Castlevania on Netflix

Pliskin

Here is the teaser trailer to the animated adaptation of Castlevania on Netflix:

July 7. I personally cannot wait.

Wether it's good or bad, I don't care that much, I just hope that it launches a new trend of western animation. Japan shouldn't be the sole actor in the field. For far too long, western animation confined itself on TV to comedies and children. We really needed this, so thank you Netflix!

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

I wasn't interested in this but after finding out it is written by comic writer Warren Ellis, I may give it a try.

Hopefully unlike his comics it'll be more than 6 episodes and not delayed. I do like his work though and it'll definitely benefit from binge reading as his comics do.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

July 7. I personally cannot wait.

Wether it's good or bad, I don't care that much, I just hope that it launches a new trend of western animation. Japan shouldn't be the sole actor in the field.

I guess we'll want it to be good as I doubt it will launch a new trend if it's awful.

Even though the animators are american it does a good job of fitting in with some anime styles.

Didn't Netflix buy the rights to make shows of several video games a while ago, like altered beast? I guess they would suit an animated style.

I guess if any network can convince audiences of animation outside of Disney/pixar and comedy it'll be netflix. I get the impression Death Note and Attack on Titan dubs have probably helped that. As long as it doesn't mean Netflix will drop the licensed shows once they have their own.

It's remarkable how much Netflix is going for the nostalgia vibe. It's a good idea, mind you, but it's pretty interesting to see their choices in that light.

42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's remarkable how much Netflix is going for the nostalgia vibe. It's a good idea, mind you, but it's pretty interesting to see their choices in that light.

good point - we can probably start making predictions as it's very heavily 80s culture.

I guess Stranger Things greenlit a lot of these projects

Just now, red snow said:

good point - we can probably start making predictions as it's very heavily 80s culture.

I guess Stranger Things greenlit a lot of these projects

Stranger Things, Gilmore Girls, Arrested Development, Voltron, House of Cards to a certain extent. Their deal with Marvel does as well - Marvel and GotG are entirely focused on nostalgia for the cartoons and comics of the 70s and 80s, and happily so. Stranger Things was certainly the most obvious, but that's what we're seeing throughout entertainment as a whole - an appeal largely to the 80s kids.

Just now, Kalbear said:

Stranger Things, Gilmore Girls, Arrested Development, Voltron, House of Cards to a certain extent. Their deal with Marvel does as well - Marvel and GotG are entirely focused on nostalgia for the cartoons and comics of the 70s and 80s, and happily so. Stranger Things was certainly the most obvious, but that's what we're seeing throughout entertainment as a whole - an appeal largely to the 80s kids.

Some of those weren't from the 80s but the nostalgia factor of wanting them back still fits the theme.

In terms of subscribers I wonder whether there's a significant portion of 30-45 year olds with regards to netflix? Although that age range could also potentially be the people making and commissioning those shows which may be a bigger factor than the audience eg people are probably watching who didn't live through the 80s.

If i worked in TV - I'd definitely push for a remake of Knightmare :)

Just now, red snow said:

If i worked in TV - I'd definitely push for a remake of Knightmare :)

Automan!

(but seriously they also did Full House)

oh, holy crap. I know what I want them to do. What I want a Netflix or HBO series to be: MAX FUCKING HEADROOM

Netflix is killing it on so many levels. Their Comedy specials have been better than anything Comedy Central, HBO or Showime have had on offer for the last year or so. Their original programming is aces and their movie selection is pretty damn amazing. If it weren't for Sports Programming, I don't know that I'd even bother with Cable at this point. 

23 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I feel like original programming is all Netflix has going for it right now. There movie selection is pretty poor and Amazon absolutely kills them in that regard.

they are getting better with original movies but amazon is slightly better with ex cinema releases. Although both are pretty poor as amazon usually requires a separate purchase outside prime.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Really like the look of this.

I see it is 4 episodes of 30 minutes, so basically movie length.

If it's a binge release it seems really odd that they aren't just calling it a movie.

8 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

Apparently they are doing the Witcher as well. I wonder if it will be live action or cg? I'd be ok with it being cg if it looks like the trailer Digic pictures did.

I don't know how SFX intense an adaptation would be but I'd like Netflix to have their own live action Fantasy show. Although given the games I can see how CGI might make a certain level of sense.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

If it's a binge release it seems really odd that they aren't just calling it a movie.

It's only part one of season one. Sort of like The Get Down, whose first (and only) season got released in two parts.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I don't know how SFX intense an adaptation would be but I'd like Netflix to have their own live action Fantasy show. Although given the games I can see how CGI might make a certain level of sense.

Would have thought that, given the games, they'd want to do it live action to avoid even more constant comparison to what the games look like and stuff.

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It's only part one of season one. Sort of like The Get Down, whose first (and only) season got released in two parts.

let's hope the split season isn't the reason "the get down" got canned. Although it sounds like Lurmann wasn't heartbroken but probably still underlied bad reception in terms of viewers. The curse of no viewing figures for netflix - which is odd given they can get really accurate info. I suppose if the overall subsriber list is still relatively low, actual figures may serve as bad publicity even if they are good. Although at this point there must be a lot of worldwide subsrcibers

• 1 month later...

I liked the first episode, but:

• Why is the labial synchronization/animation so bad?
  • It may be just because I'm too conditioned with the general hysteria in anime, but I felt like Dracula wasn't showing enough rage when talking to the humans. It's like he didn't even care.

9 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I liked the first episode, but:

• Why is the labial synchronization/animation so bad?
  • It may be just because I'm too conditioned with the general hysteria in anime, but I felt like Dracula wasn't showing enough rage when talking to the humans. It's like he didn't even care.

First point: the animation in general was quite poor. The pictures are pretty, but once they start moving they look bad.

Second point: it was a weird combination of being too big and too small. If it'd been kept small and sinister, his tone would have been fine I thought- the scene with the old lady was far more memorable than the big face of fire.

It was quite good, the first ep, I'll watch more, but it coulda been better. The presentation just didn't quite match up to the ideas.

The final scene in the bar was so Warren Ellis.

Soooooo boring. And it was barely movie length. And nothing happened. And where's the awesome music, werewolves, Grim Reaper, zombies, and Frankenstein? I hate this show thinks it is Game of Thrones--I mean the gore was ridiculous. 

This sucks. Castlevania is my favorite thing in the world. I love everything Castlevania. 

Archived