Lord Edric Baratheon

Is anyone else growing less and less convinced of r+l=j, as the re-read goes on...

30 posts in this topic

It has become so "obvious" that I'm starting to doubt it.

No. The 3 most reliable KG at the ToJ. The questions of Ned. Why were you not with Rhaegar, Aerys or Viserys, left me no doubt. I don't need 100s of pages to westeros.org sterile discussion or another book's excerpt.

Posted (edited)

I don't doubt it, but I understand that after reading stuff on this forum, and re-reading, you can start to doubt anything. To tell the truth, I can't even remember if I worked out Jon's parentage myself or read it on the forum first, seeing as I read the books very scattily at first, as I am an impatient reader and read some characters POV through first, missing others, and going back.

I think that some tricks and reveals would be cheap and silly and ruin the story rather than being clever - and making Jon someone else's child would be in that bag. I also doubt that all the hidden identities and secrets in the book will be somehow overtly revealed on page, ever, as that would spoil them too. So Jon's parentage may never be revealed, just confirmed with some more circumstantial evidence. 

Edited by Castellan
spelling

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, Lord Edric Baratheon said:

Any thoughts? Insight is always appreciated to loosen these knots and learn a bit more.

Check out the Order of the Green Hand videos in youtube if you want an alternative theory on Jon's parentage.

Ned's thoughts in the first book already give a hint that Jon is Lyanna's son. Her words "Promise me..." before her death can only mean something very important. An important secret. And Ned stubbornly doesn't reveal anyone the mother's name of his bastard son and doesn't talk about her at all. He would reveal to his  wife that Jon is Lyanna's son if the father would be someone else. Jon is Rheagar's son and that's why it must be secret. His best friend Robert would kill the child. He's famous for his temper.

Also the direwolf. Re-reading the first book, it seemed symbolic that he gets the white wolf. Not because he's Snow but because the Targaryens are white-haired. He is Stark but he is also his father's son.

Then I got to the part when Jon got severe burns while saving Mormont from the Wights. So he's not fire resistant like Dany. But then... We don't know much about Targaryens. Probably not all of them are "dragons".

So I will keep reading. (:

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Ned's thoughts in the first book already give a hint that Jon is Lyanna's son.

1 - Her words "Promise me..." before her death can only mean something very important. An important secret.

2 - And Ned stubbornly doesn't reveal anyone the mother's name of his bastard son and doesn't talk about her at all. He would reveal to his  wife that Jon is Lyanna's son if the father would be someone else. Jon is Rheagar's son and that's why it must be secret. His best friend Robert would kill the child. He's famous for his temper.

3 - Also the direwolf. Re-reading the first book, it seemed symbolic that he gets the white wolf. Not because he's Snow but because the Targaryens are white-haired. He is Stark but he is also his father's son.

4 - Then I got to the part when Jon got severe burns while saving Mormont from the Wights. So he's not fire resistant like Dany. But then... We don't know much about Targaryens. Probably not all of them are "dragons".

1 - what was important to her at that time and place is pure speculation, Just as well it could had been "bury me in the crypts at Winterfell". Or "plant flower X on my grave". Or even - "promise me I will not die".

2 - again pure speculation. There could be several reasons - more or less important, or simply "it seemed a good idea at that time", for the hush-hush.

3 - a white direwolf fits the heraldry bastards use, i.e. reversing the House's colours. Inverting the Stark colours gives you "a white direwolf on black", and not "silver on grey".

4 - Dany is not (permanently) fire resistant either. It is a TV series thing. Viserys or Aegon Vth - or all the other Targs who buned themselves - certainly were not. So any heat resistance Daenerys Stormborn the Unburnt might have is her individual mutation :)

Edited by TMIFairy

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:09 AM, Lord Wraith said:

I'd say if you just read the first 2-3 books then R+L=J seems obvious but the hints Martin keeps dropping in later books could point in several directions. Personally I am about 70/30 on R+L=J. I would like it to be N+A=J.

Here, here! The parents Jon deserves.

I'm re-reading GoT and I noticed how GRRM throws strong hints at R+L=J and then tries to send the reader in some other direction, especially in the early Ned and Catelyn chapters. It's highly unlikely that Jon's mother is anyone other than Lyanna. He looks like Lyanna, and even has talents like hers, like riding. He is shown as a blue rose in one of Dany's House of Undying visions, and we know who blue roses are associated with. If he's Lyanna's son, he is also likely Rhaegar's too, cause you know, she wasn't with anyone else. 

As for Ashara Dayne, she could be Faegon's mother. She could also be Quaith, according to some fans. I think her eyes are an indication she has Targ blood. I'm not sure about House Dayne's ancestry. But wasn't Rhaenys (Aegon's I's sister-wife) downed in Dorne and then she disappeared? There's a chance that there's a Targ line in Dorne descending from her. It could also point to Valyrian's being in southern Westeros thousands of years ago to defeat the Others. 

On 8/19/2017 at 8:04 PM, TMIFairy said:

4 - Dany is not (permanently) fire resistant either. It is a TV series thing. Viserys or Aegon Vth - or all the other Targs who buned themselves - certainly were not. So any heat resistance Daenerys Stormborn the Unburnt might have is her individual mutation :)

GRRM has said that Dany is not fireproof. She burns just like everyone else. Her surviving the funeral pyre at the end of GoT was apparently a special magical event. Dany, however, has a higher tolerance for heat, like Ned has a higher tolerance for cold. She likes soaking in scalding hot water for example. But it doesn't mean she's not hurt by fire any less than Ned (or other Starks) can die from hypothermia. 

I think its definatley R+L=J... Now for one I think at this point Martin would have a little bit of an inclination to change it to give back the sense of surprise, however, he mentioned he would never change his story JUST because people saw it ahead of time. I think it is pretty secure, forgetting the TV series, the IDEA of Jon as a Targ/Stark so well fits with the theme of the story... and honestly I think there's more evidence that this theory is true than ANY OTHER theory in the books.