Sense8: why...so...sensitive (spoilers)

Kalbear

Does anyone think all the delays and problems of season 2 had anything to do with this? Its really such a terrible way to end, especially with the way season 2 left off. I wish they would have given them 1 last season, or at least a half season, to wrap things up.

2 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

Does anyone think all the delays and problems of season 2 had anything to do with this? Its really such a terrible way to end, especially with the way season 2 left off. I wish they would have given them 1 last season, or at least a half season, to wrap things up.

I'm sure it didn't help. Besides those really interested in the show, I suspect a lot of people just lost interest or felt it wasn't worth seeking out immediately. It's only been a month since it was released so many may have thought "no rush, there's only a season every 1.5 years".

It might also add to production costs as initial contracts might be drawn up for annual use and the delay may have required renegotiating.

It sounds like fans across the world are disappointed which I'm sure helps given NEtflix are interested in international markets.

I also agree with those saying this is time sensitive. People tend to quickly lose interest in these issues so if something isn't achieved within in a week the support will die down

I have no idea whether this means anything, but it surely suggests that this decision has repercussions. Also, the online petition on change.org has reached 380 000 signatures. American media are discussing the LGBT/inclusive topics are being sidelined, so one may wonder what Netflix's answer may be.

I'm in two minds on that, I saw a *lot* of backlash against last season of OITNB (its why I still havent watched it - I eventually was spoiled on some of it and it pissed me off enough I'm not sure I'll pick it back up). Now a lot of that may be the kind of anger that still leads to it being watched, but if that trend continues are they happy with it being talked about if that talk is pillorying it?

Disappointed with the cancellation. But with the high production costs the show kinda needed to be a mainstream hit rather than a genre favourite. So I was disappointed but not surprised. I think Netflix pretty much rides out the flack by saying nothing. TV audiences eventually lose attention and move on to the next series.

Timing-wise they probably could have waited another month or two before announcing cancellation, which could have then included some BS about trying hard to find a way to make it financially viable.

Personally, if I was Netflix I would say, OK folks, money where your mouth is. Our estimates put the budget shortfall as $X million. We're starting a kickstarter page and if the total get to that mark we'll make season 3 and finish the story, or at least finish the Whispers story-line, and no cliffhangers. Indeed I think more TV producers should do that with shows that are immensely popular with a niche audience that are cancelled with major story-lines left hanging. Let the market decide if its worth the investment.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Personally, if I was Netflix I would say, OK folks, money where your mouth is. Our estimates put the budget shortfall as $X million. We're starting a kickstarter page and if the total get to that mark we'll make season 3 and finish the story, or at least finish the Whispers story-line, and no cliffhangers. Indeed I think more TV producers should do that with shows that are immensely popular with a niche audience that are cancelled with major story-lines left hanging. Let the market decide if its worth the investment.

That's a great and terrifying idea of equal measures. The great aspect is it does assess how strongly fans feel about it - like many things on the internet the outrage beomes muted when it requires backing by hard cash. I think I'd be willing to pay the price of an old fashioned box set for a season. I'd even be cool with people who didn't chip in getting to see the show at the same time as me. Do netflix do blu-ray releases?

The terrifying aspect is that it would set a worrying precedent for Netflix in that if it worked they could start doing this for all of their shows. They'd get away with doing it with "on the bubble" shows but considering we don't know how many people watch any of their shows it would require a lot of trust. Then they can start moving the goal-posts.

If we assume continuation decision criteria haven't changed then either viewership has decreased and/or productions costs increased. Wert has suggested that JMS wasn't as involved in production and is better at controlling a budget. I can see how the Wachowskis might tend to go over budget with their film making CV. One thing I hope they aren't being punished over is the refilming that had to occur due to the recasting of Capheus. Hopefully he left while they were still filming in location one (the show doesn't film episodes but location arcs AFAIK). But that still means they'd have to go back and refilm.

I get the impression that Netflix have made it harder to be deemed a success and that viewership is substantially down (although i still think the nature of netflix means viewership decisions should be made over months not weeks). Otherwise I think the producers could have negotiated making the show on a tighter budget. But there has to be a point with this show where if it noticeably looks cheaper then the producers retain the right to say "We'd rather not make it than make it badly"

It seems redudant but this could be a "vinyl collection" type of thing. Stick season 1 and 2 out for fans to buy to bump up profitability of the show? Is there any official merchandise? I realise it's not really something that is instantly obvious for merch but surely T-shirts/mugs etc are still possible. These are the kinds of things that make genre shows worthwhile - I'm sure GOT makes as much (possibly more) off Blu-ray and merchandise sales.

Indeed, it is easy to abuse the good will of supporters with kickstarter but perhaps the invisible hand of the market would work to kill off the kickstarter option if they took it too far. People have been burned with kickstarter in the past, so I think there is a degree of hesitancy to back something that seems like it doesn't warrant fan backing.

For me, it's all only TV so I don't think I'd ever chip in except perhaps for a documentary on a topic about which I am particularly passionate. But I'd certainly never back anything fictional.

one may wonder what Netflix's answer may be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix commissioned a 2 or 3-hour finale to the series and get a bonus from being shown to have listened to the fans. It could be set just in London, could wrap up the Whispers storyline and end with our heroes celebrating the freedom from the threat posed by the Whispers-led organisation. We know the organisation was "good" once and others in it want to take it back to that approach, so that could be done reasonably well.

It'd be much difficult to wrap up all the individual characters arcs, although arguably only really Sun's was left in a place that needed lots of development and maybe you could fold that in as a subplot. You could end with Caphaeus getting elected, Lito shooting his American film, Nomi getting married, Kala and Wolfgang ending up together etc. It might be a bit of a happy cheesy ending, but I think Sense8 was heading that way anyway.

43 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix commissioned a 2 or 3-hour finale to the series and get a bonus from being shown to have listened to the fans. It could be set just in London, could wrap up the Whispers storyline and end with our heroes celebrating the freedom from the threat posed by the Whispers-led organisation. We know the organisation was "good" once and others in it want to take it back to that approach, so that could be done reasonably well.

It'd be much difficult to wrap up all the individual characters arcs, although arguably only really Sun's was left in a place that needed lots of development and maybe you could fold that in as a subplot. You could end with Caphaeus getting elected, Lito shooting his American film, Nomi getting married, Kala and Wolfgang ending up together etc. It might be a bit of a happy cheesy ending, but I think Sense8 was heading that way anyway.

When you put it like that we probably don't even need a TV wrap up movie! That all makes sense in terms of a quick resolution.

Good point about the story conveniently ending in a situation where they can film in one location.

I'm still hoping JMS will do a comic exploring some of the elements they'd have got around to with more time. Probably won't work as a comic but it'd probably be worth a try - maybe as a series of graphic novels or online like with "the matrix"

On 6/6/2017 at 5:29 PM, Werthead said:

I like it.

... and if all eight were in one city, the expense would be considerably less.... and if they did one, two hour finale... they wouldn;t incur the expense of keeping these actors on retainer 

So, that would be that... Netflix addressed almost 500k petition on change.org

“To our Sense8 family… We’ve seen the petitions. We’ve read the messages. We know you want to #RenewSense8, and we wish we could #BringBackSense8 for you. The reason we’ve taken so long to get back to you is because we’ve thought long and hard here at Netflix to try to make it work but unfortunately we can’t. Thank you for watching and hope you’ll stay close with your cluster around the world. #SensatesForever“

http://sense8.tumblr.com/post/161601416234/to-our-sense8-family

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah when Netflix decided to cancel it's queerest show on the first day of pride month it was clear they didn't give a fuck and wouldn't be changing their minds.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the show being cancelled, but is it really its queerest show? I would think "Orange is the New Black" gets that title.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:10 AM, Risto said:

Don't get me wrong, I hate the show being cancelled, but is it really its queerest show? I would think "Orange is the New Black" gets that title.

Mild spoilers for each show:

Not really, especially when they fell prey to the Bury Your Gays trope with some of the worst possible timing (same television season that saw

W A Y too many gay women characters die). 

in my opinion as a member of the LGBT+ community, Sense8 was more thoughtful and sensitive about the way they portrayed their LGBT+ characters and the issues they ran into. Nothing in OITNB comes close to the triumphs of Lito's scene at the parade and Nomi and Amanita's proposals, and that's just two highlights from the second season. 

No contest.

1 hour ago, Underfoot said:

Mild spoilers for each show:

Reveal hidden contents

Not really, especially when they fell prey to the Bury Your Gays trope with some of the worst possible timing (same television season that saw

W A Y too many gay women characters die). 

in my opinion as a member of the LGBT+ community, Sense8 was more thoughtful and sensitive about the way they portrayed their LGBT+ characters and the issues they ran into. Nothing in OITNB comes close to the triumphs of Lito's scene at the parade and Nomi and Amanita's proposals, and that's just two highlights from the second season. 

No contest.

I get what you mean... Yeah, I guess you're right. Although, some of those differences are caused by the worlds the shows are set in. 

Also, spoilers for OITNB Season 4

Spoiler

I think that the complaint that many female gay characters die is a bit unjustified, given that there is quite a number of gay characters in the show. 

That said, I do believe that Lito's message resonates better.  At least, it resonated better with me. 

Archived