What was your favourite book as a child?

Castellan

On 5/30/2017 at 8:46 AM, Jo498 said:

Overall, I think I read too many and too quickly to name particular favorites. With about 7 probably Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking .

Wow, I forgot all about Pippi Longstocking!  Read those all the time!

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I loved those books.  I must have read The Great Brain Goes To The Academy a dozen times when I was in Elementary school. :)

Same here, and the Academy one was my favorite of the bunch too. A few months back I went and bought all seven books for my kindle.

Probably "animals of farthing wood" and the "redwall" series. I also used to love Douglas Hill's books (Galactic warlord, blade of the poisoner) and Joe Dever and John Grant's "lone wolf" series.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:34 PM, drawkcabi said:

The Great Brain

This was my favorite series as well.  I have been scrounging the used book store and gotten my hands on a few of them.

Gotta say, some of it has held up and some of it is now laughably bad.  There is a chapter where the family all works together to get a rough tomboy convinced to wear a dress instead of coveralls and generally act more like a girl.

I didn't know they were in ebook format now, I may have to grab them all.

11 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

This was my favorite series as well.  I have been scrounging the used book store and gotten my hands on a few of them.

Gotta say, some of it has held up and some of it is now laughably bad.  There is a chapter where the family all works together to get a rough tomboy convinced to wear a dress instead of coveralls and generally act more like a girl.

I didn't know they were in ebook format now, I may have to grab them all.

My son is reading The Great Brain now.  We found a copy in the "Friends of the Library" used book room at our local library.  

Carcajou, the Wolverine

From what I remember a trapper and his pet bear hunt and are hunted by a trap-robbing wolverine.

Redwall Series - read them all about a dozen times

The Giver

The Kingdom Series -Cynthia Voight

Wings of a Falcon was my fave but Jackaroo and On Fortunes Wheel were also spectacular.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, larrytheimp said:

Redwall Series - read them all about a dozen times

Yes! I loved that series as a kid. Read it numerous times when I was a lad, then kinda forgot it existed. It wasn't until very recently that I realized that Redwall was actually my first foray into the Fantasy genre. Thank you Brian Jacques!

The first book I can remember enjoying as a kid was Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.

Later I got into Narnia, Tolkien, and (embarrassingly) John Norman's Gor books, but only the first 3 or 4.  The more they began to be about BDSM, the less interesting they were.

On 30/07/2017 at 4:58 AM, AdoraKitty said:

The Chronicles Of Narnia. The amount of wardrobes I climbed into as a child is unreal. 

Yes, I did this, and have met other people who did it to. 

Recently I reread some CS Lewis after a very very long gap (since childhood). The Horse and His boy retained its charm, I have now reread it twice. Its totally politically incorrect as its about the wicked corrupt Calarmorns (probably mispelling this) who are basically arabs or persians, contrasted to the straightforward, good willed, physically active Narnians, but despite that, its fascination for me was in the storytelling culture of the Calarmorns, and their fascinating city, the desert journey between the two lands, not to mention talking horses with horsey personalities and an engaging boy protagonist.

I love the variety of books that are popping up on this thread.

I highly enjoyed reading the Goosebumps books. If I remember correctly, that series is actually what got me into reading. 

I especially enjoyed the "Give Yourself Goosebumps" books. It felt exciting that you had the power to chose the fate of the protagonist(s). The main character was never named in these stories, so you could easily imagine yourself being the protagonist.

Archived