U.S. Politics: Hairpiece In the Middle East Part 2

19 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I agree.  I get so uncomfortable with all the internet talk about Melania being a damsel in distress who needs to be saved.  That along with the slut shaming is some serious anti-feminist bullshit.

No, the damsel in distress isn't really working, she opted for a life as Trophy Wife out of her own free will. You can point out (and rightly so) that the Trophy Wife concept isn't exactly a feminist ideal, but how else would you describe that relationship? I mean even President Orange Dipshit doesn't bother to correct that image of her. Anyway, low hanging fruit, doesn't say or do much in public (we are again in the stereotypical Trophy Wife territory), so hardly worth any of the internet abuse.

2 hours ago, The Wedge said:

Wasn't he the one claiming that anyone asking for immunity is guilty as hell?

And he was the one leading the RNC nitwits in the Lock Her Up! chants, right?

Irony is a stone cold b*tch.

Yup, and it looks like he's been caught red handed. That's why he won't talk:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/flynn-invoke-5th-amendment-rights-response-senate-probe-n763026

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ivanka has been getting hammered of late. Her book got scathing reviews, her little panel interview in Germany was ridiculed, and the nepotism surrounding her position in Trump's administration has been widely covered. Most if not all her Liberal/Progressive bona fides have been questioned and stripped away. She escapes the slut-shaming bit, but I suspect that's because she hasn't posed nude.

But that's what I mean.  Ivanka is treated as a woman with her own agency.  Her choices are hers and as such she's criticized on her own (lack of?) merits.  She's not treated as someone who is a damsel trying to escape.  Meanwhile, Melania has hitched herself to the Trump brand, is continuing to profit off it, has made decisions that costs the nation millions, has chosen an untraditional First Lady role and still the public paints her as a helpless woman.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But that's what I mean.  Ivanka is treated as a woman with her own agency.  Her choices are hers and as such she's criticized on her own (lack of?) merits.  She's not treated as someone who is a damsel trying to escape.  Meanwhile, Melania has hitched herself to the Trump brand, is continuing to profit off it, has made decisions that costs the nation millions, has chosen an untraditional First Lady role and still the public paints her as a helpless woman.  

Yeah, I get your point, but I do think Ivanka is seen as having her own agency for a reason. She has her own fortune and business at this point, as well as being married to a very rich man. She could ostensibly distance herself from her father and still be quite affluent. I'm not sure if the same could be said for Melania. Not that I see her as being helpless, but I can imagine that Trump would at least try to screw her over as far as custody and settlement and the like if she chose to walk away from him. 

All that said, you're right about the damsel in distress stuff. She chose to marry him and she can certainly choose to divorce him.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I get your point, but I do think Ivanka is seen as having her own agency for a reason. She has her own fortune and business at this point, as well as being married to a very rich man. She could ostensibly distance herself from her father and still be quite affluent. I'm not sure if the same could be said for Melania. Not that I see her as being helpless, but I can imagine that Trump would at least try to screw her over as far as custody and settlement and the like if she chose to walk away from him. 

All that said, you're right about the damsel in distress stuff. She chose to marry him and she can certainly choose to divorce him.

Melania has had her own successful modeling career.  She is also a pretty successful businesswoman with multiple different brands and products and she's gone to court to protect being able to cash in further on these things off the backs of the presidency.  You can argue she'd not have this without Trump, but the same is true of Ivanka.   I mean, Trump wouldn't have what he has if it weren't for having his own wealthy daddy.  Perhaps Trump could try to screw her over with custody, but that's probably a given when you marry him.  Plus, she has her own money to fight him in court.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Melania has had her own successful modeling career.  She is also a pretty successful businesswoman with multiple different brands and products and she's gone to court to protect being able to cash in further on these things off the backs of the presidency.  You can argue she'd not have this without Trump, but the same is true of Ivanka.   I mean, Trump wouldn't have what he has if it weren't for having his own wealthy daddy.  Perhaps Trump could try to screw her over with custody, but that's probably a given when you marry him.  Plus, she has her own money to fight him in court.

Yeah, it's hard to paint any of these characters as being sympathetic. The 11 year-old son, maybe?  

1 hour ago, Notone said:

No, the damsel in distress isn't really working, she opted for a life as Trophy Wife out of her own free will. You can point out (and rightly so) that the Trophy Wife concept isn't exactly a feminist ideal, but how else would you describe that relationship? I mean even President Orange Dipshit doesn't bother to correct that image of her. Anyway, low hanging fruit, doesn't say or do much in public (we are again in the stereotypical Trophy Wife territory), so hardly worth any of the internet abuse.

So you're response to suggestion of Melanis being portrayed in non feminist ways is to basically call her a gold digger?

Nice.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He ain't sayin' she's a gold-digger, but she ain't messin' wit no broke figures. 

In fairness, i think there are several definitions of 'broke' under which you could make a strong argument that that's exactly what she's doing... :)

According to the Washington Post, Trump asked two intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials.

Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.

-----------

“The White House does not confirm or deny unsubstantiated claims based on illegal leaks from anonymous individuals,” a White House spokesperson said. “The president will continue to focus on his agenda that he was elected to pursue by the American people.

Meanwhile, Ossoff is now leading Handel 51-44 in the latest SurveyUSA poll. This is looking decent and could have quite the psychological effect on lawmakers on both side of the aisle. The White House and the Republican party really threw everything they had at this one. Here's hoping.

Archived