Dany child of 3

Dothraki cut their hair when the are defeated

Jhiqui follows Dothraki custom and fastens a bell in Daenerys’s hair to mark her victory over the Undying. Daenerys tries to tell her that she has won no victories but Jhiqui disagrees, telling Dany that she burned the maegi in their house of dust and sent their souls to hell. Daenerys decides to hold her tongue thinking that the Dothraki will esteem her all the more for a few bells in her hair

Now what does this mean for the 2 occasions she has lost her hair? And do they tie in with the slayer prophecy?

The whispers became a swirling song…three fires must you light…one for life and one for death and one to love…Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt…three mounts must you ride…one to bed and one to dread and one to love…The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath…three treasons will you know… once for blood and once for gold and once for love…

Child of 3, 3 fires, 3 mounts, 3 treasons.

I will suggest they are all tied in together.  They also will tie in with the loss of her hair.  The first is easy the fire is the funeral pyre, the mount her silver or Drogo although the timeline is not as close as I would like, treason is Mirri as in blood fude

2nd is in the fighting pit, fire is dragon fire, mount is Drogon, treason I will not speculate on others have made a good case for the shavepate, gold would represent personal gain.

Now I have stated that Dany is following the tradition of the Dothraki Khal, except she isn't.

"Jhogo, to you I give the silver-handled whip that was my bride gift, and name you ko, and ask your oath, that you will live and die as blood of my blood, riding at my side to keep me safe from harm."

Jhogo took the whip from her hands, but his face was confused. "Khaleesi," he said hesitantly, "this is not done. It would shame me, to be bloodrider to a woman."

Aggo accepted the bow with lowered eyes. "I cannot say these words. Only a man can lead a khalasar or name a ko

You are khaleesi," Rakharo said, taking the arakh. "I shall ride at your side to Vaes Dothrak beneath the Mother of Mountains, and keep you safe from harm until you take your place with the crones of the dosh khaleen. No more can I promise."

Having trouble inserting quotes with my phone apologies.

So Dany is a Khal and has bells in her hair when she is victorious and looses her hair when defeated, however she is a Khaleesi (with a capital K) not a Khal.  Her defeats are not defeats in battle but rather set backs in how she intends to live her life.  Mirri kills Drogo out of the flame the Phoenix is reborn, no longer a khaleesi (lower case) she is the mother of dragons with her own agency.  And later simply becomes mother

Dany felt a lightness in her chest. I will never bear a living child, she remembered. Her hand trembled as she raised it. Perhaps she smiled. She must have, because the man grinned and shouted again, and others took up the cry. "Mhysa!" they called. "Mhysa! MHYSA!" They were all smiling at her, reaching for her, kneeling before her. "Maela," some called her, while others cried "Aelalla" or "Qathei" or "Tato," but whatever the tongue it all meant the same thing. Mother. They are calling me Mother.

The coup in the fighting pits is a defeat in her attempt to establish a peaceful legacy/transition.  Who will emerge out of the flames reborn this time?

She is likely to take a firmer hand with her children 

In the smoldering red pits of Drogon's eyes, Dany saw her own reflection. How small she looked, how weak and frail and scared. I cannot let him see my fear. She scrabbled in the sand, pushing against the pitmaster's corpse, and her fingers brushed against the handle of his whip. Touching it made her feel braver. The leather was warm, alive. Drogon roared again, the sound so loud that she almost dropped the whip. His teeth snapped at her.

Dany hit him. "No," she screamed, swinging the lash with all the strength that she had in her. The dragon jerked his head back. "No," she screamed again. "NO!" The barbs raked along his snout.Drogon rose, his wings covering her in shadow. Dany swung the lash at his scaled belly, back and forth until her arm began to ache. His long serpentine neck bent like an archer's bow. With a hisssssss, he spat black fire down at her. Dany darted underneath the flames, swinging the whip and shouting, "No, no, no. Get DOWN!" His answering roar was full of fear and fury, full of pain. His wings beat once, twice …

… and folded. The dragon gave one last hiss and stretched out flat upon his belly. Black blood was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped onto the scorched sands. He is fire made flesh, she thought, and so am I.

She will likely finally head towards claiming the iron throne with blood and fire

Hair correlates well with a person's sense of identity - or at least, people who lose their hair have their self belief shaken to the core.  Not only Dany stepping up to dragon queen, but also Cersei's walk of shame, and Arya going from privileged child to fugitive (or indeed to No-one).

People without hair, or who hide or dye their hair, are a bit unknowable.

I don't think it's a problem - hair grows back. But you have to remember who you are.

4 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

A Targayen with no hair is a hidden Targaryen.  Think of Aegon/Egg and possibly Varys.  Regrowth of the hair is symbolic for a Targaryen coming out and claiming their identity and their heritage/birthright.

She went from being a Dothraki back to being a Valyrian during the first hair incident.  The second one is the sign that she is going from Ghiscari back to being Valyrian. 

23 hours ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Dothraki cut their hair when the are defeated

Jhiqui follows Dothraki custom and fastens a bell in Daenerys’s hair to mark her victory over the Undying. Daenerys tries to tell her that she has won no victories but Jhiqui disagrees, telling Dany that she burned the maegi in their house of dust and sent their souls to hell. Daenerys decides to hold her tongue thinking that the Dothraki will esteem her all the more for a few bells in her hair

Now what does this mean for the 2 occasions she has lost her hair? And do they tie in with the slayer prophecy?

I'm not quite sure how you're relating the hair to the prophecy, but there is not a strict dichotomy between having hair=triumph vs. losing hair=defeat.  The implication seems to be that one has to shed ones skin or hair in order to acquire a new, improved, tougher skin or more potent head of hair!

For example, after the funeral pyre during which Dany's 'molten silver' hair is burned off, her scalp blackened; she then is seen regularly parading in the hrakkar = white lion pelt which hugs her torso, face and head like the mane of an alpha-male lion, signalling her new place at the head of the 'pride' of Dothraki.  'Hrakkar' in Dothraki, besides meaning 'white lion,' means lightning strike or sword, indicating Dany's newfound power status.

10 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Hair correlates well with a person's sense of identity - or at least, people who lose their hair have their self belief shaken to the core.  Not only Dany stepping up to dragon queen, but also Cersei's walk of shame, and Arya going from privileged child to fugitive (or indeed to No-one).

People without hair, or who hide or dye their hair, are a bit unknowable.

I don't think it's a problem - hair grows back. But you have to remember who you are.

Dying ones hair is a tricky one to unpack.  It's useful to think of the legendary Lann who stole the fire of the gods in order to brighten his hair.  Dying ones hair is a vain attempt to challenge the authority of the gods, reverse time (by preventing nature from taking its course and keeping the hair unnaturally, statically youthful), and capture immortality for oneself.  Thus, the paradoxical symbolism arises that by 'dying' (ones hair) one hopes to become 'undying'!

4 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

A Targayen with no hair is a hidden Targaryen.  Think of Aegon/Egg and possibly Varys.  Regrowth of the hair is symbolic for a Targaryen coming out and claiming their identity and their heritage/birthright.

I like this.  Fancy that you should mention Egg(s) -- since a  bald head (which Dany also sports after the 'alchemical wedding' of her funeral pyre) is reminiscent of an unhatched egg.  The subsequent regrowth of hair sprouting forth can be understood as the hatching of an egg.  In addition, the halo or lion's mane of bright Targaryen hair (silver, gold, platinum, white) can be thought of as an aureole of light around a celestial body, so we have the connection to fire as well.  The hatching of 'fire made flesh' or rekindling of fire (the 'spark' or 'ember' among the ashes 'igniting a blaze') is about 'waking a dragon from stone.'

• 3 weeks later...

:)

On 5/21/2017 at 3:34 PM, ravenous reader said:

I'm not quite sure how you're relating the hair to the prophecy, but there is not a strict dichotomy between having hair=triumph vs. losing hair=defeat.  The implication seems to be that one has to shed ones skin or hair in order to acquire a new, improved, tougher skin or more potent head of hair!

For example, after the funeral pyre during which Dany's 'molten silver' hair is burned off, her scalp blackened; she then is seen regularly parading in the hrakkar = white lion pelt which hugs her torso, face and head like the mane of an alpha-male lion, signalling her new place at the head of the 'pride' of Dothraki.  'Hrakkar' in Dothraki, besides meaning 'white lion,' means lightning strike or sword, indicating Dany's newfound power status.

Dying ones hair is a tricky one to unpack.  It's useful to think of the legendary Lann who stole the fire of the gods in order to brighten his hair.  Dying ones hair is a vain attempt to challenge the authority of the gods, reverse time (by preventing nature from taking its course and keeping the hair unnaturally, statically youthful), and capture immortality for oneself.  Thus, the paradoxical symbolism arises that by 'dying' (ones hair) one hopes to become 'undying'!

I like this.  Fancy that you should mention Egg(s) -- since a  bald head (which Dany also sports after the 'alchemical wedding' of her funeral pyre) is reminiscent of an unhatched egg.  The subsequent regrowth of hair sprouting forth can be understood as the hatching of an egg.  In addition, the halo or lion's mane of bright Targaryen hair (silver, gold, platinum, white) can be thought of as an aureole of light around a celestial body, so we have the connection to fire as well.  The hatching of 'fire made flesh' or rekindling of fire (the 'spark' or 'ember' among the ashes 'igniting a blaze') is about 'waking a dragon from stone.'

You're ideas are deeper than mine.  George is very deep and there is a lot of symbolism between and in those lines of text. 

Archived