ASOIAF in everyday life... Gooble Gobble...

What am I becoming?

A couple of days ago I heard this item on the news, with the horrific addition that the tortured child's mother had been decapitated.

My first thought:

"The night before a woman’s head was found in the Great Sept, floating in the rainbow pool. No one seems to know how it got there or who it belongs to.”
“How dreadful,” Varys said with a shudder.

(AGoT, Ch.27 Eddard VI)

7 minutes ago, Walda said:

What am I becoming?

Gooble gobble :cheers:

7 minutes ago, Walda said:

A couple of days ago I heard this item on the news, with the horrific addition that the tortured child's mother had been decapitated.

My first thought:

(AGoT, Ch.27 Eddard VI)

Ooph! That's an upsetting story.

This is my favorite time of year because people are always talking about how cold it is. So I get to say, "well, Winter is coming." 

People used to wonder what the 7 hells I was talking about, but since the you-know-what came out people now know. 

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not that fun to say anymore. I rather enjoyed the 'confused that I would say something so obvious with such confidence' reaction. The saying might be a little played out for my friends and coworkers.

I'm going to have to think of a new cold weather catch phrase...

Speaking of Catch Phrase ... I was playing the game with some friends a few weeks ago. The word 'fox' came up on my turn. I immediately thought of The Widow of the Waterfront because Tyrion describes her as 

There was something vulpine about the way the woman sat in her corner by the courtyard, 

and 

"She will never reach Qarth. Benerro has seen it in his fires." The crone smiled a vulpine smile.

So, obviously I shout, "vulpine!" 

We got the point. 

14 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I developed an affinity for lemon cake and learned how to bake it.

And yes I have been using "by the Old Gods and the New" as well,

Done some recipes from the cook book.

That's about it.

Man, I get nervous even around lemonade now. Sh!t always goes south when lemons appear. 

Daggonit! I can't even look at artwork without connecting it to ASOAIF.

This instantly made me think of the forests of the north, and the north... (I hope the link works. I have a hard time with links)

http://www.rovinacai.com/portfolio/tom-thom/

https://www.tor.com/2016/02/03/tom-thom-km-ferebee/

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Daggonit! I can't even look at artwork without connecting it to ASOAIF.

This instantly made me think of the forests of the north, and the north... (I hope the link works. I have a hard time with links)

http://www.rovinacai.com/portfolio/tom-thom/

Awesome, can totally see it!

10 minutes ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

“The justice system’s flawed, but can you really think of a better alternative?”

Me: Trial by combat!

Is this you??? 

https://abovethelaw.com/2016/03/judge-admits-trial-by-combat-is-available-in-new-york-then-declines-to-order-it/

I love that trial by combat.  We always use that at review time at work.   A young man I know has taken to calling people he doesn't like at his work "You stinking Lannisters!"

A customer ordered my product to be delivered on Bolton Road in Los Angeles.   I immediately stated "Our Blades are Sharp!"--customer had no idea what I meant but the co workers liked it.   

On 11/22/2017 at 6:26 AM, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

So my coworker told me he was going on a date with this new guy and he was a big ASOIAF fan.  I got a little too... invested in these two working out.  Especially when he was showing me a text message that said he ships Sansan, Gendry x Arya, and Val x Jon.  My coworker is only lowkey interested in the show and had to ask me who Val was.  I admit I had no chill at that point.  Seriously, I wanted to meet this guy!  When they didn't really hit it off I was actually a bit sad about it.  :lol:   

Inner Littlefinger whispers: "break them up, take him for yourself"

35 minutes ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

“The justice system’s flawed, but can you really think of a better alternative?”

Me: Trial by combat!

That would be dope, just not to death, anyone can yield at any point and just blunt wooden weapons (call me a pessy) and plate armor.

5 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

When I get called "Sir".

Depending on the setting, I either have to restrain myself, or immediately answer, "I am no Ser."

If it's someone who knows the books I'll add, "I am no knight.  I spit on them and their vows."

I've also become a fan of, "Bugger that.  Bugger him. Bugger you."

Yeah, I've used a few "buggers" too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have confidence that The Winds of Winter will be announced soon in 2018 to be released (shhhhut it! I heard that :lol:)

In the real world we have this info, which of course reminds me of the big cliffhanger GRRM left us at the end of ADWD. Some guy got shanked. And the northern magics/first men/CotF/free Folk are based as much on Native American history as they are the Norse/Celt combo.

• In Native American cultures which tracked the calendar by the Moons, December’s Full Moon was known as the Full Cold Moon. It is fittingly associated with the month when the winter cold fastens its grip and the nights become long and dark.

This Full Moon is also called the Long Nights Moon by some Native American tribes because it occurs near the winter solstice—the day with the least amount of daylight.

• In Native American and early Colonial times, the Full Moon for January was called the Full Wolf Moon. It appeared when wolves howled in hunger outside the villages.

Traditionally, the January Moon is also known as the Old Moon. To some Native American tribes, this was the Snow Moon, but most applied that name to the next Full Moon, in February.

• A Dance with Dragons - Jon XII

Jon turned in his saddle, frowning. And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter and woke giants from the earth. That huge horn with its bands of old gold, incised with ancient runes … had Mance Rayder lied to him, or was Tormund lying now? If Mance's horn was just a feint, where is the true horn?
    By afternoon the sun had gone, and the day turned grey and gusty. "A snow sky," Tormund announced grimly.
    Others had seen the same omen in those flat white clouds. It seemed to spur them on to haste. Tempers began to fray. One man was stabbed when he tried to slip in ahead of others who had been hours in the column. Toregg wrenched the knife away from his attacker, dragged both men from the press, and sent them back to the wildling camp to start again.  [This happens one chapter before Jon is stabbed]

For some fun moon name reading, and some dreams of spring, click the link below.

https://www.almanac.com/content/full-moon-names

HAPPY 2018 EVERYONE! :cheers:

Archived