U.S. Politics: Hairpiece In the Middle East Part 2

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Yeah, but its a local Fox affiliate, and not one that's owned and operated by corporate Fox. Plenty, though certainly not all, of those affiliates are perfectly fine local news stations that have zero connection to Fox News Channel.

He's been cited with misdemeanor assault, which is punishable by up to six months in county jail. I thought the incident sounded more like a felony, but apparently under Montana law the victim needs to suffer "serious injury" for felony assault to apply.

And it looks like the local papers are all covering the story; so hopefully it gets through to voters this morning. 

For what it's worth, Foxnews.com is covering this as the main story, their breaking news, and linking to a live broadcast at the moment, so the website is not holding back.

Just now, denstorebog said:

I don't understand what that article adds to what we're already discussing about the Gianforte incident?

My apologies about that. I was focusing a lot on the post about the ACA on the thread and just utterly forgot that incident had been addressed on this thread when I posted the link this morning.

And hadn't noticed the post prior to mine. 

Anyway what a chump Gianforte is.

47 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, but its a local Fox affiliate, and not one that's owned and operated by corporate Fox. Plenty, though certainly not all, of those affiliates are perfectly fine local news stations that have zero connection to Fox News Channel.

This was a team from the national Fox News Channel, not, as early reports suggested, a local Fox affiliate. They were doing an interview for Bret Baier's show.

1 hour ago, Brendan Moody said:

This was a team from the national Fox News Channel, not, as early reports suggested, a local Fox affiliate. They were doing an interview for Bret Baier's show.

Ah, my mistake. Good to know.

Mulvaney testifying before Congress is amazing to watch. I just tuned in, and so far I've seen a red-faced Bernie raging hard against cuts to the safety net, with Mulvaney hardly able to get a word in, followed by Lindsey Graham politely addressing the president (in absentia) and telling him "I appreciate you tried, but fuck off and let the adults work, because you screwed up". Now Whitehouse is asking a series of incredulous questions about how on earth they got to the 3% growth rate.

This is amazing. It's basically Trump's proxy having his and the administration's competence being ridiculed by both parties on live TV.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I've got to admit, I feel bad for Sean Spicer. He's a devout Catholic, and Trump intentionally left him off of the short list of Administration officials who got to meet the Pope. 

Welcome to the club Spicer: People Screwed over by Trump.

Just now, denstorebog said:

This is amazing. It's basically Trump's proxy having his and the administration's competence being ridiculed by both parties on live TV.

What? What happened to the "best people"?

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Quick Question - is this the start of Gianforte's #2020 campaign?

Isn't that more like an application form for a Trump appointment as Director of the FBI. Finally someone to fight the fake news and mainstream media. If you can't stop the leaks, beat the hell out of the reporters. Though The Guardian is British and not American. Ah never mind, the agencies acting on foreign soil will need a new director in the not so distant future, too.

Today in libertarian garbage clean up:

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/5/18/15655638/charles-murray-race-iq-sam-harris-science-free-speech

Charles Murray, the conservative scholar who co-authored The Bell Curve with the late Richard Herrnstein, was recently denied a platform at Middlebury College. Students shouted him down, and one of his hosts was hurt in a scuffle. But Murray recently gained a much larger audience: an extensive interview with best-selling author Sam Harris on his popular Waking Up podcast. That is hardly a niche forum: Waking Up is the fifth-most-downloaded podcast in iTunes’s Science and Medicine category.

37 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Welcome to the club Spicer: People Screwed over by Trump.

That sort of wanton, warrentless cruelty -- often committed out of purely malicious glee -- is the stuff of which palace coups, revolutions and blood in the night are made.

I foolishly remain astonished that those who demand unquestioning loyalty don't even keep the best interests of their minions to heart.  That's why they are villains? (This is why minions are minions?)

39 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

That was a really good podcast. Murray has really been unfairly cast as some sort of racist regarding the findings of his book (The Bell Curve). Harris dug pretty deep into the fallacies surrounding the controversy behind Murray and Hernstein's book.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

did you listen to that podcast?

You really should if you haven't. It really is a very good example of the sort of Campus Political Correctness run amok that Harris, Jonathan Haidt and Dave Rubin and the like have been pushing back against over the past few years.  

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

No I didn't. I rarely watch to tv, or the radio, or podcast.

You should. I can't comment on Murray's book, havent read it and I'm never going to be able to read enough to comment on whether what he said is true or not. However the podcast is interesting in that the race part of his book is apparently a tiny element of it that blew up out of all proportion. And its that over reaction that meant that he ended up on that podcast, the main message being the shutting down of free speech for people you don't agree with.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

No I didn't. I rarely watch to tv, or the radio, or podcast.

And I don't know why that is even relevant.

It's relevant in that you don't seem to understand what it centered on. It wasn't about "taking out libertarian garbage" as your initial post suggested. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's relevant in that you don't seem to understand what it centered on. It wasn't about "taking out libertarian garbage" as your initial post suggested. 

The Vox article certainly was.

Archived