What if joffrey never killed ned stark

snow is the man

1 hour ago, Graydon Hicks said:

i just hate him cause he seems to be betraying everyone at the drop of a hat, then killing the inconvenient. and he has pedophile face.

I think there is a reason to most of those betrayals. Not just for the lulz.

AG does have a very punchable face and mustache. I agree on that one.

1 hour ago, Graydon Hicks said:

i guess we are first introduce to the starks, and they set the bar by which we, the readers, measure the other nobles.

Certainly true. Starks are too good for the sinful Westeros. Reason most of them are dead or in exile.

5 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

My theory? Varys has him killed. He can't risk Ned telling Robb or Cat or Edmure or Yohn Royce or whoever about the twincest because that would kickstart the war Varys is trying desperately to stall. 

I actually think Varys/Illyrio might have hired Jaqen to make sure Ned suffered an "accident" on his way to the Wall, but of course Joff screwed all that plan and poor Jaqen found himself chained with some criminals and without his target. 

Yes and no. Yes Varys can't let him get out because as you said he will spread the incest story. No I think he was going to send him to Essos like he does with Barristan and later Tyrion. Could have been either but I think it fits MO.

I can see Robb likely looking to make a few hostage exchanges. After this though Ned eventually comes North and tells Robb the secret and at this point Stannis would have sent his letters and so Ned tells Robb to declare for Stannis. However it seems as though Littlefinger was the one who convinced Joffrey to kill Ned and this is confirmed by the fact that their is no mention of Littlefinger protesting (I don't know it has been a long time since I read that part of A Game of Thrones), and one of Littlefinger's agents held down Ned and the man who beheaded him is of uncertain loyalties. Ned very well could've send a raven to Stannis when they stop at a castle and Ned could sign Stannis's letter as well and explain his treason. And Stannis would have the North and the Riverlands and a few Florents, the Celtigars, the Bar Emmons and the Velaryons. Stannis would never go to Storm's End and hewould have all the necessary men to take out King's Landing.

Archived