." ...AFfC

1 hour ago, hiemal said:

I think he is definitely planning that, as the next line indicates- " When the kraken weds the dragon, brother, let all the world beware." ...AFfC

Doubt he suceeds with that . But I wonder how that kid would be. 

9 hours ago, hiemal said:

"So are the contents of my chamber pot. None is fit to sit the Seastone Chair, much less the Iron Throne. No, to make an heir that's worthy of him, I need a different woman. When the kraken weds the dragon, brother, let all the world beware."... AFFC

Based on simple parsing of English, "Him" refers to the Iron Throne, though why he's personifying it I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, LordImp said:

Doubt he suceeds with that . But I wonder how that kid would be. 

A heraldic nightmare of flames and wings and tentacles, but smelling of calamari.

1 hour ago, Damon_Tor said:

Based on simple parsing of English, "Him" refers to the Iron Throne, though why he's personifying it I'm not sure.

My best guess would be that it has something to do with

Spoiler

Aeron's vision in the Forsaken TWoW chapter of the Drowned God and the other gods of Westeros impaled on the Iron Throne before which, iirc, Euron weds the Bride of Fire.

Could Euron be verbally deifying the Iron Throne as the God of Rape, Murder, and Pillage?

11 hours ago, hiemal said:

"They are of your body."

Who?! My only guess is the Storm God, whose champion I suspect Euron is, but I would love to hear some other ideas.

Bloodraven? The Great Other? Whatever the hell is in Stygai? Regardless Euron is being influenced by someone or something IMO.

11 hours ago, hiemal said:

Could be. I'm unclear on the details, but I provisionally link the Storm God with the Merling King. I wish we knew more about the Manderly's relationship with the Ironborn, both while on the Mander and as guardians of the White Knife.

Also House Velayron got a throne from the Merling King.

10 hours ago, hiemal said:

It seems a lot of people want to bed Dany to create a savior or destroyer. Drogo for the Stallion that Mounts the World, the Green Grace wants a half dragon half Harpy to rule over Slavers Bay etc.

9 hours ago, Snowmelter said:

I would imagine he is speaking of the Storm King.  I love the subtle (and not so subtle) Lovecraftian references, but it would be too much if it was a Great Old One.

Any of the Lovecraft references are subtle? ;p  The original world-building feels very old school to me, there's a lot of Conan nods going on, and Howard explicitly intended those stories to be affiliated with the Cthulhu canon.  The original inhabitants of Westeros have a truly Celtic Formori feel, I'm not sure they were actually human, just shaped that way.  I absolutely think there are ancient inhuman nasties lurking, and Euron is mad enough to have poked one with a stick

He's talking about Drogon. Euron needs a heir of Targaryen blood to sacrifice so that he can second life the dragon. As what happened by accident to Drogo when Rhaego died and he lost his soul, he second lifed Drogon.

Euron has the gist of how it works, that it's what his horn does (dragonbinder. Blood for fire, fire for blood), that he has to sacrifice himself to do it (leap from a tall tower. Cragorn's died, you know. No mortal man may sound me and live) and that he needs a Targaryen child of his blood to do it (bring my wife to me brother, the last of her line). And then he can second life the dragon (fly).

Some potential suspects could be

• Bloodraven - For obvious reasons.
  • The Storm God - The "Evil God" of Eurons fellow Ironborn, could certainly explain the seemingly anti-Drowned God sentiment held by The Iron King, aswell as Euron's apparent manipulation of weather patterns.
  • The Great Other - Said to bring forth pain, destruction and large scale extinction events, which may tie in with Eurons boasts of "bringing forth a new age" and such.
  • Euron himself, post magical transformation - A longshot indeed,but all this talk of Krakens, sphinxes and Gorgossos, aswell as the nightmarish visions beheld by Aeron could hint to Euron transforming himself into some Kraken-man.
  • He of Many Faces - Could a working relationship have been established between The Crow's Eye and the Assasins in the wake of Balon's death? While we have nothing really hinting to such in the texts, let's not forget The Faceless Men command such a high price partly because they keep their business on the DL.
  • The Bloodstone Emperor - One of the most talked about new characters from TWOIAF, The Tiger Woman's Husband seemingly had many similiarities to Euron, chiefly his dark overlord ways and his connection to the Dany esque Amethyst Empress. One argument against this could be how Euron seems to hold little regard for the Oily Black Seastone Chair.
  • Balerion, God of Valyria - A little crackpottery, for our tinfoil mask wearing OP. If Euron did indeed spend time in the allegedly madness inducing apocalyptic wasteland of The Valyrian Peninsula, then why not? That the big bad of the Targaryen Dragons was named after a God of the Freehold always struck me as overlooked. What exactly did belief in Balerion The God entail? The Valyrian tradition of holding to many different gods could be seen as similiar to Euron's use of various priests in his schemes. Perhaps the God of Valyria has been whispering in Euron's ear, helping him procure exotic trinkets such as VS daggers, the horn and that "special suit".

Euron's bastards could be pretty interesting, and I would enjoy seeing their characters and motives touched upon in the next book.

We hear he has fathered multiple bastards, yet the only one we get a good glimpse of the dark skinned lad with the wooly hair. The kid's appearance is pretty interesting in itself as we are not made privvy to any other mixed race Iron Born, another sign of Euron's unique lifestyle. Judging by the boy's appearance, a plausible home for the mother could be The Summer Islands, specifically, Tall Trees Town on Walano. 

Aah, fair Walano! Home to three major Summer settlements, the island was reportedly the location where The Summer Islanders first made contact with the outside world, as a Ghiscari slave ship was blown off course by some Greyjoy esque raging storm.

So we have had several theories accusing Euron of using the allias "The Corsair King" on this forum, some of which give good possible  movements for Crow's Eye during his three years in exile. One piece of information that always seems to catch an eye or two is how a new corsair King had risen in the Basilisk Isles, only to raid Tall Trees Town. If this King is indeed our Shade Drinking Ironman, then why Tall Trees Town?

Three reasons spring to mind

• To retrieve the bastard he had fathered 10 plus years ago
  • To catch a glimpe of the famous Talking Trees of Walano.
  • For the plunder

In regards to the boy, this is a child who has lived 10 years, whilst Euron was only in exile for 3, telling us that Euron may have fathered a bastard and then found him after nearly a decade. (Unless the wooly haired lad was with Euron before his exile, which we have no hints at other than Victarion recognising him) Let's not forget that The Summer Islanders are arguably the world's greatest sea faring peoples, so a child of half Summer half Ironborn blood could certainly grow to be a fearsome sailor, something you would think Euron would see as beneficial. Now "dark skinned and wooly haired" does not necisarilly mean Summer Island descent, as certain other races such as Ghiscari have similiar traits, however I'm going to go with The Summer Islands as a home for the boys mother, due to the nautical nature of the people there, aswell as The Talking Trees.

Are these Trees Who Talk merely engraved wood, containing histories and songs of the handsome, intelligent Summer Islanders? Or are they something more in line with The Weirwood Network? If we assume the latter, then one could understand why Euron Greyjoy may want to visit. “When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly. When I woke, I couldn’t... or so the maester said. But what if he lied?” This line has drawn many similiarities to Bran and Bloodravens abilities. If Euron does indeed have some connection to BR, then would it be much of a stretch to imagine The Crow's Eye seeking out the Talking Trees of Walano, to perhaps jack into another version of The Weirwood Net? 

Having a son with one of the locals may be useful from a "combinging magical blood" aspect, if we imagine some Summer Islanders have a stark/Targ/Blackwood style higher mystery based genetic imprint which can be passed down, then maybe Euron sought out this bastard to help his Weirwood/Talking Trees abilities.

Maybe the "HIM" Euron said the bastards were not worthy of is some Talking Trees related Summer Island Greenseer? 

(Tinfoil hats and cardboard helmets aplenty here my friends) 

Another possible mother for the dark skinned son could be The Black Pearl Belegere Otherys. A descendent of Aegon IV and a Summer Island pirate captain, this lineage would mean Euron already has a "drop of dragon" in his menagerie, perhaps this would then make the lad useful for some sacrificial ceremony?

I also wonder who the other bastards are? And are their mothers from exotic locales too?

5 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Bloodraven? The Great Other? Whatever the hell is in Stygai? Regardless Euron is being influenced by someone or something IMO.

Also House Velayron got a throne from the Merling King.

It seems a lot of people want to bed Dany to create a savior or destroyer. Drogo for the Stallion that Mounts the World, the Green Grace wants a half dragon half Harpy to rule over Slavers Bay etc.

Someone in Stygai is a good suggestion. If there's someone who dont fear Stygai it's Euron. 

7 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

He's talking about Drogon. Euron needs a heir of Targaryen blood to sacrifice so that he can second life the dragon. As what happened by accident to Drogo when Rhaego died and he lost his soul, he second lifed Drogon.

Euron has the gist of how it works, that it's what his horn does (dragonbinder. Blood for fire, fire for blood), that he has to sacrifice himself to do it (leap from a tall tower. Cragorn's died, you know. No mortal man may sound me and live) and that he needs a Targaryen child of his blood to do it (bring my wife to me brother, the last of her line). And then he can second life the dragon (fly).

That is some shiny tinfoil! Much appreciated. That would be an unexpected merger of kraken and dragon and bad news for Dany.

Archived