ASOIAF in everyday life... Gooble Gobble...

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have confidence that The Winds of Winter will be announced soon in 2018 to be released (shhhhut it! I heard that :lol:)

In the real world we have this info, which of course reminds me of the big cliffhanger GRRM left us at the end of ADWD. Some guy got shanked. And the northern magics/first men/CotF/free Folk are based as much on Native American history as they are the Norse/Celt combo.

• In Native American cultures which tracked the calendar by the Moons, December’s Full Moon was known as the Full Cold Moon. It is fittingly associated with the month when the winter cold fastens its grip and the nights become long and dark.

This Full Moon is also called the Long Nights Moon by some Native American tribes because it occurs near the winter solstice—the day with the least amount of daylight.

• In Native American and early Colonial times, the Full Moon for January was called the Full Wolf Moon. It appeared when wolves howled in hunger outside the villages.

Traditionally, the January Moon is also known as the Old Moon. To some Native American tribes, this was the Snow Moon, but most applied that name to the next Full Moon, in February.

For some fun moon name reading, and some dreams of spring, click the link below.

https://www.almanac.com/content/full-moon-names

HAPPY 2018 EVERYONE! :cheers:

To you as well @The Fattest Leech!

• 2 months later...

How did i miss all this fun?   I will throw in.   Back before I read the books I happened to find myself behind a car covered in ASOIAFisms  Winter Is Coming, Cercei/Qyburn 2016, A Lannister always pays his debts, A man who reads...I heard some co workers discussing the show and heard Winter is Coming from them once and asked.    I've since ended up behind more Winter is Coming stickers and a strange lot of young men with half red/half white hair.   A young man I know is a machinist.   He needed a tool at work and when no one admitted to having the tool he called the group a bunch of Lannisters.  The guy at Target wears a red I demand Trial by Combat shirt at the register.  A customer was building something on Bolton Road in Los Angeles and all I could do was answer "Our Blades are Sharp", appropriately I think.   

25 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

A customer was building something on Bolton Road in Los Angeles and all I could do was answer "Our Blades are Sharp", appropriately I think.   

:lol:

Perfect! 

1 hour ago, Walda said:

It sent an chill down my spine when I heard Bolton had become Trump's national security advisor.

Oh

My

Gawd!

I have been busy digging my own escapé tunnels the last few hours since I read that :leaving:

• 4 weeks later...

So, my boys play competitive ice hockey. Several of the little one's teammates are going to play in a tournament, but not with the regular team. One of the fathers asked what color jerseys the boys should wear. After I told them that my boy only has green, blue, and black, I had to bite my lip to keep from saying, "I know, I know, oh, oh, oh." 

23 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, my boys play competitive ice hockey. Several of the little one's teammates are going to play in a tournament, but not with the regular team. One of the fathers asked what color jerseys the boys should wear. After I told them that my boy only has green, blue, and black, I had to bite my lip to keep from saying, "I know, I know, oh, oh, oh." 

Nice ^_^

When one of the several April snow storms hit my area, I posted the following on Facebook.

A little bit of Westeros today: "The False Spring of 281 AC lasted less than two turns. As the year drew to a close, winter returned to Westeros with a vengeance. On the last day of the year, snow began to fall upon King's Landing, and a crust of ice formed atop the Blackwater Rush. The snowfall continued off and on for the best part of a fortnight, by which time the Blackwater was hard frozen, and icicles draped the roofs and gutters of every tower in the city.

"As cold winds hammered the city, King Aerys II turned to his pyromancers, charging them to drive the winter off with their magics. Huge green fires burned along the walls of the Red Keep for a moon's turn."

My boss asked whether I had any pyromancers handy and I explained about magic vs. science in the books, wildfire and the pun on pyromancer and pyre romance. She said she felt very enlightened. (I'm sure she's relieved to know that I'm such a nerd in private life.)

8 minutes ago, Seams said:

When one of the several April snow storms hit my area, I posted the following on Facebook.

My boss asked whether I had any pyromancers handy and I explained about magic vs. science in the books, wildfire and the pun on pyromancer and pyre romance. She said she felt very enlightened. (I'm sure she's relieved to know that I'm such a nerd in private life.)

I love this because I do this type of thing all the time! 

And :tantrum: with the still snow in April!?!?:angry2:

Just earlier when I was  picking up dinner and the guys behind the counter were talking about making carvings as a hobby, one wood and the other soapstone (or something). The stone guy said he used something that looked like salt, and I chuckled and said to myself , “that was Val.” 

Archived