US Politics: Mueller....Mueller....Mueller...

Kalbear

Wen't through the last few pages of the last thread and did not see anyone talking about this:

WASHINGTON — American spies collected information last summer revealing that senior Russian intelligence and political officials were discussing how to exert influence over Donald J. Trump through his advisers, according to three current and former American officials familiar with the intelligence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/russia-trump-manafort-flynn.html?_r=0

Guys this  was a close one, picking a winner for this week’s Republican Idiot Of The Week. There was just so much competition. It was hard to choose. But, I think we have a winner:

Trent Franks

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/greg-gianforte-assault-montana-republican-reaction/528123/

Republican Representative Trent Franks told MSNBC that he “reject[ed] any kind of thing where we use physical violence in a situation like that, it should not have happened,” but not before leveling blame against liberals. “The left has precipitated this tense, confrontational, approach throughout the country in recent months,” he said.

Effing seriously.

The winning is over and the losing has truly begun in earnest:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/25/trump-v-macron-french-president-appears-to-win-latest-handshake-battle?CMP=fb_gu

For a brief moment it seemed neither man wanted to give up, which would have made everything even more awkward, but in the end Trump relented and loosened his fingers.

The awkwardness may stem from Trump’s tacit support of Macron’s rival Marine Le Pen during the French election. In April, while he claimed he wasn’t “explicitly endorsing” Le Pen, he told the Associated Press she was the “strongest on borders, and she’s the strongest on what’s been going on in France”.

Between the infamy of Trump’s strange handshake and Macron’s apparent look of satisfaction, there was a lot for people to make fun of

And then Trump tried to get revenge! Ugh...everyone in the world is laughing at the US and we deserve it.

6 minutes ago, Week said:

The winning is over and the losing has truly begun in earnest:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/25/trump-v-macron-french-president-appears-to-win-latest-handshake-battle?CMP=fb_gu

And then Trump tried to get revenge! Ugh...everyone in the world is laughing at the US and we deserve it.

I won't embed the video here since it's a no no, but if you go to youtube search Ozzy Man Reviews: Trump's Handshake Wars. Hilarious!

Sorry, but I'm going to briefly add a few remarks about Charles Murray:

@OldGimletEye I don't know if I'd call Charles Murray a Libertarian. He's pretty much classic paleoconservative, like a distilled Ross Douthat. Sure he has a lot of fans among the alt-right adjacent libertarians, but he has a lot of fans everywhere in the alt-right and alt-right adjacent.

@Manhole Eunuchsbane @Channel4s-JonSnow I think that it's a bit of a cop out to say that Murray's book was really about IQ independent of race, and he innocently put some stuff about race in a small portion at the end and was shocked by the backlash. He'd have to have been living in a cave to be surprised it was so controversial.

And the fact that race was only in the last part of his book isn't really a defense in my opinion, either. All the other arguments about the importance of IQ build up to it. It's the denouement, the conclusion to all the other arguments he puts in the book. IT's like saying that Man of Steel was really a slow, touching allegory about an immigrant and adoptee having trouble figuring out his place in America, and all the alien punching is just a short portion at the end.

Just now, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

@OldGimletEye I don't know if I'd call Charles Murray a Libertarian. He's pretty much classic paleoconservative, like a distilled Ross Douthat. Sure he has a lot of fans among the alt-right adjacent libertarians, but he has a lot of fans everywhere in the alt-right and alt-right adjacent.

The problem here is that I think it's difficult to distinguish here between libertarians and the paleoconservatives. Is somebody like Lew Rockwell a paleo or a libertarian? Seems to me hard to make that distinction.

Also it seems to me that somebody like the Rand Paul or his father would agree on lot with the paleo's and that's assuming there is a big distinction.

And I believe Murray defines himself as a libertarian. So there's that.

14 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane @Channel4s-JonSnow I think that it's a bit of a cop out to say that Murray's book was really about IQ independent of race, and he innocently put some stuff about race in a small portion at the end and was shocked by the backlash. He'd have to have been living in a cave to be surprised it was so controversial.

And the fact that race was only in the last part of his book isn't really a defense in my opinion, either. All the other arguments about the importance of IQ build up to it. It's the denouement, the conclusion to all the other arguments he puts in the book. IT's like saying that Man of Steel was really a slow, touching allegory about an immigrant and adoptee having trouble figuring out his place in America, and all the alien punching is just a short portion at the end.

Yeah, I have to add again that I haven't read the book, nor do I fully understand the ramifications of his findings. All I can suggest is that you listen to the podcast and take from it what you will. I will say that I don't think he was shocked at the backlash. In the podcast he discusses the debates he had with his co-author about whether or not they would include it. I think perhaps that the only surprise for him really is that he faced probably the most extreme backlash for it 20 years later, at a lecture on a college campus about a completely different book.

Apparently big business guy is clueless in terms of international trade.

Apparently President Orange Dipshit was complaining about the US trade deficit with the EU in Brussels. Reports suggests he said "Especially the Germans are very very bad", because of the "millions of cars, they are selling in the US." According to a newspaper report [can't post the source, because it's not in English] the EU officials were horrified by how clueless the Americans were with regards to how international trade policies work Apparently it was unclear to the visitors from the US that the EU countries do business agreements as a bloc. Trump's economic adviser Cohn has reportedly said, that the tariffs between the US and Germany differed from those between the US and Belgium.

You sure know how to pick a winner for the highest office.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I have to add again that I haven't read the book, nor do I fully understand the ramifications of his findings. All I can suggest is that you listen to the podcast and take from it what you will. I will say that I don't think he was shocked at the backlash. In the podcast he discusses the debates he had with his co-author about whether or not they would include it. I think perhaps that the only surprise for him really is that he faced probably the most extreme backlash for it 20 years later, at a lecture on a college campus about a completely different book.

Similar to the antivaccer who was proven to have lied having a lot more backlash now than they did when they first published. Turns out being wrong and then doubling down on the wrongness isn't the good look you might think it is.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Similar to the antivaccer who was proven to have lied having a lot more backlash now than they did when they first published. Turns out being wrong and then doubling down on the wrongness isn't the good look you might think it is.

Eh, not sure that's comparable here. Murray (and his co-author) certainly faced a ton of backlash for the book when it was first published. I don't think he is making the same claim that the antivaccer is. It's just that the backlash didn't manifest as violence until a few years ago at the Middlebury College lecture. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, not sure that's comparable here. Murray (and his co-author) certainly faced a ton of backlash for the book when it was first published. I don't think he is making the same claim that the antivaccer is. It's just that the backlash didn't manifest as violence until a few years ago at the Middlebury College lecture. 

Promoting eugenics views right now is probably a smidgen more disruptive, especially when you're doing it not scientifically any more.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Promoting eugenics views right now is probably a smidgen more disruptive, especially when you're doing it not scientifically any more.

Well yeah, the resulting riot is proof positive of that. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so surprised to have been threatened with violence? Seems to be a fairly universal human reaction to being physically threatened, I'd think.

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What an asshole. He's just wholly unapologetic.

All that applause and gold in Saudi and Israel puffed him up again.  He's probably not hearing anything from home . . . .

Archived