What was your favourite book as a child?

Castellan

Just name the first that comes to mind. 

The first that came to my mind was Carbonel the Witches Cat. A Penguin Puffin (for children) it was the first paperback book I read, graduating from big format books. Key scenes took place on the rooftops of London and the protagonist also got to fly around on a slightly clapped out witches broom as she helped Carbonel regain his place as ruler of the cats.

What was yours?

The Secret of Terror Castle by Robert Arthur, Jr. - The first of the Three Investigators books.

It was scary and exciting and set in an exotic locale (California!) and had three interesting characters who formed a cool club and solved tremendous mysteries.  Also, who can resist the free use of a gold-plated Rolls Royce chauffeured by the stalwart Worthington?

The first book I remember loving was Where the Wild Things Are. There were many loves after that -- The Hobbit, Oz, Narnia, etc., but that was the very first one; the one that started my love for the written word.

Where the Wild Things Are, just like Jiriki. The Where's Waldo? books, if those count. Once I abandoned pictures, I loved the Wayside School series by Louis Sachar, anything Encyclopedia Brown, old Hardy Boys books, A Wrinkle In Time, and of course The Hobbit and LOTR.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Where the Wild Things Are, just like Jiriki.

Oh yeah. I remember being three or four years old, and still being on the fence about whether monsters really exist. The chicken monster in WTWTA looked pretty convincing to me. But I did love the idea of sailing to an island with monsters on it.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

anything Encyclopedia Brown, old Hardy Boys books, A Wrinkle In Time, and of course The Hobbit and LOTR.

This was exactly my childhood, too. Every single one of those. But I'd also add Oz, Narnia, Xanth, natural history books about dinosaurs and planets, and then, the ultimate, The Dragonbone Chair (when I was 14).

Yep, Jiriki, we grew up similarly, certainly. I wanted to be a paleontologist until I got to Junior High and realized I didn't like biology, only dinosaurs. I nearly put Dinotopia in the list, but I was 11 when it came out, and already fully snobbishly into novels, so I always insisted it was merely my brother's book, despite my often pouring over it when I could.

I enjoyed The Westing House enough that after a rigorous search for its title a few years ago (I could only remember bits about the cardinal directions for names, and that it was in a mansion), I tracked it down and gleefully re-read it 25 years later.

I also remember that my grade school had a copy of Leon Uris' The Haj. It was the biggest book in the fiction area, so I remember paging through it as maybe a fourth grader, and finding a sex scene. I instantly became super popular as the purveyor of carnal knowledge to the other boys. I wouldnt let them fold or bookmark the page, as I was paranoid we'd be discovered by pesky librarians. We never were. Thanks, Mr. Uris!

21 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I also remember that my grade school had a copy of Leon Uris' The Haj. It was the biggest book in the fiction area, so I remember paging through it as maybe a fourth grader, and finding a sex scene. I instantly became super popular as the purveyor of carnal knowledge to the other boys. I wouldnt let them fold or bookmark the page, as I was paranoid we'd be discovered by pesky librarians. We never were. Thanks, Mr. Uris!

Haha! What a funny story; thanks for sharing this.

I was two years older than you when I discovered Queenmagic, Kingmagic at the local library. That was my first encounter with a sex scene in a book. I, too, was afraid the librarians would discover me reading it.

I also remember being absolutely shocked by the "period scene" in Tamora Pierce's first Alanna book.

yeah, gotta repeat the hobbit/lotr... the one thing i can remember my father reading to my brother and i as kids, and actually the book i started to learn to read on. aside from that, the redwall books, and king's the wastelands, which was the first book i read more than once

Bambi by Felix Slaten was and still is a favorite as is Black Beauty by Anna Sewell and The King of the WInd by Marguerite Henry.

Loved them all, still do.   :read:

I loved, loved, loved the How, Why and Wonder book series as a kid. Specifically the dinosaurs and ocean books. The deep sea fish fascinated me and freaked me out in equal measure. Going for a more traditional book, I'd say the Velveteen Rabbit. When I was older, it was the Chronicles of Prydain.

Archived