What was your favourite book as a child?

Castellan

Adam Bahdaj: Warning! A black umbrella.

Pretty sure it was never translated into English, but it is a detective story similar to Blyton's Five series in that children play detectives and so on. It takes place in Warszaw of the 50s or 60s, I think.

After that, Harry Potter.

Some of my memories are clouded by viewing the films adapted from certain books I read: Charlotte's Web, Bridge to Terabithia, The Wind in the Willows and others. One of my grade school teachers would read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe to us. I remember loving that story. I also really liked Where the Wild Things Are and the Frog and Toad stories. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn became my favorite once I read it in junior high.

15 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn became my favorite once I read it in junior high.

I loved that one, too, and Tom Sawyer. My aunt bought me really nice bound editions when I was around 12 years old, and I still have them.

Overall, I think I read too many and too quickly to name particular favorites. With about 7 probably Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking and Ende's Jim and Luke the engine driver. The first "serious" book I read was Treasure Island, with 8 or 9 (a little too early, I think, but I loved it). But at 8 I also completely fell for Enid Blyton's and similar kinds of "child detectives" and loved them for years. Again, there were usually too many of them to name particular favorites. I also liked Tom Sawyer but could not really get into Huckleberry Finn (I might have been too young when I first tried it, was disappointed that it was not really a sequel to Tom Sawyer).

Another huge favorite around 11 and most likely the first famous "fantasy" book I ever read was The Neverending Story.

The first book a recall loving was Minn of the Mississippi by Holling C. Holling.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:04 PM, maarsen said:

The Wind In The Willows. I skipped right from this type of book to adult books without stopping at the young adult stuff. 

I had a similar jump, from kids stuff right to Stephen King, James Clavell, etc. I've spent the past 10 years or so going back through many of the classics including some YA stuff. I'm also reading some of the YA type stuff with my kids and enjoying it.

"The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I love it so much that I've read it for many times. It worth reading for adults as well. And this book rich with characters and images. When we had writing task at the college for literary analysis similar to this one, I chose this book and easily completed it. There's a lot of details to analyze in the book, to understand what it's about, so that's also good novel to improve your skills and imagination.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.  I lost count of how many times I read that book and as a 10-12 year old, I constantly dreamed about running away to live off the land.  I have my own children now and they all love the book as well.

Watership Down is another one I read and loved and reread.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 1:34 PM, Nails77 said:

Watership Down is another one I read and loved and reread.

Watership Down is the first book that came to mind for me; I think this was one of first real books I ever read (perhaps even the first, though this seems unlikely now).  I certainly saw the film at a much younger age than seems sensible.

I also remember reading A Wizard Of Earthsea (as well as its first two sequels), The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and both the Narnia books and the The Dark Is Rising series.

(I probably also read some children's / young adult stuff that was written in the actual decade I grew up, but it doesn't seem to have made much of an impression if so...)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Now that I'm all grown up, a parent, working and sophisticated, it's Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

As a younger child, the first book I can remember loving is The Lorax by Dr Suess. Fun fact: his name is pronounced "Zoyce," and he often joked that nobody said it correctly.

The very first book I remember reading was The Three Little Pigs when I was 5.  Read it over and over.  So I guess that was my first favorite.

Then it was Sleeping Beaauty, Peanuts (yes, we had a whole series of books) and Where the Wild Things Are, then to Little House on the Prairie, Daniel Boone, Helen Keller and The Witch of Blackbird Pond.  Little House was my all time favorite.  I used to read by my night light until my mom came in and told me in no uncertain terms to go. to. sleep!

As an adult, it's a toss up between Rise to Rebellion, Pride and Predjudice and Harry Potter (I love the characters in HP.  They are like friends.)  But The Wheel of Time and ASOIAF series (thus far) are only a notch below.  The others that really stand out are Killer Angels, Ivanhoe, The Count of Monte Cristo, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Lion of Ireland, Robin Cook medical thrillers and Guy Gavriel Kay's historical fantasy.  Books are like music for me.  I like such a variety that it really is hard to single out a favorite.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:58 PM, AdoraKitty said:

The Chronicles Of Narnia. The amount of wardrobes I climbed into as a child is unreal. 

LOL that's too funny!  I actually didn't read that until I was an adult, but one of my teachers read it to us.

On 5/31/2017 at 6:11 AM, dontompson said:
"The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I love it so much that I've read it for many times. It worth reading for adults as well. And this book rich with characters and images. When we had writing task at the college for literary analysis similar to this one, I chose this book and easily completed it. There's a lot of details to analyze in the book, to understand what it's about, so that's also good novel to improve your skills and imagination.

I had to read that one for French class (Le Petit Prince).  Although I was a very good French student, I was still more absorbed in the translation than actually reading the story.  :(

Archived