Am I the only one ...., v. 3

Count Balerion

No.  You're not alone.  First there was one.  Then there were two.  Now there are many.  Many people look at the thick books and remember what joy they had on first reading them.  Then they start to think about re-reading them and they remember the buzz-kill at the end with no more to read.  The publishing of WoW is just the world's greatest troll.  Some think they can re-read and just skip over the Iron Bore and the Dorne scenes.  Skipping PoVs and some intros does not count as a re-read.  There is a promise of Dorkstar if you do re-read and a Myrish swamp too. 

AITOOAHW thinks I Dream of Jeanie would be a better show if Maj Healey had found that bottle?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no, certainly not.

The whole whispering thing is one of the werder Holywood conventions. It seems to come up when there isn't really any reason to whisper. That, and the close-ups.

Am I ... who wishes GRRM had serialised the books the way people did in the 19th century? While Dickens was writing his novels you could expect a new chapter every ... well, however often the periodical it was published in came out. We could be reading WOW already, even without its being finished. Of course, we'd have to subscribe to whatever periodical it appeared in; but then, periodicals probably only cost a few pennies in those days.

You're not alone but you're in the minority.  I suspect GRRM circles back to reduce repetitions and more tightly link cause and effect.  So when he writes the last chapter, I think he must revisit the previous chapters to ensure continuity.  But if the end product were the same, I'd be right there with you.

AITOOH who thinks the fate of the previous fortresses in the storm lands smacks of the swamp castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail?

Probably not but it hadn't crossed my mind. 

Am I... finds Bran's chapters painfully hard to read? I sometimes get really interested in his story line & decide to read back through his chapters to look for clues or foreshadowing of what's to come but as soon as I start I remember how boring I find them. I just can't do it. 

I haven't reread them in a while. I do tend to find some of the travelling chapters a bit dull, and a lot of Bran's chapters seemed to be mostly people wandering north. I did like the stories, though; and Martin's winter landscapes are among his better ones.

Am I ... thinks the Ghiscari names are kind of cool? All the mo's and zo's and whatnot. Although Harzoo is my favourite.

After careful calculations, you are indeed the only one who thinks they are 'cool'.  The majority of responders described the names as 'exotic'.  Except for the one person from Kalamazoo who thought the names sounded 'homey', yours was the only singular response.

AITOOH who thinks Robert Baratheon would have made a good Ghost of Christmas Present?

3 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Had not considered it. He is jolly, rotund, and has a fabulous beard. I would have to agree.

AITOOAH who thinks Lady Stoneheart would have made a good Ghost of Christmas Future?

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it she is absolutely perfect.

AITOOAHW can't think of a good character to be the Ghost of Christmas Past? 

No, you're not alone in that. And that's kind of the point really. She's not herself, just like Thoros said. And Jon won't have that issue because he can warg into Ghost, thus keeping his consciousness intact when he goes back to being alive.

AITOOAHW really dislikes the Aeron Greyjoy chapters but still wants to see the Damphair take Euron down?

Oh no; I like it (and I think would dislike the Damphair less if his hadn't been the first chapter in FFC. Heck, I'd like FFC better if Damp weren't the first chapter. Draw us in with someone we know and care about.) but it's not at the top of my list by any means.

Am I ... who despite rarely re-reading the whole book, has dipped into DWD more than any other book of the series? This might be partly because it's the last, but not entirely. It just has my favourite parts of the story.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:23 PM, Count Balerion said:

Oh no; I like it (and I think would dislike the Damphair less if his hadn't been the first chapter in FFC. Heck, I'd like FFC better if Damp weren't the first chapter. Draw us in with someone we know and care about.) but it's not at the top of my list by any means.

Am I ... who despite rarely re-reading the whole book, has dipped into DWD more than any other book of the series? This might be partly because it's the last, but not entirely. It just has my favourite parts of the story.

Nope, I think I probably dip into that one the most as well. 

Am I... Who has a strong dislike, bordering hatred, for Sweet Robin? I really wish someone would spank the shit out of that kid. 

It is a verifiable fact that you are not alone. Robin Arryn has no redeeming qualities to his character. He is the epitome of a spoiled, rotten, rich kid. There definitely needed to be more discipline in that kid's life.

AITOOAH who swears they read some detail about something in the books (e.g. gold production from the Lannister mines) only to go back and find there is no actual reference (or at least, not where you were looking)?

Archived