Am I the only one ...., v. 3

Count Balerion

1 hour ago, divica said:

If it isn t realeased or "announced" in 2018 then we will have to wait until 2020... By that time you will have watched the show and seen how things end. We will naturally lose interest and many of us will probably die before ADoS is released...

You won't have seen how it ends, since the show at this point practically has nothing to do with the books, and it's even theoretically impossible to have the same ending. Even if there is some similarly (like who, if anyone, ends up on the IT), you can be sure the context will be completely different. And if all you want from the series is plot points you could read on Wikipedia...well, why are you even reading the series?

To answer the question by @Lady Blizzardborn - yeah, you probably are the only one here baking cookies. I don't bother with it, juat buy bisquits etc.

AITOIAH  who is OK for waiting for TWOW - because there are other things in life to do (and it will give me time to reread the books)?

10 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

You won't have seen how it ends, since the show at this point practically has nothing to do with the books, and it's even theoretically impossible to have the same ending. Even if there is some similarly (like who, if anyone, ends up on the IT), you can be sure the context will be completely different. And if all you want from the series is plot points you could read on Wikipedia...well, why are you even reading the series?

To answer the question by @Lady Blizzardborn - yeah, you probably are the only one here baking cookies. I don't bother with it, juat buy bisquits etc.

AITOIAH  who is OK for waiting for TWOW - because there are other things in life to do (and it will give me time to reread the books)?

There wil be a lot of similarities and hopefully we will get the answer to several misteries of the books (although far too few for my taste). However if we get TWoW and the end of the show in a near future it will have to be enough for 5 to 10 years... I rather live 10 years thinking I know a lot of things about asoiaf than agonizing every year about what will happen next in the books.

And yes, YOU are the only one ok with waiting! 

On 12/24/2017 at 2:48 AM, divica said:

There wil be a lot of similarities and hopefully we will get the answer to several misteries of the books (although far too few for my taste). However if we get TWoW and the end of the show in a near future it will have to be enough for 5 to 10 years... I rather live 10 years thinking I know a lot of things about asoiaf than agonizing every year about what will happen next in the books.

And yes, YOU are the only one ok with waiting! 

You're supposed to ask the next question.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure you aren’t. I don’t usually end up eating a proper meal after 9pm, but I do sometimes reach for chocolate after 11pm. 

Am I the only one around here who feels like she completely lost touch with Asoiaf/Got, especially that there isn’t a new season to look forward to this year? 

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I’m sure you aren’t. I don’t usually end up eating a proper meal after 9pm, but I do sometimes reach for chocolate after 11pm. 

Am I the only one around here who feels like she completely lost touch with Asoiaf/Got, especially that there isn’t a new season to look forward to this year? 

No you're not. I just recently watched a few episodes, HBO ran a marathon, and it got me back into it.

Am I.....who thinks the show is still as good as ever, but is still ready for this story to end?

Most probably you aren’t. I think the show is a Hollywood fairy tale at this point and I can’t wait for it to the end. Or maybe I can. I have given up on hope that HBO can pull this off. 

Am am I the only one around here who missed out on the ice and fire cookbook and is sort of sorry about that? 

I missed out on it too, but can't say I'm sorry, since I barely cook, to speak of.

Am I ... who oddly finds parts of DWD to be among the best things in the series? I can't say all of it, because there are bits near the beginning that drag (Tyrion in boats, I think someone said).

I don’t know :eek: I’m sure there are a small number of other people somewhere in the world who feel the same way, but I have to say I found adwd painfully boring. 

Am I the only one around here who sometimes pretends to forget character names or plot points when talking to show-only fans? It feels so stupid to have a conversation with someone and constantly remind them that they are wrong about literally everything they say and probably watched the episodes with earplugs and a blindfold to sound so clueless about the story. Of course pretending to be clueless about the story feels almost equally stupid. 

I expect there are some, I am not one of them however. Kind of makes hanging out on the forum pointless, to me at least.

AITOOAHW thinks it would be pointless to hangout on this forum if there were no more books and we had no real conclusion to the story?

Yeah? Or I don’t know, I visit Gen GoT once a year when there’s a new season, otherwise I’m only hanging out in Forum Games and maybe Entertainment because I got stuck here. 

Am I the only one who thinks the Forum won’t stop discussing R+L for the next 20 years even if the books never come out? 

4 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah? Or I don’t know, I visit Gen GoT once a year when there’s a new season, otherwise I’m only hanging out in Forum Games and maybe Entertainment because I got stuck here. 

Me too, but it's because I actually like it the best here. I also like the reread threads, but they got severely wrecked when so many posts disappeared. And I like the Rant and Rave threads, but now I can get the same thing from Fandomentals articles and podcasts, tumblr posts of gotgifsandmusings, turtle-paced and others, Black Goat of Kohor's or The Dragon Demands Youtube videos, Twitter profiles such as Disown the Throne, etc. The book snob rants and GoT-trashing have proudly spread and flourished far beyond the Rant and Rave threads. :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who thinks the Forum won’t stop discussing R+L for the next 20 years even if the books never come out?

You aren't. Actually, I think that, if the rest of the books never came out, that would, if anything, ensure that the forum would go on forever, with people coming up with new and crazier crackpot theories all the time a and repeating old ones (as there would be nothing to prove them wrong), people speculating what would have happened, people writing their own endings and arguing whose is better, people arguing over how different or similar the show's ending was to the books, polls about who should be tasked with finishing the series, etc.

AITOOAH who makes lists of all films, TV shows, books I've seen/read during a year and whether I liked them or not? (I started that a few years ago due to a couple of other forums with threads where people were doing that... I'm also now ranking my TV show seasons I've seen because of the "Rank Your TV Shows throughout the year" thread in the Entertainment section.)

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

AITOOAH who makes lists of all films, TV shows, books I've seen/read during a year and whether I liked them or not? (I started that a few years ago due to a couple of other forums with threads where people were doing that... I'm also now ranking my TV show seasons I've seen because of the "Rank Your TV Shows throughout the year" thread in the Entertainment section.)

Nope. I know lots of people who do that. I only do it for books, partly because I'm a bookblogger and post reviews (not for everybook I've read) and monthly overviews anyway. And I use Goodreads for listing the books I read during a year. 

Am I the only one around where who used to love the General ASOIAF section of this board, but barely visits at anymore? I think theories have become complete crackpottery and the other discussions a variants of things that have been discussed 20 times before. R+L=J, was it okay for the NW to kill Jon, how will the books end, how would your small council look like, etc. 

No. I relatively rarely check the book threads, because there are no new books. Although I do still glance from time to time.

Am I the only one who doesn't think GRRM's critique that Tolkien neglected "Aragorn's tax policy" is very apt? The point is reasonable (Tolkien is not so big on social and economic issues, and in that sense is less realistic); but Aragorn ... well, that's essentially epiloguy material. The novel is really done at that point. So not the best example.

10 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

No. I relatively rarely check the book threads, because there are no new books. Although I do still glance from time to time.

Am I the only one who doesn't think GRRM's critique that Tolkien neglected "Aragorn's tax policy" is very apt? The point is reasonable (Tolkien is not so big on social and economic issues, and in that sense is less realistic); but Aragorn ... well, that's essentially epiloguy material. The novel is really done at that point. So not the best example.

No, I’m sure you aren’t. I personally agree and not agree with you. I get that Lotr is not about societal, economic and political issues, so it’s profoundly obvious that Tolkien wouldn’t write about it. Tolkien is about roughly the opposite of what Grrm is about. Lotr is black and white and revolves around the fight between good and evil with lots of religious background. Everything (or almost) is grey with grrm and Asoiaf revolves around politics, economics, society and human relationships. While I understand that, I really really really miss these aspects from Lotr as I find it far more interesting than the high fantasy context, and I would give an arm and leg to read about Aragorn’s tax policy and HOW he reunited Gondor and Arnor, WHAT he fought over in the plains of Harad and why and HOW did he even make the people of Gondor accept him. Basically, the interesting part would come after the ring ordeal is done and they get back to real, everyday life. That’s the 14 year old aragorn fangirl corner of my heart. Oh well. 

Am I the only one who is overly excited and absolutely terrified of the idea of the potential Lotr reboot with Amazon? 

I did not even know until you brought up the Amazon LOTR, but I cannot help but be a bit terrified. Maybe less so than I would be due to the popularity of Game of Thrones these days. There will not be such a huge uptick in Medieval Club memberships this time around.

Am I... who thinks that Lem Lemoncloak is just a guy named Lem, with no secret identity?

I'd never even heard otherwise. I suppose there's a theory for everyone. Small Paul is really Rhaegar in a clever disguise. He never really died; that was just a decoy. It follows that Ygritte is his natural daughter. Ugh, that means Jon + Ygritte was more incest.

Am I .... who sometimes finds there's a bit more sex in ASOIAF than I need? Although at least it doesn't make out that bordelli are these wonderful places where anyone would love to work, as the show sometimes seems to.

Archived